•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2045, should I get it?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:06 PM

You sold your ETX and it would have been a better scope. 

The fork was dead, but I still have the OTA. The corrector has fungus and I've cleaned it with alcohol, lens cleaner, etc. to no prevail.

get a little polishing compound. cleans fungus like a dream.

I would think that be murder on the glass.

I was about to say the same thing. Changing the figure of the corrector doesn't seem like a good idea.

#27 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:11 PM

The fork was dead, but I still have the OTA. The corrector has fungus and I've cleaned it with alcohol, lens cleaner, etc. to no prevail.

Nope,  just like other compounds for polishing glass.  Some have used tooth paste and some even have used cleanser. 

#28 SteveGR

SteveGR

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:59 PM

Nope, just like other compounds for polishing glass. Some have used tooth paste and some even have used cleanser.
Eh, an errant spot of toothpaste I thought was dust left a nasty set of scratches on a month old set of prescription eyeglasses, I was not happy.
  • Augustus likes this

#29 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:13 PM

Nope, just like other compounds for polishing glass. Some have used tooth paste and some even have used cleanser.
Eh, an errant spot of toothpaste I thought was dust left a nasty set of scratches on a month old set of prescription eyeglasses, I was not happy.

you cant use the whitener toothpaste.  Very abrassive. That is why it whitens your teeth.  Look at the following site and it will tell how abbrasive certain toothpaste is.  

https://chamberlaind...ng-toothpastes/

Edited by starman876, 14 January 2018 - 10:15 PM.

#30 wfj

wfj

Apollo

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:10 PM

If it truly is a fungus, hydrogen peroxide should cause it to go into a high metabolic rate and then apoptosis.

Shouldn't affect the glass, and  would only affect the coatings if extremely concentrated.

Haven't tried this myself, so be careful.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics