•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6.5 Hours on M33

astrophotography beginner dslr refractor
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Kissimmee, Florida

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:13 PM

Finally finished this one after adding more data. Let me know what you guys think!

45x 7mins 1600iso & 10x 8mins 1600iso

Linear File for download..

https://www.dropbox....-Stack.TIF?dl=0

get.jpg?insecure

Mobile: http://astrob.in/328894/0/

• Starman27, mikewayne3, EricTheCat and 7 others like this

#2 droe

droe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

Really nice set of data, I did not do it justice. There are some really good processors out there that can make this data shine. Thanks again for sharing.

Attached Thumbnails

• M33-Stack2.jpg

• moxican, geethq, nickcodybarrett and 4 others like this

#3 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

Really nice set of data, I did not do it justice. There are some really good processors out there that can make this data shine. Thanks again for sharing.

Depending on the target I usually boost one of the color channels a bit (Rosette - red Orion - blue etc). Seeing your pic next to mine shows how much off from the natural color I over cooked.. Beautiful thanks for sharing! I might just have to re-edit minus the extra blues.

#4 fmeschia

fmeschia

Ranger 4

• Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:54 PM

Here's my attempt at processing your data with Pixinsight. Good data, by the way! Your scope deserves a flattener!

M33_Stack_clone.jpg

• Starman27, moxican, artem2 and 4 others like this

#5 droe

droe

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:41 PM

I am still new and color is tough. I am more trying to learn star reduction now, its a fine balance. Color is something I will try to get better at in the future. What's important to me is not that it is actuate but that I like it. It will but hanging on my wall.

I think you are doing very well at your processing. I try to make mine look as good as yours; sometime I can, sometimes I cant. Your data is far better then mine. Keep up the good work:)

• SuperJustin likes this

#6 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

I am still new and color is tough. I am more trying to learn star reduction now, its a fine balance. Color is something I will try to get better at in the future. What's important to me is not that it is actuate but that I like it. It will but hanging on my wall.

I think you are doing very well at your processing. I try to make mine look as good as yours; sometime I can, sometimes I cant. Your data is far better then mine. Keep up the good work:)

Thanks! I wish I knew what I was doing though lol. I know a big help in the end for my pics is sliding the mids in levels to about 0.85. It makes my pics a lot darker then most but hides a lot of imperfections with color saturation and gradients. I also spend hours on pics so it's still a struggle for sure! In the end if we like it that's all that matters though!

#7 Bretw01

Bretw01

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: IL USA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:39 AM

Nice capture, I had a try at processing your stacked data...

M33_Stack_DBE_LRGBw.jpg

...thanks for sharing and keep up the good work!

Edited by Bretw01, 13 January 2018 - 12:40 AM.

• Darrenlh, Rudy Pohl, SuperJustin and 1 other like this

#8 DMach

DMach

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

Here's my ham-fisted attempt ... couldn't quite get the colour to pop, I need to read up more on that.

Thanks for sharing the data - love that people do that here, great for getting practice with processing. (Not to mention providing some entertainment in this miserable weather ... has been raining for 2 days straight!)

M33-Stack-Processed-1600px.jpg

• ghostboo, SuperJustin and nyairman like this

#9 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:43 AM

Here's my ham-fisted attempt ... couldn't quite get the colour to pop, I need to read up more on that.

Thanks for sharing the data - love that people do that here, great for getting practice with processing. (Not to mention providing some entertainment in this miserable weather ... has been raining for 2 days straight!)

attachicon.gifM33-Stack-Processed-1600px.jpg

this looks great! If your using PS just try duplicating the layer setting it to color.. then Filter - Blur - Gaussian Blur - 2.0 pixel.. then Image - Hue/Sat - +20-50.. I normally do two iterations at different points! You might already know this your image looks great but maybe helpful to others too!

#10 DMach

DMach

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:43 AM

this looks great! If your using PS just try duplicating the layer setting it to color.. then Filter - Blur - Gaussian Blur - 2.0 pixel.. then Image - Hue/Sat - +20-50.. I normally do two iterations at different points! You might already know this your image looks great but maybe helpful to others too!

Thanks for the tip! Still very much in the learning phase, gleaning whatever information I can from forums, books and the WWW.

Gave it a go, but M33 itself ended up looking overcooked. I like the way droe was able to boost the colour of the surrounding stars whilst keeping M33 fairly "natural" ... some strategic masking might be in order! Will have another play.  :)

• SuperJustin likes this

#11 Gvs

Gvs

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:40 AM

Great photo.  Congrats.

Wish I could post the full resolution processed image.

This is a screen grab of what I did.  Stretched in DSS and processed in GIMP 2.9.6.

Attached Thumbnails

• M33-Stack-GimpScreenGrab.jpg

Edited by Gvs, 14 January 2018 - 11:43 AM.

• SuperJustin and nyairman like this

#12 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the tip! Still very much in the learning phase, gleaning whatever information I can from forums, books and the WWW.

Gave it a go, but M33 itself ended up looking overcooked. I like the way droe was able to boost the colour of the surrounding stars whilst keeping M33 fairly "natural" ... some strategic masking might be in order! Will have another play.  smile.gif

Well you are doing great! Normally you will always have to boost the color sat after stacking in DSS! Also for the stacked file, I processed in backround RGB calibration vs per channel which makes it easier to process but loses some more color. There is a few cheap astro tool sets for PS.. One you can use to create an auto star mask and boost saturation to +60 or so and really make them look awesome! 

http://www.prodigita...ll_Version.html

http://www.eprisephoto.com/astro-actions

This HTML based book was really a huge help for me too little more $$$ but I needed more help then you starting out haha

http://www.astropix....gaip/index.html

droe's pics look great! He has to do some color sat how do you do it droe?

Edited by SuperJustin, 14 January 2018 - 12:39 PM.

#13 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

Great photo.  Congrats.

Wish I could post the full resolution processed image.

This is a screen grab of what I did.  Stretched in DSS and processed in GIMP 2.9.6.

Thanks and thank you for sharing!

#14 droe

droe

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:25 PM

Gave it a go, but M33 itself ended up looking overcooked. I like the way droe was able to boost the colour of the surrounding stars whilst keeping M33 fairly "natural" ... some strategic masking might be in order! Will have another play.  smile.gif

Well you are doing great! Normally you will always have to boost the color sat after stacking in DSS! Also for the stacked file, I processed in backround RGB calibration vs per channel which makes it easier to process but loses some more color. There is a few cheap astro tool sets for PS.. One you can use to create an auto star mask and boost saturation to +60 or so and really make them look awesome! 

http://www.prodigita...ll_Version.html

http://www.eprisephoto.com/astro-actions

This HTML based book was really a huge help for me too little more $$$ but I needed more help then you starting out haha

http://www.astropix....gaip/index.html

droe's pics look great! He has to do some color sat how do you do it droe?

Thanks, I would love to tell you want I do but it comes down to personnel choice at this point. I just try not to over do it; make small changes. I also work on the color at the end of processing instead of at the beginning. When I get better I will try to get the colors more actual but for now I just try to get them to something I like.

Also the Camera Raw Filter in PS has a lot of options for adjusting the different colors.

Some of the greats image processer around here have great success with Star Tools.

Good luck 

• SuperJustin likes this

#15 Spata

Spata

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma City

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:33 AM

Thanks for sharing! This should be a fun one to play with/

• SuperJustin likes this

#16 Spata

Spata

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma City

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

looks like I need more practiceImage1.jpg

#17 Ron Luxemburg

Ron Luxemburg

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:27 PM

Quickly processed in ACR then some more tweaks in Photoshop CC 2018. Thanks for sharing. Fun to work on these files.

Attached Thumbnails

• M33-Stack_web.jpg

#18 dvalid

dvalid

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:57 AM

Very nice data. Processed in PI

M33-Stack2.jpg

#19 silvertree88

silvertree88

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:06 PM

Here is my go at your data with just Photoshop, you have a lot a great detail! Excellent captures.

Attached Thumbnails

• m33.jpg

• Spata and SuperJustin like this

#20 Gvs

Gvs

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

Here is the high resolution version using just DSS and Gimp 2.9.6

gallery_199774_5050_3299405.jpg

• SuperJustin likes this

#21 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

Here is the high resolution version using just DSS and Gimp 2.9.6

gallery_199774_5050_3299405.jpg

Here is my go at your data with just Photoshop, you have a lot a great detail! Excellent captures.

Very nice data. Processed in PI

attachicon.gifM33-Stack2.jpg

Quickly processed in ACR then some more tweaks in Photoshop CC 2018. Thanks for sharing. Fun to work on these files.

looks like I need more practiceattachicon.gifImage1.jpg

Awesome pics guys thanks for sharing! Hopefully will have some more data by the weekend on a new target!

• dvalid likes this

#22 G. Hatfield

G. Hatfield

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:51 PM

I agree pretty good data.  Here is my shot at it using PI and PSCC.  Steps used in name of image.

George

Attached Thumbnails

• M33_Stack_DBE pmcc arcsinh et2 tgvdmask htbal bplev crnrmask stcol bp.jpg

• SuperJustin likes this

#23 SuperJustin

SuperJustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

I agree pretty good data.  Here is my shot at it using PI and PSCC.  Steps used in name of image.

George

beautiful!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, dslr, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics