•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NOTHING BURGERS?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 badback

badback

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:27 PM

Nothing Burgers anyone?

Have ya' gone to check out a scope, and when you get there it wasn't exactly what
you were expecting? If looking on-line (eBay etc.) you must depend on a description,

a few photos, and perhaps a few questions. And if you buy that scope "sight unseen"

then the biggest disappointment usually comes from the damage during shipping.

Buying locally, on some occasions, can turn out to be far better than expected. Often

that involves great eyepieces or extra parts etc etc. A great example in my case was

Baby Blue: https://www.cloudyni...?hl= baby blue

I was just expecting a painted Palomar Jr. and WOW, what an unexpected little treasure

that turned out to be. Oh joy!! bounce.gif
After making arrangements to buy locally here are some situations you may find

yourself in after getting ready to take delivery of your expected optical treasure:

A: The seller already sold it. Likely to someone who offered more?.
B: The seller decided not to sell it. Huh? Was it sold to someone who offered more?
C: The seller now wants more than you agreed on.
D: The scope is not uh..."exactly" as described but more like a Nothing Burger.

Yeah, sure,  it's still a scope (and what's cooler than that) but certainly not what was

depicted, described or expected. I've dealt with all of these situations before and

wanted to share one recent experience with you.

Yesterday I picked up a Sears Discovery model 4-6344 that was advertised locally and
was described as in "MINT" condition. There were three pics with it in the ad and all three
of them had cloudynights printed on them. I thought perhaps a CN member was selling it
locally and also on cloudynights? Anyway, the pics used were "not" from the "actual"
scope for sell but were taken from a similar scope posted in the past on cloudynights.

Well...it was advertised for $185 so I contacted the seller and offered $120. He said yes.
I went to pick it up the next day and got all excited just looking at the great condition of the
wood box. Not perfect (mint?) but really nice. Far better than most boxes that I've received.
I opened up the box and everything inside was "SHINY, SHINY, SHINY." Oh JOY. There

were some typical tray and bracket paint scratches and one minor tube scratch. Not mint

overall, but pretty darn close. Rather as expected actually.

But...after taking inventory...I noticed.. a few of the parts... were missing. Mint huh? 4.gif
One of the felted finder scope protector rings was missing along with four of the .965 dink
eyepieces (and their eyepiece cases)and the top (and least important?) Styrofoam piece.
Not a deal killer... but still?  What it did have was in newish condition, and it appeared to

have hardly been used. It even had the manual and a star graph. So what the heck?

Then the HORROR set in.

It  was then that I noticed that Everything from the cell forward was missing. No cell,

no lens, no lens cap, no dew shield. The soul of the scope was gone. It made me sick.

vomit.gifI TELL YA'   vomit.gif

All that was left was

A Big Fat Giant  Disappointing NOTHING BURGER.

It was now more like a Dinky, No-meat Veggie, Remnant Burger. tounge.gif

My $40 offer for what was actually there was accepted.

Hey, Parts is Parts.

Sears 4 6344 a.jpg

• Jon Isaacs, tim53, sgorton99 and 8 others like this

#2 grif 678

grif 678

Viking 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:34 PM

Wow, someone who says a scope is mint, and then half the scope is missing, they should not be allowed to put anything else up for sale. I am glad that you did not have to pay the full price, hope you can make it up with parts.

• badback, Augustus and shredder1656 like this

#3 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:38 PM

I responded to an ad today that's probably a nothing burger, or worse - a scam.

We'll see.  I'm keeping my trap shut until I know.

#4 jimr2

jimr2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tonopah, NV

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:40 PM

Like what's her name on Wendy's commercials used to say..."Where's the meat??!!"

• badback, Augustus, jcruse64 and 1 other like this

#5 P_Myers

P_Myers

Vendor (OPT - Oceanside Photo and Telescope)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:48 PM

More like ..."where's the beef".

• badback, jcruse64 and shredder1656 like this

#6 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, NY

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:02 PM

That stinks.

• badback and shredder1656 like this

#7 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:23 PM

I recognize that ad image , I believe it's Steve Gorton's aka sgorton99 deck photo   . Sorry about your luck , but like you said "Parts is Parts " and for 40 bucks ya did good . waytogo.gif

#8 clamchip

clamchip

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

When that happens I drowned myself in food then everythings better again.

Now here's a burger. You will forget all about telescopes with this love in your tummy:

Robert

Spam 011.jpg

• deSitter, Masvingo, rcwolpert and 4 others like this

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

Crikey, I better start eating these Spamburgers Robert, you've convinced me they're a universal panacea! rofl2.gif

As to bb's OP, his "A,B,C&D" are just as common on the other side of the planet...as, unfortunately, is his experience with his latest purchase. frown.gif

• clamchip, badback, Masvingo and 1 other like this

#10 shredder1656

shredder1656

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

Bummer,but good recovery.  

Knowing my luck, I wouldn't have noticed the missing parts until I got home with 150 fewer dollars in my pocket.  "Boy, that lens is crystal clear".  

• badback, Masvingo and rcwolpert like this

#11 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

Bummer,but good recovery.  

Knowing my luck, I wouldn't have noticed the missing parts until I got home with 150 fewer dollars in my pocket.  "Boy, that lens is crystal clear".  

I better ease up on the laugh icons shredder, but tbh I don't think the rofl one is adequate here!

Part of me can really appreciate what you've just said!!!

#12 Mountaineer370

Mountaineer370

Ranger 4

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

I'm curious to know if you called the seller out on the obviously misleading photos that were posted in the ad and what their response or excuse for that was?  I guess the lesson for all of us there is to ask beforehand if the pictures posted are of the actual item for sale.

Still, all in all, I'm glad it wasn't a totally wasted trip for you.

#13 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:46 PM

I'm curious to know if you called the seller out on the obviously misleading photos that were posted in the ad and what their response or excuse for that was?  I guess the lesson for all of us there is to ask beforehand if the pictures posted are of the actual item for sale.

Interestingly I had a somewhat analogous experience with something completely different very recently: I didn't want to "call him out" but I very diplomatically said I was very disappointed that the goods were not representative of what he had told me & that really, deep down he knew that was the case...also that in our prior phone conversation I would not have driven so far to his place if I had known how much more work would be involved if I purchased the goods from him...

I'm not sure whether it changed him or his principals in any way whatsoever - but at least it gave me the moral high ground - & he took my (much) lower offer..! rofl2.gif

#14 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:58 PM

Can we summarize what happened?

-drl

#15 sgorton99

sgorton99

Skylab

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:03 PM

That sucks, and by the way that is my pic!

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• Sears 6344 004 - low res.jpg

Edited by sgorton99, 12 January 2018 - 10:06 PM.

• tim53, steve t, badback and 5 others like this

#16 leewardesigns

leewardesigns

Explorer 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Montesano

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:07 PM

Wow, thanks for posting this! I was about to go pick up a scope and I probably wouldn't have scrutinized it nearly as carefully as I should. I'll be using much more care and caution now. Not everyone in the outside world is as great as the wonderful folks here on CN.

#17 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:24 PM

kind of like internet dating. You never know from what year that picture islol.gif

• Astrojensen, Chuck Hards, badback and 4 others like this

#18 TOM KIEHL

TOM KIEHL

Aurora

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:35 AM

That sucks, and by the way that is my pic!

Steve

I thought so waytogo.gif

#19 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:09 AM

Now I know.  Ad was removed this evening.  I didn't get the chance to offer more than the asking price, either.  It was a Celestron Nexstar GPS 11" for $400, if the ad was to be believed.

• shredder1656 likes this

#20 badback

badback

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:52 AM

Nah! ranting.gif Actually I thought it was rather proper that he credited all three of the photos in his ad to their place of origin, which was cloudynights. The seller has a small nick-knack shop and bought two other late-model Meade telescopes at the same estate sale and he certainly wasn't/isn't scope savvy. I imagine he looked into the box and decided that it was a bit much for him to assemble, so he googled the make and model and took some pics which he credited. Rather professional I think as many people simply don't do that. waytogo.gif

My best guess as to the "missing heart" of this scope is that the estate sellers, that he purchased this from, couldn't remove the stuck dew-shield from the cell in order to store it all back into the wood box. And believe  me there have been many postings dealing with this rather common and "Sticky dew-shield problem." lol.gif

So they left it out, set it aside and it became misplaced. It was probably tossed later on after the estate sale.

Hmmm thinking1.gif Perhaps one of you dumpster divers out there has recently found a complete cell with optics and dew-shield that is much needed for this blind scopeHee, hee. Well... a mostly blind scope that is as the finder is really a jewel and optically terrific. ubetcha.gif

• Marc-Andre and shredder1656 like this

#21 badback

badback

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:02 AM

Wow, someone who says a scope is mint, and then half the scope is missing, they should not be allowed to put anything else up for sale. I am glad that you did not have to pay the full price, hope you can make it up with parts.

Well...I didn't actually have to buy a thing. I seriously doubt that the seller knew there were parts missing and upon inspection he deemed what he saw to be in "mint" condition. What is there really is in excellent condition. I offered him $40 and for me, I think that is a real bargain. He was glad I that still wanted it and told me that he had paid $40 for that and two other scopes. So he made out also. Sweeeeeet deal all around.

• Jon Isaacs and shredder1656 like this

#22 badback

badback

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:12 AM

That stinks.

Nothing Burgers often stink.

I guess those stinkers should be called Worse than Nothing Burgers.

As it turned out I ended up with a First Class Burger that unfortunately

had a great big giant bite out of it. No prob as I still have an appetite for more.

• Jon Isaacs, Masvingo, jcruse64 and 1 other like this

#23 badback

badback

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:18 AM

Scam Burgers are not to be confused with

Actionhac's World Famous Spam Burgers .

• tim53, clamchip, Masvingo and 3 others like this

#24 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:24 AM

That stinks.

Nothing Burgers often stink.

I guess those stinkers should be called Worse than Nothing Burgers.

As it turned out I ended up with a First Class Burger that unfortunately

had a great big giant bite out of it. No prob as I still have an appetite for more.

Marvin:

I saw that scope on CL.. Thought about it momentarily.  It's like a Burger without the patty. 

Jon

#25 badback

badback

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:26 AM

Crikey, I better start eating these Spamburgers Robert, you've convinced me they're a universal panacea! rofl2.gif

As to bb's OP, his "A,B,C&D" are just as common on the other side of the planet...as, unfortunately, is his experience with his latest purchase. frown.gif

Spam Burgers are not to be confused with

the Tim53 Notorious Scam Burgers.

And..tread carefully as your life will never be

the same should you dare cross over into the

realm of Spam Tacos.

• TOM KIEHL and shredder1656 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics