•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 3)

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#26 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:03 PM

thanks

l am a Swift collecter BTW...or try to be ,,lol

l have the SWift 7x35 Neptune Mark II also..

lm going to look up the JB/E numbers on it

l heard these were quite good and expensive,,,

would they have better views you think..

lm thinking they would but not sure..

Edited by lit, 11 January 2018 - 06:07 PM.

• Wayne Costigan likes this

#27 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:13 PM

thanks

l am a Swift collecter BTW...or try to be ,,lol

l have the SWift 7x35 Neptune Mark II also..

lm going to look up the JB/E numbers on it

l heard these were quite good and expensive,,,

would they have better views you think..

lm thinking they would but not sure..

l just see SK inside a triangle ,,they are really like feather light,,,very sharp Views just now looked out the window at trees..very bright image..sharp flat field

what would the SK mean?

thanks

Edited by lit, 11 January 2018 - 06:14 PM.

#28 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

• Loc: Wingdale, NY

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:24 PM

Never handled the Neptune or a MKII version of same! Is it a wide angle bin, by chance? Bak-4 or 7s? 

If Bak-4, I'd imagine the views would be better from the Neptune. And if the Neptune is wide, then the Triton will be tighter, but crisp. Depending on what prisms the Neptune has, the Triton should be as nice if the former sports Bk-7s, also. 

I was going to just collect Swifts, especially those with the long focus cylinders that others despise. Got side tracked, and now many other brands have snuck into the house, somehow. Sneaky little buggers...

Addendum: NO clue what the SK stands for, and I've seen that, also.

Edited by Wayne Costigan, 11 January 2018 - 06:26 PM.

• lit likes this

#29 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:53 PM

exit pupils look oval/slightly round

there is no circle R in Swift Logo

395 feet/1000

#30 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

exit pupils look oval/slightly round

there is no circle R in Swift Logo

395 feet/1000

Okay, so pre-1960. Bk-7s look diamond shaped with shadows along the edges of the straight sides. Bak-4 looks perfectly round. If not round, yours are 7s with same width as a Triton, so the only difference is in the manufacture. The Triton should have views as good, if not better than the Neptune, IMO, as most have naught but praise for this long time workhorse of the Swift line. 

IF you have a bin with confirmed Bak-4s, compare them to the Neptune to make sure.  If the Neptune DOES have 4s, I'd expect the Neptune to be a better performer. 

I'm expecting the arrival of a Holiday MKII, allegedly with Bak-4s, but another here has a set with Bk-7s! Ya just never know. Which makes it an awesome hobby. 

• lit likes this

#31 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

l also have a pair of those Hoildays Mark II as well

l will look em over tomorow in the daylight////

#32 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:58 PM

"Most" of the Swift "Mark II" binoculars will be BaK4, and "Most" of the Swift "Mark I" binoculars will be Bk7. I had thought those rules were absolute until I saw a couple Mark II binoculars with Bk7 prisms. Though in one case, I think it was a mistake at the factory. The Holiday has always been BaK4, though you will find one example from the BirdForum that had Bk7 prisms. The Sport King has always been Bk7. The Audubon has always been BaK4, right from the very beginning.

Edited by SMark, 11 January 2018 - 08:58 PM.

• Wayne Costigan and lit like this

#33 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:09 PM

l also have a pair of those Hoildays Mark II as well

l will look em over tomorow in the daylight////

There ya go! Compare the Holidays exit pupils to the Neptunes, and let us know. 

#34 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

"Most" of the Swift "Mark II" binoculars will be BaK4, and "Most" of the Swift "Mark I" binoculars will be Bk7. I had thought those rules were absolute until I saw a couple Mark II binoculars with Bk7 prisms. Though in one case, I think it was a mistake at the factory. The Holiday has always been BaK4, though you will find one example from the BirdForum that had Bk7 prisms. The Sport King has always been Bk7. The Audubon has always been BaK4, right from the very beginning.

Have a Holiday II coming this Saturday and am hoping it is Bak-4. Had read about the one with 7s. Wonder if the owner made an error.

For a Bk-7 bin, the Swift Sport King is just unbelievable, IMHO. My Tamron is beautiful. It easily beat a Manon 7x35 11 degree that had 4s!

That one had such a small sweet spot that, even if it was technically superior to that of the Swift's, the wide soft edges ruined it for me. Others, especially if that is your sole 11 wide, may not even notice, and love their Manon. Otherwise it was a well made binocular. 

• lit likes this

#35 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:00 PM

If you are getting the Holiday that I think you are getting, it's an early model and it's my favorite variant. Mine has no JB numbers, but it's pretty clearly a Tamron. So it's likely a J-B45 / J-E47, as the next variant out did have those JB numbers. After that, the next variant had the J-B26 / J-E45. Though I have one that is actually very unique, and I've never seen this before in any variant of any model... It's a J-B42 / J-E45. I'm thinking that this may have been a mistake, as I've never seen another J-B42 binocular.

That one with the Bk7 prisms was a later J-B56 model, and if you look at the Sport King of that era, it looks exactly the same other than the prisms and the name. I expect that someone at the factory grabbed the wrong prisms. It's not unheard of. I've seen this with the Tasco 110. In fact, I've seen two Tasco 110s that had upper prisms Bk7, and lower prisms BaK4. All should have been BaK4. They were likely making the 118 at the same bench and just got the prisms mixed up.

#36 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:04 PM

If you are getting the Holiday that I think you are getting, it's an early model and it's my favorite variant. Mine has no JB numbers, but it's pretty clearly a Tamron. So it's likely a J-B45 / J-E47, as the next variant out did have those JB numbers. After that, the next variant had the J-B26 / J-E45. Though I have one that is actually very unique, and I've never seen this before in any variant of any model... It's a J-B42 / J-E45. I'm thinking that this may have been a mistake, as I've never seen another J-B42 binocular.

That one with the Bk7 prisms was a later J-B56 model, and if you look at the Sport King of that era, it looks exactly the same other than the prisms and the name. I expect that someone at the factory grabbed the wrong prisms. It's not unheard of. I've seen this with the Tasco 110. In fact, I've seen two Tasco 110s that had upper prisms Bk7, and lower prisms BaK4. All should have been BaK4. They were likely making the 118 at the same bench and just got the prisms mixed up.

Now that's interesting, as I have a 12.5 degree 7x35 that has a chipped Bak-4 prism, and was wondering what it would look like if I substitute a 7.

How can you tell one is a 4 or 7 just by looking at them on the bench? I've had both out on the kitchen table and saw no markings to identify which is which. One may be slightly heavier, I guess, due to different densities of the glass used.

And if I did use, say, two matching 7s in that 12.5 to balance out the views, I was thinking of making the 4s the ones that shoots the view into the EPs. This way, the incoming light is filtered through the 4s instead of the 7s, and would be at a different frequency (?) and may look better. 

#37 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:19 PM

Have a good lead on a really nice condition Bushnell 8X40 marked FPO. They go on sale 20% off starting February 1st. Will be at the store before they open. Need a cleaning and lube job, but no fungus, thank god, and everything works fine, just real stiff. Carry strap and old case, also.  

#38 brentwood

brentwood

Soyuz

• Loc: SW BC Canada

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:31 PM

"Have a good lead on a really nice condition Bushnell 8X40 marked FPO"

Are these marked 'Featherweight'? SB really nice of they are.

#39 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:54 PM

Yup, and my wife was shocked at how light for their size they were. Asking $45 now. 

#40 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:55 PM

Yeah, like this one here... smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2872.JPG
  • IMG_2861.JPG
  • IMG_2818.JPG
  • IMG_2830.JPG

#41 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:36 AM

OMG! Look at the tag on the inside top cover! Mirakel Optical Co.  See the posts above about the Mirakel Swift Triton on Ebay!!!

Mystery solved. 

#42 brentwood

brentwood

Soyuz

• Loc: SW BC Canada

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:45 AM

You had those on here before haven't you Mark? Not that long ago?

#43 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:36 AM

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG             

This will be the second Focal I've added to my collection. The first being a rather unique, standard sized 7x35 12 degree I posted earlier, that uses a weak focal reducer lens on the prism pate.

This one had been on the pile to sell until I took it out and began fiddling with it.

The Quick Focus is normally not a type to my liking, but on this bin, it seems as if they just took the standard fine threaded focus shaft and mated it to a wider paddle type focus cylinder. So that when operated, it makes a really wide arc of slow, precise travel. Unlike most fast focus setups that zip the focus shaft so rapidly, one tends to pass the sweet spot far too easily. And I've seen a few where it was tough to hold focus. Pressure on the EP bridge would force the whole unit down, due, no doubt, to the quick pitch of the threading used. Not this one! Solid as a rock.

Another thing I found pretty interesting is the size and weight. This one is about 1/3 the size and heft of my other 8X40 wide, a Zenith 10 degree. And being Fully Coated, it is noticeably brighter than the Zenith that has just Coated optics. Both sport BK-7 prisms.The sweet spot on this Focal/Siam Cat is huge! I'd guess 85%, perhaps more. And the rather small-for-a-wide-angle bin EPs are protected by an attached ocular guard.  I wish all binoculars came so equipped. Sears was known for providing one on most of their models. The ends of the objective bell housings are rubber covered. 

This JB-133 model has superb fit and finish. The chassis covering consists of a small suction cup shaped raised pattern, in lieu of the pebble grain finish of earlier years. With its roll down rubber eyecups, quick focus, and square stiff leather case, I'd guess these are from the mid to late 1970s.  Although I just noticed the number 88 on the right prism cover in what looks to be a serial # of sorts: 20-20-88. Maybe a dedicated Focal collector could chime in. They are in minty condition with two objective covers, the JTII sticker on the bin in pristine shape, its original desiccant packet and instruction booklet. 

Haven't opened them up, yet, because there are no issues inside or out. May just pop the hood to see if there is another reducer lens in there. Don't know if one was required to obtain the 9 degree FoV in such a svelette and compact package. All in all a nice little binocular that just begged to stay. One, it turned out, I could not say no to. 

Edited by Wayne Costigan, 12 January 2018 - 08:41 AM.

• lit likes this

#44 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:54 AM

Yeah, I actually sold this one on eBay mid-2015 to a guy who only had a few months to live. He had gotten one of these from his dad years ago, but lost them in a house fire. He wanted another one just like it so he could use it spending his last months studying nature with his young daughter, and then leaving the binocular with her when he passed. It was very touching the way he described it all to me. I hope it all went the way he envisioned it.

• Mad Matt, brentwood and Wayne Costigan like this

#45 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:34 AM

Yeah, I actually sold this one on eBay mid-2015 to a guy who only had a few months to live. He had gotten one of these from his dad years ago, but lost them in a house fire. He wanted another one just like it so he could use it spending his last months studying nature with his young daughter, and then leaving the binocular with her when he passed. It was very touching the way he described it all to me. I hope it all went the way he envisioned it.

Somewhere in that touching story is a Lifetime Network made for television movie, I'm sure. 

#46 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:37 AM

What year or decade do you think these were made? They look near mint! Did you have work done on them? What were the views like? I'm assuming  Bk-7 prisms. And how the heck did they manage to make them so light?!?!

#47 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

OMG! Look at the tag on the inside top cover! Mirakel Optical Co.  See the posts above about the Mirakel Swift Triton on Ebay!!!

Mystery solved. 

hi

so it then looks like Mirakel Optical Co. has played a role of some kind anyway in Swift and Bushnell older binoculars.it would be nice to know the History of them...

#48 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:28 AM

hi

my Hoilday mark ll 7x35 have the BE 45 stamp on one hinge and  J   6 on the other hinge

round exit pupils 

has the R circle by the logo 

578 ft/1000yds.

fully coated feather weight

my Neptunes Mark ll are much lighter

the exit pupils of the Neptunes look alot like the Hoildays in a round about away

cept they have a gibbous almost  a full moon type look to them

they same way l see the giboous moon right before a full moon look

like edge of a prism is slightly blocked off ?

#49 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:32 AM

Mystery solved. 

hi

so it then looks like Mirakel Optical Co. has played a role of some kind anyway in Swift and Bushnell older binoculars.it would be nice to know the History of them...

mirakeloptical.com

• lit likes this

#50 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:51 AM

looks like they been around a long time over 93 years from 2016 ad

so around 95 years now

were noted for excellent binocular repairs from there site

intersting

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics