•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 3)

• Please log in to reply
752 replies to this topic

#751 Pinewood

Pinewood

Apollo

• Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W

Posted 16 June 2019 - 03:39 PM

Here is another French binocular, a BBT Krauss 6x24, from the 1940's, when Paris was occupied by the Nazis.  It came equipped with a reticle for the left telescope, which has disappeared. Underneath the left focussing ring is another ring, le micromètre orinentable, a way of rotating the reticle so it might be horizontal, no matter the IPD.  By the late 1930's the French Army had moved to 8x30, as its standard binocular, so it was obsolete for the French.  You may note that underneath the word "Décigrades," which has been lightly scored, on the left hand prism, "H/6400" was engraved, which is typical of the German Army.  I suspect that basing a reticle on 6400 was easier than on  6280 milligradians, but that does not mean that a French reticle was actually replaced.  On the right prism plate there is an engraving of a white circle, an indication of which lubricant was required.

So this binocular was either seized by the Germans and modified or contracted by the Germans in occupied France.  As the Wehrmacht standard binocular was the 6x30, I surmise that it was supposed to be supplied to other Axis forces, probably fighting on the Russian front:  Spanish, Italian, Bulgarian, etc.,  or units raised in German occupied territories like Denmark and the Netherlands.  I purchased the binocular from the UK, so I  have doubts that it actually reached Axis forces.  Sometimes binoculars raise questions which may never be answered.

The contemporary Kern 6x24, made for the Swiss Army,  has a larger FOV and is heavier and therefore feels better constructed.  However, I think the BBT Krauss might still be useful for travel as it is relatively small and light.  Of course, it is uncoated.

Clear skies,

Arthur

Attached Thumbnails

• BBT 6x24.jpeg
  • 6x24.jpeg

Edited by Pinewood, 16 June 2019 - 04:31 PM.

• SMark, CAAD9 and shredder1656 like this

#752 DougH1

DougH1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

Hi Everyone,

Brand new here. My first post! My sister-in-law has a condo at the beach. I thought it would be nice to give her some binoculars. Anyway, since then, (the last couple of weeks), I have been sucked into the world of binoculars. And I ended up on this site a lot when looking up info on some old binos. Anyway, so I just bough a pair of Shrine Manon 10x50 5.5 on ebay for $25 total, (for me, not my sister-in-law). I'm hoping for the best, but expecting not a whole lot. I haven't received them yet, but I noticed that one of the eye cups is missing. Arrgghh. So I'm going to need one. Does anyone know where to get eyecups similar to the one's they came with? Is there a common size for this era of Japanese binoculars? Any info on the binos would be interesting too.

Thanks

Doug

Shrine Manon 10x50 5.5
Album: Shrine Manon 10x50 5.5
5 images
0 comments

Edited by DougH1, 21 June 2019 - 08:02 PM.

• CAAD9 likes this

#753 SMark

SMark

Soyuz

• Loc: Atlanta, GA USA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:58 PM

Hi Doug,

Welcome to CN. First question... do you wear glasses? If you do, you may not really need to replace it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics