•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What Telescope Are You Going To Use On Mars Come June/July/August?

observing
  • Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#76 rehling

rehling

Ranger 4

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:35 PM

I'll be using a Celestron 9.25" SCT on an AVX mount. That was a new purchase in October, upgrading over my NexStar 6SE, so I've been using Uranus as practice, as it's the only planet in the sky these evenings. From San Francisco, my latitude situation is going to be better than many of us, but far from great.

This morning, I had the first non-horrible use of it on Mars, to get the following picture. I could clearly see Utopia Planitia as a dark curve slicing across the upper left, and, to my excessive excitement, a hint of the white cloud over Olympus Mons on the eastern limb. I forgot until I saw this that Mars is gibbous rather than full when you observe this far before/after opposition. Seeing was rapidly worsening, and I had to squeeze this in between the quadruple threats of low altitude, clouds, bad seeing, and sunrise.

SSI Mars 20180127.png

I also captured some detail on Ganymede this morning, though my Jupiter picture was fair at best.

At closest approach, Mars will be about 4.5x closer than it was this morning, which is exactly half a year before CA, so we've got one year(!) with Mars at this distance or closer.

Edited by rehling, 27 January 2018 - 04:36 PM.

• Ben L and GoFish like this

#77 Aperture Mask

Aperture Mask

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

I'll be using a Celestron 9.25" SCT on an AVX mount. That was a new purchase in October, upgrading over my NexStar 6SE, so I've been using Uranus as practice, as it's the only planet in the sky these evenings. From San Francisco, my latitude situation is going to be better than many of us, but far from great.

This morning, I had the first non-horrible use of it on Mars, to get the following picture. I could clearly see Utopia Planitia as a dark curve slicing across the upper left, and, to my excessive excitement, a hint of the white cloud over Olympus Mons on the eastern limb. I forgot until I saw this that Mars is gibbous rather than full when you observe this far before/after opposition. Seeing was rapidly worsening, and I had to squeeze this in between the quadruple threats of low altitude, clouds, bad seeing, and sunrise.

attachicon.gif SSI Mars 20180127.png

I also captured some detail on Ganymede this morning, though my Jupiter picture was fair at best.

At closest approach, Mars will be about 4.5x closer than it was this morning, which is exactly half a year before CA, so we've got one year(!) with Mars at this distance or closer.

Thanks for the post.

#78 RichA

RichA

Viking 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:09 PM

Mars will be very close come June/July/August. I will be using a 120mm f/8.3 achromatic refractor, with a 90mm aperture mask. What telescope will you be using for this rare proximity of Mars? 

A Questar 7.  Should be pretty decent views in summer owing to better seeing than winter.  On average.

#79 RichA

RichA

Viking 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

Good News / Bad News

The bad news  - Mars - June/July/August, not going to happen for us folks up here in the Land of the Midnight Sun  bawling.gif bawling.gif    

The good news - looking forward to all the awesome CN reports and photos from everyone living further south that will be hitting Mars hard this summer!

Much better in 2020 for northerners.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics