•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Better than college

beginner
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 gunny1998

gunny1998

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

this site has taught me so much over the last two months...i feel like i have a degree in astronomy already ......i went to not even knowing what eyepieces and filters to use....too i can actually give people good advice on this site......ED you are great you know who you are !!! you taught me so much about my XT8I scope that i feel pretty good about it ...thanks for all the great knowledge people....i truly appreciate it....

• zjc26138, atpladypilot, Ed D and 16 others like this

#2 amzking

amzking

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Space Coast, Florida

Posted 11 January 2018 - 03:50 PM

Here here!  I cannot believe all that I have learned on this site, and I am actually starting to leave the safety of the "kiddie pool" beginners forum and venture into the more specialized forums, LOL.  You all have been fantastic and I am sure I would not have nearly the enjoyment out of my scope were it not for all you fine people, giving great advice with great patience putting up with the same types of questions over and over.  Thank you all! bow.gif 

• Ed D, SeaBee1, aeajr and 3 others like this

#3 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

Here here!  I cannot believe all that I have learned on this site, and I am actually starting to leave the safety of the "kiddie pool" beginners forum and venture into the more specialized forums...

All part of our diabolical plan!

• noisejammer, aeajr, North of Sixty and 2 others like this

#4 Zuban e.

Zuban e.

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: E. Tenn

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:34 PM

I agree wholeheartddly.  I gave up observing a dozen years ago due to problems for which I had no answers that led to observing becoming more frustration than fun.  Thanks to Cloudy Nights forum (and the plethora of associated links) I now have a much better grasp of the hobby, and enjoy much greater sucess.

Thanks to all involved.

• aeajr and amzking like this

#5 penguinx64

penguinx64

Soyuz

• Loc: Manama, Bahrain

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

Yeah, but college has more young babes.

• seawolfe, iwannabswiss, aeajr and 3 others like this

#6 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Apollo

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:12 AM

Oooooh, stole my thunder!

STARKID2U

• gunny1998 likes this

#7 Mike W.

Mike W.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:55 AM

Morning all, thanks to those that I have helped that helped me learn. waytogo.gif

Helping each other up the ladder, seems like a good idea to me! smile.gif

• aeajr and gunny1998 like this

#8 droe

droe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fenton, Mi

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

The cool thing about all this is that it is not a hobby or an interest but a lifetime passion. I hear so many say they left for 10 years but now they're back. I know a lot of people that look at my images and say "wow, that is really cool" but that's it for them. Here you can communicate with people that have the same passion as you. One's who appreciate it when I say "hey, I split the Lyrae double double last night". No one else I know would care. So, a big thanks from me too to everyone here.

• aeajr, Augustus and gunny1998 like this

#9 Aleko

Aleko

Viking 1

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:13 PM

CN may be better than college, but it can be more expensive than college too! smile.gif

I've  learned a lot here, but I've spent a ton of money on equipment since joining. I've found out about so many fun toys!

Alex

• aeajr likes this

#10 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:38 PM

CN may be better than college, but it can be more expensive than college too! smile.gif

I've learned a lot here, but I've spent a ton of money on equipment since joining. I've found out about so many fun toys!

Alex

You'd have to have expensive taste in equipment indeed to make CN more expensive than college is these days.
  • aeajr likes this

#11 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:52 PM

Hey guys, we hooked another one.   Now, let's help him spend all his money!  

:D

• Ken Sturrock, amzking and gunny1998 like this

#12 Feidb

Feidb

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:12 PM

To me, what we do and college aren't even in the same world. College astronomy is a glorified math class, whereas what we do is actually look up and appreciate the heavens, the gear and all that goes with it, without the burden of the math, or necessarily caring why.

One can appreciate both, but doesn't necessarily have to.

• JMKarian and aeajr like this

#13 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:53 PM

Retirement beats college....it beats working too.

• aeajr and JonnyBravo like this

#14 amzking

amzking

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:02 AM

laugh.gif

In all fairness, you guys did warn me in my VERY FIRST TOPIC that you highly enjoyed spending other people's money!

Actually reading over that very first topic, it is astounding everything I did not know.  I didn't even realize that alternative eyepieces were a thing.  Now the original EPs that came with my scope are relegated to the "scope stuff" bin in the closet, LOL.

• aeajr likes this

#15 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:31 AM

laugh.gif

In all fairness, you guys did warn me in my VERY FIRST TOPIC that you highly enjoyed spending other people's money!

Actually reading over that very first topic, it is astounding everything I did not know.  I didn't even realize that alternative eyepieces were a thing.  Now the original EPs that came with my scope are relegated to the "scope stuff" bin in the closet, LOL.

If those are Plossl eyepieces, don't forget them.   Pull them out from time to time to remind yourself how good Plossls are.   They may not be as wide view as you ES 82 but they still put up a pretty nice view.  Great for loaning to a friend to help them get started.

I have a friend with a new scope.  Told him to hold off buying eyepieces.  His scope came with a 25 mm wide view.   I loaned him 18, 12.5, 9.6, 8, and 6 mm Plossls to get him started.    I should get them back in 2-3 months as he sorts out what he wants to do.

And when you get that short tube refractor as a wide view grab and go scope, Plossls are wide enough for those.   A 26 mm Plossl in my 400 mm refractor puts up 15X and 3.4 degree FOV.  Beautiful!

• paul m schofield, amzking and gunny1998 like this

#16 amzking

amzking

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

laugh.gif

If those are Plossl eyepieces, don't forget them.   Pull them out from time to time to remind yourself how good Plossls are.   They may not be as wide view as you ES 82 but they still put up a pretty nice view.  Great for loaning to a friend to help them get started.

I have a friend with a new scope.  Told him to hold off buying eyepieces.  His scope came with a 25 mm wide view.   I loaned him 18, 12.5, 9.6, 8, and 6 mm Plossls to get him started.    I should get them back in 2-3 months as he sorts out what he wants to do.

And when you get that short tube refractor as a wide view grab and go scope, Plossls are wide enough for those.   A 26 mm Plossl in my 400 mm refractor puts up 15X and 3.4 degree FOV.  Beautiful!

Actually, I take that back, I made a spot for the 40mm plossl in my EP case, I had forgotten it was there, LOL.

They will definitely be saved for outreaches, loaning, other scopes, and the like.  Certainly I am not throwing anything away, and will probably not sell anything until I am WELL into this hobby enough that I can know what I can sell without regrets.

And don't be tempting me about that short tube refractor!!!

• aeajr likes this

#17 Mike W.

Mike W.

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:23 AM

Morning gang, I can't even imagine being in school and having the internet resource we enjoy now.

When I started out the only resource I had was Astronomy magazine and the old guy at the camera store that sold me  the huge Tasco 4.5in. Newt. on the wooden tripod with an EQ mount, I was so thrilled with it, it has a clock drive that will allow the scope to actually track an object, slow motion knobs to adjust with, and two eye pieces.

Then I purchased a TV plossl, it had a nice wide view compared to my other eyepieces and 3mm more of eye relief.

A month went by and I had saved enough to by the big TeleVue  8 to 24 zoom in his display case.

Wow! What a view and it zooms too!

Still have the scope and the zoom, think I might still have the original 10mm that came with the scope.

Every once in a while I move the OTA (optical tube assembly) from one spot to another and know what?

When I purchased my Hotech laser I checked it collimation and it was so close I decided not to touch a thing, 25yrs. 

I remember purchasing the battery powered electric motor driven focuser accessory, no such thing as a stepper motor so to get fine focus I had to just hit the button and try to hit it just right so when the motor coasted to a stop the target was in sharp focus, still have that too!.   

Don't know where I was going with this except that my spare scope stuff bin I call my bed room! lol.gif

• amzking and gunny1998 like this

#18 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:59 AM

laugh.gif

Actually, I take that back, I made a spot for the 40mm plossl in my EP case, I had forgotten it was there, LOL.

They will definitely be saved for outreaches, loaning, other scopes, and the like.  Certainly I am not throwing anything away, and will probably not sell anything until I am WELL into this hobby enough that I can know what I can sell without regrets.

Oh, they are great.    

You see I started with binoculars so I was used to those wide filed views.   So my first scope was a 400 mm F5 80 mm refractor.   With a 32 mm Plossl I get 12X and 4 degree FOV.   Glorious and rock steady compared to my binoculars.

Sure it shows some CA, but I just filter that out in my brain.

You have the binos.

You have the light bucket

Now you NEED that grab and go short to medium FL 80 to 100 mm refractor.  Then your life will be complete.  ( Ha Ha Ha!)

Edited by aeajr, 13 January 2018 - 10:03 AM.

#19 Mike W.

Mike W.

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

Morning gang, my recommendation for a grab 'n go is a dob, great big light bucket with high mag 100° eyepieces,

the moon at 225X and better than 1.7° fov.

but that's just me,,,,,,,smirk.gif

#20 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:45 AM

Morning gang, my recommendation for a grab 'n go is a dob, great big light bucket with high mag 100° eyepieces,

the moon at 225X and better than 1.7° fov.

but that's just me,,,,,,,smirk.gif

Grab 'n go in 2 hours when it finishes cooling down, eh?

#21 amzking

amzking

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:10 PM

laugh.gif

Oh, they are great.    

You see I started with binoculars so I was used to those wide filed views.   So my first scope was a 400 mm F5 80 mm refractor.   With a 32 mm Plossl I get 12X and 4 degree FOV.   Glorious and rock steady compared to my binoculars.

Sure it shows some CA, but I just filter that out in my brain.

You have the binos.

You have the light bucket

Now you NEED that grab and go short to medium FL 80 to 100 mm refractor.  Then your life will be complete.  ( Ha Ha Ha!)

NEED, huh?  I seem to recall a conversation with you a couple of weeks ago, talking about how you don't use the word "need."

You're evil, Ed.  Evil. lol.gif 

• aeajr and gunny1998 like this

#22 gunny1998

gunny1998

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

laugh.gif

i already bought filters and expanded my ep collections ill spend more on filters im sure in the future lol.....you are the first one who responded to me when i joined this site so its all your fault lol 

• aeajr likes this

#23 aeajr

aeajr

Voyager 1

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:40 PM

Alice, 

I didn't say I need.  I said YOU need.  flowerred.gif

Gunny,

Glad I could help.   That money was just getting moldy anyway.  lol.gif

#24 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Connecticut

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:41 PM

Need??

It can be somewhat of an addition       I read  I learn   I buy   I learn   all good...

Ed's suggestions in severa; forums talked me into the Baader zoom       sage advice   I love it 

Thanks  Ed

Just got a 2 inch TV 27 panoptic      going to try it out maybe  tonight with the old TV Oracle   I hope     

I have to take a break from EP purchasing  to save up for a 4inch flourite refractor    admittedly   I have not learned the art of selling some stuff to aquire other stuff..........I used to be able to do that with old guitars   Maybe the Oracle has to go?

• aeajr and Zuban e. like this

#25 Tyson M

Tyson M

Vanguard

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:33 AM

That 27mm Panoptic is an incredible eyepiece. Dont give it up for wider field designs in the future. It's light weight makes it a keeper for smaller scopes. Great in larger scopes too. 

Enjoy the views!

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics