•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explaining why Win 10 security update KB4056892 breaks ASCOM drivers

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#51 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

Maybe ASCOM needs a new version that leaves out TheSky6 support.

They mentioned they considered it but they still get requests. If this was mac they just would have discontinued support and forced the upgrade:-). On of the biggest challenges MS has is supporting old hardware and programs.
  • Michael Covington and Steve Cox like this

#52 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

Maybe ASCOM needs a new version that leaves out TheSky6 support.

They mentioned they considered it but they still get requests. If this was mac they just would have discontinued support and forced the upgrade:-). On of the biggest challenges MS has is supporting old hardware and programs.

Precisely.  Are you acquainted with the application compatibility team at Microsoft?  Their job is to make Windows continue to support buggy software that happened to work under some earlier version of Windows even though it should not have.

That is not the situation with ASCOM.  In ASCOM's case the bug really is in Microsoft's update -- Microsoft admits DCOM authentication is broken.  ASCOM can work around it, though, and will do so if Microsoft tarries a long time.

• psandelle likes this

#53 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

I had no problem with El Capitan, found it quite good myself.  Sierra and especially High Sierra though, were the death knell for my former Mac.  Couldn't even reinstall it, and many things didn't work right with it.  That and the insanely numerous iOS updates within just a couple months after release drove me back to Windows - which is proving much more stable.  Nor could I get Linux to do everything I want and need as well as Windows, not to my satisfaction.

Seems to me if a security update messes with ASCOM, the fault would lie with ASCOM, not MS.

My iMac is the late 2009 model, running on High Sierra, and has never had any issues.  This includes the latest security update I installed very early this morning, which is analogous to the recent Win 10 / MS fiasco.

My apologies for steering off course. My intent wasn't to start a discussion of what does and doesn't work with a specific OS not related to this thread, but rather to remind those who endlessly blame Microsoft for all life's ailments that all other OS's are guilty too.

Edited by Steve Cox, 11 January 2018 - 04:46 PM.

#54 maxmir

maxmir

Messenger

• ***--

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:47 PM

I don't understand how to fix this with directions given on ASCOM's site. Not clear to  me what to do, change to Call etc?

Most issues went away when I changed all my Ascom programs to run as " Administrator" under Right click : properties> security tab.

Let me know what you think of this.

Max Mirot

Edited by maxmir, 15 January 2018 - 01:48 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics