•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Computer to scope connection please

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nikonuser

Nikonuser

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: wales, GB

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:51 AM

Ok  I have checked as many places as I can but nothing for the idiots like me

I got the transportable Evolution 8" Edhe Celestron for my retirement in December

I have the USB hand controller also imaged

How the FLIP do you connect the computer to the telescope to use it remotely

I assume you of course plug a USB into the pc - pc to hand controller which - is plugged into the scope

Then what.

Thanks

In PLAIN ENGLISH please

Attached Thumbnails

• P1050459.jpg
  • IMG_20180107_1047504541.jpg

#2 Nikonuser

Nikonuser

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: wales, GB

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:04 AM

Please don't suggest nexremote for windows 10 I am about to throw it out of the WINDOW

Attached Thumbnails

• ff.jpg

#3 gfstallin

gfstallin

Viking 1

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:24 AM

Congratulations on your retirement! 

I see you have an Evolution, which has built-in wifi and you have StarSense. If by "remotely," you mean wireless, then you do not need a PC. A smartphone (Apple iOS or Android) with the free Celestron SkyPortal app or with the more feature-rich program Sky Safari (https://skysafariastronomy.com/) will allow you to align your mount without a hand controller. 

If you want to use a PC to control the mount via a wired connection, you will need Celestron ASCOM drivers. You can find them here: 

Celestron Unified (6.0.6338, June 2017)

http://www.ascom-sta...copeDrivers.htm

This should allow you to select your wired hand controller to your favorite planetarium program such as the free Stellarium or (not free) Starry Night Pro. You will need to align the mount with the StarSense before you connect it to your PC and have your PC control your mount via your planetarium program. I've only done a wired connection between my PC and my Celestron AVX mount without StarSense, but I'm pretty sure the Celestron Unified Driver will work for the StarSense handcontroller as well. 

George

#4 InfiniteHorizon

InfiniteHorizon

Lift Off

• Loc: Stuart, FL

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:37 AM

Nice retirement present!

Why not try to use a tablet to control the built-in WiFi already on your Evolution. Many free and minimal cost applications available for a tablet computer (like and Apple iPad) or even smart-phone (iPhone). For a free app, you could try the Celestron SkyPortal App. I like and use the more capable SkySafari Pro to control my Evolution with my iPad and iPhone. It's $20 but there are also other free and lower cost apps available to try. These apps are also a great way to get acquainted with the night sky.

If you do not already have one, older model new and used tablets are available cheap. I can't speak for Android tablets,as I'm not familiar with them, but they also run apps that should be able to control your built-in WiFi on the Evolution mount. Another nice thing about using a tablet is they have night viewing (red imaging) mode that does not ruin your night vision, or that of others nearby. 

Hoping you have clear skies, Tom

• gfstallin likes this

#5 gfstallin

gfstallin

Viking 1

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:55 AM

Please don't suggest nexremote for windows 10 I am about to throw it out of the WINDOW

NexRemote is a controller itself and becomes the brains of the mount. This negates any benefit from having StarSense do your alignment for you. If you are attempting to use StarSense auto alignment with a PC, then you do not need NexRemote.

However, if you want full control of your mount from your PC, including the ability to do manual alignments then there is an easy fix for installing NexRemote for Windows 10 that will allow you to keep your computer indoors. Go to your downloads folder in Windows 10 and physically move the NexRemoteInstall program to your desktop (hold left mouse button, drag the program to your desktop). 

Install NexRemote

Run the installation program in compatibility mode for Windows 7. This will allow you to install NexRemote. Only use NexRemote if you plan on doing star alignments via your PC. Otherwise, don't bother with NexRemote. 

George

#6 Bean614

Bean614

Ranger 4

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

Since I have several Evolution Scopes/Mounts, I found all the info I needed, to Wirelessly connect to an Android or iOS Tablet or phone, in the Owner's Manual. Did your scope come with an owner's manual? Or, do you absolutely HAVE to connect to a PC/Mac?

#7 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

Posted 07 January 2018 - 03:53 PM

1. NexRemote does not support any of the Evolution features, so while it's possible to use (the correct version properly set up) with your telescope, you probably wouldn't want to do it.

2. First step is to power up scope and PC with the two connected (by the appropriate USB cable) and check Control Panel for the com port assigned to the scope.

3. Enter that into the com port set up in the particular astronomy program you choose to use. Next, align the telescope with the hand controller. You may then enable the scope - PC connection in your astronomy software.

4. To help you further, it would be necessary to know which program you intend to use on the PC.

Edited by rmollise, 07 January 2018 - 03:54 PM.

#8 roelb

roelb

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium, Antwerp

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

1. install "ASCOM Platform": http://ascom-standar...loads/Index.htm

2. install "Celestron Unified Driver": http://www.ascom-sta...copeDrivers.htm

3. connect "HC-mini USB" with USB-port on your remote computer

4. go to Windows "Device Manager" and under "PORTS (COM & LPT)" you will find: "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM#)"

# is the COM(munication) port number

5. Into your Planetarium program go to the settings for your telescope: you will find a Celestron scope

6. choose setup => "Celestron Setup" and choose the correct COM port # in the "COM Port" drop-down menu

Now you are able to remote control your mount from within your planetarium program.

The scope settings will be remembered, so it is just a "one-time setup" (when you use always the same computer USB port)

Remark 1: you must do the mount alignment before establishing the remote connection.

Remark 2: the described connection is using the USB (so not wireless; see other comments above for wireless connection).

when using USB cables, the total length is limited to about 2.5 m.

for longer distances, use a so-called "active USB extension cable" (distances up to 15 ... 30 m are possible)

Wireless communication distances (using tablet, phone) up to about 10 ... 15 m are possible.

• gfstallin likes this

#9 atps1234

atps1234

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 01:27 PM

I have a new CPC 925 EdgeHD that has the same USB port on the HC.  I plan to use iOS/SkyPortal to control and align the scope, but I also want to be able to run Celestron Firmware Manager to be able to check/update my scope and motor code.  This does not seem to be supported via wireless/Skyportal so I am thinking that to run CFM I will need to connect to a PC.  True?  Will I need any drivers for CFM to be able to find the scope?

Thanks,

OB

Edited by atps1234, Yesterday, 01:28 PM.

#10 roelb

roelb

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium, Antwerp

Posted Yesterday, 02:40 PM

For firmware update a USB connection to your PC is recommended.

You don't need to install any drivers to us CFM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics