•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommendations for newer USB 3.0 Planetary Cam

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 crgood2

crgood2

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:41 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm sure there's several topics on this, but I'd like some opinions on a good planetary/lunar cam.  I'm a Deepsky guy and don't have much experience in this arena.  Here's what it will be used for:

-Planetary/lunar for public outreach purposes

-Prefer OSC since several staff members are not astroimagers, easier processing the better

-Used on either a 16", 20" or 24" RCOS, with available 2x, 3x and 5x barlows

-Location supports sub - arcsecond seeing regularly

-If it could double for EAA, that'd be great too, we're considering offering new programs around that

-Budget around $500, less is better (non profit outreach, aka, coming from my pocket likely wink.gif )

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance!

Casey

#2 leveye

leveye

Aurora

• ***--
  • Loc: Central Oregon Coast

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:47 PM

ASI178MC would work great. Love mine.

• crgood2 likes this

#3 brian1052

brian1052

Vostok 1

• Loc: Mississippi

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:11 PM

I love my qhy5-lll 290c. I had the asi224mc before it and it was very good also. The only issue with the 290 is because of the higher resolution the video files can get big quick.

• crgood2 likes this

#4 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:43 PM

Kind of depends on the focal ratios you can get out of the various combinations.

If I was able to get to around f/12 or f/13, I'd be snapping up something based on the 183C sensor - either the QHY or the ASI. The ASI appears to be more in line with your price range - ZWO ASI183MC.

Why this sensor?  Back-illuminated, 2.4-micron pixels. Massive pixel count (if interested, for lunar work). USB3. Works with both SharpCap and FireCapture.

#5 crgood2

crgood2

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

Thanks guys.  I'm actually thinking of picking up the ASI183MM personally, so for lunar that would be great.  I guess it'd just be a planetary cam, and given that I could theoretically take the focal length to ~20k mm, the larger pixels of the 178 would be a good choice?

#6 brian1052

brian1052

Vostok 1

• Loc: Mississippi

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

ZWO has a chart where they rate all of their cameras by purpose. https://astronomy-im...cts-comparison/

• kbev and crgood2 like this

#7 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:37 PM

If you want to do lunar work and you have a scope that can support a reasonably large field then you probably want to favor the largest (area) sensor that you can afford. This would be something based upon either Sony's IMX178 or IMX183 (from QHY or ZWO). However, if you are mainly interested in planetary work then just about any recent generation CMOS camera should be fine. You also do NOT need cooling, so for the IMX183 that means only ZWO.

Having said that, if you plan on doing mainly public outreach then you may not need any more pixels than what are supported at a 1:1 ratio on you computer's display (unless you want to zoom and pan around the image). In this case, perhaps the IMX290 sensor at 1936 x 1096 pixels would be fine.

• crgood2 likes this

#8 crgood2

crgood2

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the discussion all, I'm leaning towards the 290 based sensors.  Appreciate the help!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics