•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stellarvue Access 80mm Super ED or Sky-watcher Pro ED 80mm

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 magsterone

magsterone

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mobile, AL

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

I am about to pull the trigger on either the Stellarvue Access 80mm Super ED $699 or the Sky-watcher Pro ED 80mm $649.  It will be for astrophotography use only.  I will be using a dslr.  These are both doublets and both have FPL-53 glass.  The difference I see is the SV is f7 and has a 2.5" focuser and the SW is f7.5 and has a 2" focuser.  The SW comes with a diagonal and fiberscope also. I know it comes with ex's but I already have those but you can never have too many of those. ;)

Cost wise if add a finder scope to the SV (as I already have a TV 2" diagonal ) the costs are about $100 more for the SV.

Am I wrong to assume that my current TV diagonal will fit the SV?  

This will be my first entry into imaging.  I will be doing it with my wife who is a pro photographer so she understands the technical aspects of the camera, but she also understands that land/portrait photos are not deep sky.  We plan to do planetary and so's.  I will use backyard  eos.  A very experienced friend of mine suggested the SW as it comes with the accessories and both scopes are Chinese made.

For me there is a lot of favorable reviews for both, especially the SV's.  It seems people either love them or hate them.  I know there will some trade-offs imaging with a doublet vs triplet but it seems like a good place to start.  Look forward to your opinions and any other suggestions.

Joe in Mobile

• Cpk133 likes this

#2 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:00 PM

Owners of the SW models often feel the need to replace the stock focuser.  I am visual only and I replaced the focuser on my SW120ED with a better performing GSO model.  There are instructions on the web for adjusting the SW focuser, but I was unable to improve mine by any adjustments and ended up replacing it.  Your TV diagonal should work fine with either scope.  My vote would be for the SV.      

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

It's a fairly small difference, but it favors the SV.  A bit faster, a bit better focuser.  SV, in my opinion, has excellent customer service, sometimes the owner, Vic, picks up the phone.

The F7.5 is a lovely lens that I used for starting out in AP, but the SV should at least match it, they learn how to do this better over time.  I just can't see any reason for going with the SW.

You'll want their matched reducer/flattener.

http://www.stellarvu...ess-80-sffr80a/

SV makes a very big deal about their customer service, that's been known to rub people the wrong way.  Not sure how many SV owners are dissatisfied with the scopes.

I own an SV70T and an SV100Q, like them both.

Edited by bobzeq25, 07 January 2018 - 12:14 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#4 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:07 PM

You would need to replace the SW focuser for photography.  The SV focuser has a very good reputation.  

#5 leveye

leveye

Aurora

• ***--
  • Loc: Metro Detroit Mi.

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:21 PM

Go with the Stellarvue. Way better focuser.

• bmurphy495 likes this

#6 Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity

Vostok 1

• Loc: NE Pennsylvania

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:42 PM

I would spend the extra $200 and get the SV70T. For imaging a triplet is a better choice. In addition it is a little faster at f/6. I own an SV70T, and SVR102T, and an SVA130T and my favorite is the 70! With the dedicated reducer/flattener I am imaging at a FL of 336mm at f/4.8. Image capture time is reduced significantly.

The 2.5" SV focuser is a joy. Unless I have an extreme temp swing throughout the night, I set the focus at the beginning of the of my imaging run and never touch it again that night!

#7 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Gemini

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:58 PM

I would get the Setllarvue.  You will be happier. Better focuser and optical quality. 

#8 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:55 PM

The ES 80mm F6 is only $30 more than the SV and is a Triplet with a Diagonal included.

If you don't need the Diagonal, B & H offers it for $699 with a 1.25" Diagonal (I'd personally go the extra $30 for the 2")

It will be heavier than the other two but something to consider.

#9 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:19 PM

The Stellarvue! I currently have the A102mm and am very pleased. It is my third Stellarvue scope and I have always been a happy camper! And true, I have called before,and had Mr. Maris pick up the phone directly. Each telescope is tested before it goes out.

• Lewis Cason and leveye like this

#10 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

I'll add my voice to say the Stellarvue focuser is better sized for photography. If that's what you want to do, it's a no-brainer when deciding between the two.

• Terra Nova likes this

#11 magsterone

magsterone

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mobile, AL

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:35 PM

I ended up getting a used stellarvue 80a for $600 incl a diagonal, case and two eyepieces.  I ordered the flattener for it and  now the adventure begins.  My wife and I are looking forward to it.  I downloaded backyard eos and it connected right up to my 7d, so I hope that is a good indicator.  I have considered building an altar in the backyard for sacrifices but my wife said our home owners assoc says that is a no-no.  ;)

Joe in Mobile

• dpick likes this

#12 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

I have the Vixen version of this scope, the Vixen ED 80sf. Came with a single speed crayford. I replaced it with a GSO 2 speed. It’s a very nice lense!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics