•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 3)

• Please log in to reply
752 replies to this topic

#51 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

looks like they been around a long time over 93 years from 2016 ad

so around 95 years now

were noted for excellent binocular repairs from there site

intersting

strange

now l remember seeing some of those ads form the 60s when l was little

#52 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

• Loc: Wingdale, NY

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

so around 95 years now

intersting

May be just a shadow of their former selves, and just a tiny web company with one guy cleaning //repairing optics and selling a very few models. I notice no update on their site since 2016, but still sent for their free catalog. They used to be located just south of me in Westchester County, Still in the state in a town I heard of ,but have to look up just exactly where it is. 

I can just imagine the original brick and mortar store, circa 1965, where folks went in dressed in their Sunday best to finally invest the family funds in a BINOCULAR! These things were quite pricey consumer goods, almost a status symbol, back then. Which is why my folks with six children never had one in the house.  Now Chinese made ones can be picked up for $20 at the register in the Spring and Summer with those garish red coated objectives staring at you.

#53 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:14 AM

yes lm going to send off for a catalog ,,

almost everything is on the web now..one just dont send off for free catalogs nowdays

def. thing form the 60s... 50s  blast from the  past

must admit l miss the old brick/motar shops,,,although things were very expensive in those

a Blast from the Past so to speak.........yes

yet were good ole days,,but expensive

Edited by lit, 12 January 2018 - 10:21 AM.

• Wayne Costigan likes this

#54 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

almost everything is on the web now..one just dont send off for free catalogs nowdays

must admit l miss the old brick/motar shops,,,although things were very expensive in those

a Blast from the Past so to speak

them old 35mm cameras SLR..etc..now they were just as expensive back then

in them old shops

l remeber those

cant recall if they were higher then binoculars but l think they was

#55 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

lm starting to play Telesar least once a day now on my computer

lol

just for these old memories..

#56 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:39 AM

so around 95 years now

intersting

May be just a shadow of their former selves, and just a tiny web company with one guy cleaning //repairing optics and selling a very few models. I notice no update on their site since 2016, but still sent for their free catalog. They used to be located just south of me in Westchester County, Still in the state in a town I heard of ,but have to look up just exactly where it is. 

I can just imagine the original brick and mortar store, circa 1965, where folks went in dressed in their Sunday best to finally invest the family funds in a BINOCULAR! These things were quite pricey consumer goods, almost a status symbol, back then. Which is why my folks with six children never had one in the house.  Now Chinese made ones can be picked up for $20 at the register in the Spring and Summer with those garish red coated objectives staring at you.

l was thinking

since you are really close

may be a good place to get your binocular work.repais done

just walk them in...

l may send in pair in to get serviced sometime

Edited by lit, 12 January 2018 - 10:54 AM.

#57 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

so around 95 years now

intersting

l was thinking

since you are really close

may be a good place to get your binocular work.repais done

just walk them in...

l may send in pair in to get serviced sometime

I usually do my own, but nice to have  a real pro nearby. 

#58 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:17 AM

a Blast from the Past so to speak.........yes

Expensive cause they were made better! And folks then cared for them, too. We are benefitting from their totally different value system that stressed value in all things, including face-to-face transactions with neighbors and townspeople. A whole other world destroyed for the sake of profits. And that's the "bottom line."

• EverlastingSky, lit and LostInStool like this

#59 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

l wonder if they still have a store front..

seems to me they still do

maybe you can check it out sometime

and let us know

Edited by lit, 12 January 2018 - 11:23 AM.

#60 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:41 AM

l wonder if they still have a store front..

seems to me they still do

maybe you can check it out sometime

and let us know

Yes, talked to the wife about going just this morn! Will call first to see if a visit is possible. Would love to see their repair shop, also. 

#61 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

"Have a good lead on a really nice condition Bushnell 8X40 marked FPO"

Are these marked 'Featherweight'? SB really nice of they are.

Yeah, like this one here... smile.gif

What year or decade do you think these were made? They look near mint! Did you have work done on them? What were the views like? I'm assuming  Bk-7 prisms. And how the heck did they manage to make them so light?!?!

It was from the mid-'50s and did have BaK4 prisms. When I bought it, it was shipped to me with inadequate packaging and one of the prisms was cracked. It took many months for me to find another one on eBay, but an old nasty looking one did show up eventually. Fortunately, it also had BaK4 prisms. I sent the lot to Cory Suddarth, and he made it good as new again. I didn't really want to sell it, but I had started buying Mark 43's and Mark 41's and needed to raise some cash. 

#62 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:48 AM

How about a little riddle for you vintage fans. This just came in and was promptly ripped apart for cleaning... Lets see who can guess what it is. grin.gif

IMG 5762

Have fun cool.gif

Edited by Mad Matt, 12 January 2018 - 11:57 AM.

#63 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:27 PM

How about a little riddle for you vintage fans. This just came in and was promptly ripped apart for cleaning... Lets see who can guess what it is. grin.gif

Have fun cool.gif

lm baffled....

dont know..

maybe a old Zeiss

Edited by lit, 12 January 2018 - 12:28 PM.

#64 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:30 PM

Roof.. don’t see any baffles;-)

Peter

#65 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

my Swift Storm kings have JB 2 on the hinge and that is all

anyone know what that would mean

round exit pupils

383 ft/1000yd

fully coated  water prooof

#66 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

No, not Zeiss... not even German 😁

#67 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

hi

my Hoilday mark ll 7x35 have the BE 45 stamp on one hinge and  J   6 on the other hinge

round exit pupils 

has the R circle by the logo 

578 ft/1000yds.

fully coated feather weight

my Neptunes Mark ll are much lighter

the exit pupils of the Neptunes look alot like the Hoildays in a round about away

cept they have a gibbous almost  a full moon type look to them

they same way l see the giboous moon right before a full moon look

like edge of a prism is slightly blocked off ?

Look closer and you may find that the JB-6 is actually JB-26 with the 2 painted over or not struck as hard when first punched in. JB-26 made a lot of models for Swift. 

Wonder why one is so much lighter. Could one be made from magnesium?

Mirakel Optical is about 65 miles north of me, a 1.5 hour drive. Something to do one lazy Saturday. I'll take pics. 

• lit likes this

#68 Wayne Costigan

Wayne Costigan

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:46 PM

my Swift Storm kings have JB 2 on the hinge and that is all

anyone know what that would mean

round exit pupils

383 ft/1000yd

fully coated  water prooof

Google :"Japanese Optics Codes" or some variation, and there are lists of all, or most, JB-#s and the name of the company who made them. 

#69 brentwood

brentwood

Soyuz

• Loc: SW BC Canada

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:49 PM

No, not Zeiss... not even German

There goes my guess! I was going to say an ELCAN ! Anyone ever look through one of these? They were made in Canada by Leica for the military but a few civilian version were sold. They had one at a fishing lodge I went to once. They were just lying around the lounge. They were exquisite! BTW the lodge was in a BLACK zone and even though we were at sea level, the sky was unbelievable, even more so through the Elcans!

• Mad Matt and Wayne Costigan like this

#70 Ant1

Ant1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

Really easy for those who know :)

BTW when reassembling be sure to adjust prism position (those 3 screws attaching the prism cage to the housing) to provide good basic alignment because the eccentric rings don't provide much adjustment.

Ant1

#71 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

hi

my Hoilday mark ll 7x35 have the BE 45 stamp on one hinge and  J   6 on the other hinge

round exit pupils 

has the R circle by the logo 

578 ft/1000yds.

fully coated feather weight

my Neptunes Mark ll are much lighter

the exit pupils of the Neptunes look alot like the Hoildays in a round about away

cept they have a gibbous almost  a full moon type look to them

they same way l see the giboous moon right before a full moon look

like edge of a prism is slightly blocked off ?

Look closer and you may find that the JB-6 is actually JB-26 with the 2 painted over or not struck as hard when first punched in. JB-26 made a lot of models for Swift. 

Wonder why one is so much lighter. Could one be made from magnesium?

Mirakel Optical is about 65 miles north of me, a 1.5 hour drive. Something to do one lazy Saturday. I'll take pics. 

yes

l see the 2 now

it is very very faint

thanks

#72 lit

lit

Viking 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:13 PM

yes

it will nice/ or rather Great to see pics of that place Mirakel Optical

thanks so much

#73 FrankL

FrankL

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:24 PM

Really easy for those who know smile.gif

BTW when reassembling be sure to adjust prism position (those 3 screws attaching the prism cage to the housing) to provide good basic alignment because the eccentric rings don't provide much adjustment.

Ant1

And it’s a famous wide angle binocular as well.

#74 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

Ok, time to lift the veil of secrecy...

IMG 5765

I actually have two of these now. bigshock.gif (Funny how that keeps happening to me)

A special thanks goes not to Ant1 for hooking me up with the ones that are shown intact above. Merci beaucoup Ant1, vous êtes le meilleur! (hope that translated ok)

So now on to what these are... These are 50's vintage Huet 8x40 Naval binoculars with a true 11° (ok it is really 10.9°) FoV bigshock.gif
Edge sharpness you ask? These have a little aspheric magic built into the eyepieces... A quick comparison to my Swift Audubon's shows the edge sharpness of the Huet at 88° AFoV to be about the same as the Audubon's at 71°. The best part is that only the outer 10-15% is where the image degrades. With such a large FoV the degradation way out there is not very noticeable as our brains have learned to ignore peripheral unsharpness since we where babies.

I ended up with two because when I started looking for these, Ant1 was friendly enough to point me to a pair on a local french classified that where at a fair price. I had also found a pair on eBay that looked like they had a little mildew and I contacted the seller pointing it out and ask him to double check. He responded that there was mildew so I made a "for parts" offer and he was very fair and accepted.

I opened them up to only to have little bits of broken glass fall out... I was shocked and thought the prisms where trashed... but no... nothing wrong with them. It seems there was major damage done to a prism at some point in the past and the French naval optical technician replaced it. Some pretty sizeable pieces of glass where apparently stuck to the grease that they use to coat the insides of the tubes (typical for military binoculars). The optical tech did not clean out all the glass so at some point in time the glass pieces dislodged and bounced around leaving mildew like trails of grease everywhere. All I have to do is clean these babies up and they will be optically as good as new grin.gif

Once I get a little more time with these I will do an in depth write up in a separate thread.

(and for the two or three people here that are familiar with these, the one currently being cleaned is a Mod. 1959, the one pictured below is a Mod. 1953)

Edited by Mad Matt, 12 January 2018 - 05:44 PM.

• Foss and Wayne Costigan like this

#75 PEterW

PEterW

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:10 PM

.... featherlight, easy to use... makes one wonder what the heavier models are made of??!!

Peter

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics