•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Discussed before, but just a thought on auctions and ads...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Gemini

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:53 PM

"One of the big motivators to pursue this hobby was to have an educational hobby that the whole family could enjoy together."

Good, but...

"We don't need more than one scope to enjoy it."

As you become a more accomplished astronomer, you will learn that different scopes are better suited to seeing different objects under different conditions. That drives acquiring at least a small collection, even if one is not a "collector" per se. Thus, all these people chasing ads and auctions.

Think about the flip side of this issue. Recently, a Unitron was advertised nearish to me, but I was clueless as to what would have been a fair price. Terra bounced a figure back to my thread almost before it finished posting. There is far more help here than competition, and lots of laughs and congratulations when one member discovers another won a purchase. And, at times, an odd solace: Thanks to Terra, I knew the Unitron was out of my price range, so I said good-bye peacefully to a scope I would have loved to buy, and have not had to torment myself wondering about what might have been.
  • Paul Hyndman, Chuck Hards, terraclarke and 2 others like this

#27 levidog2

levidog2

Viking 1

• Loc: Blaine, Washington

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:20 PM

That's a great way to look at it Joe. I do know, that more often than not, the members here do want the best for others while still growing the hobby and encouraging newcomers at the same time we, as collector and enthusiast, want to fill our collections. It's a fine line but for me I really like helping grow the hobby and get new blood otherwise it, the hobby, will go the way of the Dinosaur. I have been burnt more than once by the "thread" in question but it hasn't stopped me from using it, I have only gotten more wiser- the old saying "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

Cheers and abundant blessings !

Frank

Edited by levidog2, 13 January 2018 - 03:21 PM.

#28 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:49 PM

When I was in the airlines, we had a saying at NWA: “It is what it is.” I think it applies here.

My older sis was in the airlines also. Worked for National back in the later 60's and early 70's.

Edited by CHASLX200, 13 January 2018 - 03:50 PM.

• terraclarke likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics