•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Victorian Amateur Astronomer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 herschelobjects

herschelobjects

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:13 PM

A new edition of “The Victorian Amateur Astronomer: Independent Astronomical Research in Britain 1820 - 1920” by Alan Chapman has recently been released by Gracewing (the original edition was published twenty years ago by Wiley). This is a superb book, detailing the contributions of both humble amateur astronomers and the well-to-do Grand amateur astronomers to astronomical knowledge in Great Britain in the 19th century. While most of us are familiar with the Grand Amateurs (for instance, John Herschel, Lord Rosse and William Lassell), much of the book is given over to the trials and tribulations of much more modest amateur astronomers, who toiled in obscurity, partly because of Britain’s well-entrenched class system. Many of the stories of these obscure observers are fascinating. If you think 24-inch reflectors in the hands of amateur astronomers is a recent “American” thing, this book will change your mind. Chapman’s book has been out-of-print for many years and consequently copies were hard to come by and very expensive. This is an opportunity to score a copy at a much more affordable price. Available through Amazon. I’ve attached a book review I did of the original edition which appeared in the Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada in 2001.

Attached File  VAA.pdf   276.88KB   103 downloads

• desertstars, George N, KidOrion and 7 others like this

#2 Crusty99

Crusty99

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

Thanks for the update.

#3 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the heads-up on this one. I ordered a copy.

• herschelobjects likes this

#4 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for this. I'll be picking one up as well.

#5 Markus Tang

Markus Tang

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Mülheim an der Ruhr,Germany

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for this.I searched this book on Amazon before and was fainted by how expensive a copy of the original edition is.

#6 Crusty99

Crusty99

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:05 PM

Received my copy today of The Victorian Amateur Astronomer (Allan Chapman, 1998, 2017). The 88 Plate Illustrations and the Notes and References are easily worth the price of $35. Books are not dead -- Not to this old scholar. 

winky.gif

#7 fred1871

fred1871

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:30 AM

It's a wonderful book for those who like good detail in their history reading, and there's a very varied cast of characters within those pages. Plenty too on the various kinds of astronomy done, and the differing patterns of activity in astronomy by the amateurs (often the leaders into new approaches in the 1800s) and the professionals.

Excellent that it's now available at an affordable price. The original edition was very overpriced, and produced in a small print run, which soon ran out with the result of the ridiculously high prices for used copies of the first edition when on rare occasions these appeared.

Thanks to herschelobjects for letting the rest of us know the book was available again. It's easy to miss noticing with so much being published, and this one not being from one of the better-known publishers.

• desertstars, herschelobjects, Knasal and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics