•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Light Pollution drones?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 George N

George N

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:51 AM

Link to a BBC article about new "light show" drones: http://www.bbc.com/n...vegas-night-sky

#2 jimr2

jimr2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sparks, NV

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:28 AM

Well, there's already so much light pollution in Sin City that adding however much these drones--and yeah, I've seen their light show using them on the Vegas news this week--all the rage there at CES--can't really degrade the skies there than what's already happened in vegas (but do hope that this doesn't spread out to the rest of the world to where we can expect our neighbors to get a set of these drones and be putting on their own neighborhood light shows every night...). Guess that's when we'd all have to invest in killer drones....

• Tonk, Augustus and wrnchhead like this

#3 George N

George N

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

Well, there's already so much light pollution in Sin City that adding however much these drones--......--can't really degrade the skies there than what's already happened in vegas ......

I'm more worried about seeing them used for "fun displays" at National Parks on weekends..... or added to one of those private super-mega Christmas home displays.

Anyone for "lighted drone displays" over the Grand Canyon?

Edited by George N, 13 January 2018 - 11:23 AM.

• Littlegreenman likes this

#4 BrooksObs

BrooksObs

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:53 AM

The most critical factor governing such drone displays is that, at least for the moment, the level of sophistication and expanded control range needed means a high cost factor. Therefore, most computer controlled, multi-unit, displays will remain in the realm of the professional sector for now. Once their unit prices come down however, we will be in for real trouble. Can you just imagine the flurry of frantic UFO reports a simple fly-over above a residential neighborhood would create?!

BrooksObs

Edited by BrooksObs, 13 January 2018 - 11:54 AM.

• JohnMurphyRN and Augustus like this

#5 Homedad

Homedad

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Michigan

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:00 PM

People love to hate drones. 

• Augustus likes this

#6 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:03 PM

FAA Part 107 prevents flying drones over habitable areas or after dark if you don’t have a waiver. I fly RC and this shouldn’t be a problem at night  The problems start when someone is making money off it and obtains a waiver. It’s not the drones it’s what business can buy that’s the problem.

• Augustus likes this

#7 George N

George N

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

I don't hate drones!   I just hate flocks of them with choreographed strobe lights putting on a "light show" over places like the Western National Parks or Lake Placid in the Adirondacks to draw in "tourists"..... and adding to Light Pollution.

In New York, were I live, the State has added some 'big budget bucks' to dramatically increase "display lighting" on bridges because that will supposedly bring in more tourists. I can see the idea of a "drone light show" going over well with the State's Olympic Region Development Agency in Lake Placid..... right in the middle of one of the last large relatively dark areas in the East. Last year someone seriously floated the idea of installing huge "blue beacon lights" to mark out the "blue line" border of the Adirondack Park.at night! The idea died - but if a company like Intel offered to do "drone shows" for free to "support the Olympics" or "National Parks" - I can see it happening.

#8 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

Real nice. The last time I was in Las Vegas, we looked up at the sky while on top of a parking garage on the strip. All we could see was Jupiter. Now that they have light drones, you won't even be able to see Jupiter when on the strip. 

#9 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:36 AM

I don't hate drones!   I just hate flocks of them with choreographed strobe lights putting on a "light show" over places like the Western National Parks or Lake Placid in the Adirondacks to draw in "tourists"..... and adding to Light Pollution.

In New York, were I live, the State has added some 'big budget bucks' to dramatically increase "display lighting" on bridges because that will supposedly bring in more tourists. I can see the idea of a "drone light show" going over well with the State's Olympic Region Development Agency in Lake Placid..... right in the middle of one of the last large relatively dark areas in the East. Last year someone seriously floated the idea of installing huge "blue beacon lights" to mark out the "blue line" border of the Adirondack Park.at night! The idea died - but if a company like Intel offered to do "drone shows" for free to "support the Olympics" or "National Parks" - I can see it happening.

But that’s a problem caused by the politicians. If they say no the problem goes away Part 107 requires a waiver.

#10 treadmarks

treadmarks

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston MA

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

I don't think people go to Las Vegas for amateur astronomy... The most irksome part about LV light pollution is that it can be seen as far away as the Grand Canyon.

#11 North of Sixty

North of Sixty

Viking 1

• Loc: Yukon

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:27 PM

Just wait, soon they'll have multiple drones simulating the constellations. That would cross the line into a dystopian society for us stargazers.

(drones - I have a love/hate with them. All fine for science, some people have respectful fun with them, but twice now I've had them hover and watch - once me and a buddy fishing and drinking beers on a fairly isolated shore and once when I was up on a hill with a nice view far from any main road innocently smooching with my spouse. Expect more of that to happen in the great outdoors and I'm not happy about it. If there's no laws or ways to deal with peeping tom drone users soon, I'll be looking for anti-drone tech. Sorry just had to get that off my chest)

#12 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

I don't think people go to Las Vegas for amateur astronomy... The most irksome part about LV light pollution is that it can be seen as far away as the Grand Canyon.

That monstrosity of a pyramid with the light directed up from the top. Shows they couldn’t careless. Tacky buildings and dumb tourists = $.

#13 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:07 PM

Just wait, soon they'll have multiple drones simulating the constellations. That would cross the line into a dystopian society for us stargazers.

(drones - I have a love/hate with them. All fine for science, some people have respectful fun with them, but twice now I've had them hover and watch - once me and a buddy fishing and drinking beers on a fairly isolated shore and once when I was up on a hill with a nice view far from any main road innocently smooching with my spouse. Expect more of that to happen in the great outdoors and I'm not happy about it. If there's no laws or ways to deal with peeping tom drone users soon, I'll be looking for anti-drone tech. Sorry just had to get that off my chest)

Drones or 120 dB cell phone users. There is always some idiot out there. 

#14 George N

George N

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:36 PM

Just wait...... the drone light show may soon be AT the Grand Canyon!

#15 Homedad

Homedad

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Michigan

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

I guess I'm too easy going. Either there aren't any where I live or they don't bother me enough to pay attention.

#16 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:34 PM

I guess I'm too easy going. Either there aren't any where I live or they don't bother me enough to pay attention.

Most drone pilots use them for useful purposes. It’s the commercial stuff that get waivers that’s the problem the majority of folks are complaining about. The not so swift folks who do stupid things with drones are covered under existing laws.  

The FAA are there for you to complain too. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics