•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Alt Az Goto Scopes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 uncledick

uncledick

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:01 AM

I have a question re the Celestron series of Alt Az goto scopes, the ones with Schmitt Cass OTAs and single arm, not fork arms. Are the OTAs attached to the mount with a dovetail type arrangement, and can the OTA be dismounted easily and replaced with another type of OTA ? If this is feasible, do any of you know what the payload of the largest one would be, the one with the 8 inch OTA, I think. 

Rich. 

#2 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Mariner 2

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:37 AM

Yes, the 6/8SE mount can be used with other scopes, and uses a dovetail. I use mine with an 80mm Master Birder and also with an ES AR102 refractor. It handles these with very little battery drain, - less than with the 8"SCT. Less vibration issues also. But the 102 will not go to close to zenith, as it hits the mount if pushed to far, - so CARE must be taken, - but there is still a Lot of sky within it's safe reach. Mine is just the regular mount, - I hear the Evolution models are much better, but more $ also. I've read the weight limits on other posts, but don't have them memorized. Anything equal to or less than an 8" OTA would work I believe.

#3 uncledick

uncledick

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:04 AM

Many thanks for replying. This helps me. I"d thought about the zenith issue, and I think for my purpose I'll be ok. 

Best to you in 2018.

#4 WALee

WALee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: McKinney, TX

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

Hi uncledick, if your budge allows I would suggest you get the Celestron Evolution mount. It has built in WiFi and an internal battery (no need for an external power supply). It is very stable and the tracking is just awesome. Here are a couple of pictures of mine with a 5" Newtonian and my 8" SCT mounted on it.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Tony

Edited by WALee, 08 January 2018 - 11:49 AM.

• NMBob likes this

#5 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:53 AM

I'm a huge fan of them. I have had several from the Nexstar 8i to the current SE mount. I like the user interface and the ability to switch OTAs. The SE handles my TV 4" Genesis SDF with no trouble. I kind of giggle when people talk about observing at the zenith. How often does that actually happen? You can wait 30 minutes for it to cross and all is good.

#6 jallbery

jallbery

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southeast Michigan

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:50 PM

I have a question re the Celestron series of Alt Az goto scopes, the ones with Schmitt Cass OTAs and single arm, not fork arms. Are the OTAs attached to the mount with a dovetail type arrangement, and can the OTA be dismounted easily and replaced with another type of OTA ? If this is feasible, do any of you know what the payload of the largest one would be, the one with the 8 inch OTA, I think. 

Rich. 

The 4/5SE mount is rated at 10 pounds.

The 5/8SE mount is rated at 12 pounds.

(Per https://www.celestro...load-capacities )

I think the Evolution is rated at 25 pounds, but it isn't listed on Celestron's capacity page.   Celestron sells it with the 20-pound C9.25,  though.

I highly recommend the Evo over the 6/8SE, even if you aren't into the wifi bells and whistles.   It is definitely more stable.   However all three of the above mounts will benefit from be mated to a sturdier tripod (for the Evo 9.25, Celestron puts the Evo mount on the beefier CPC tripod).  I've mounted my 4/5SE mount on the tripod and wedge for my Classic 8, and the improvement in dampening times was dramatic.   

As far as clearance is concerned, I mount my 8" SCT on my evo so that there is sufficient clearance for a 2" SCT diagonal.  On that point, if you do want to observe at the zenith and lack the necessary clearance, using a wedge moves the problem area to the celestial pole.   

• NMBob likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics