•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Batch conversion of Olympus RAW files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DMach

DMach

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:08 PM

So I'm reading all kinds of good things about Astro Pixel Processor (APP) and thought I'd give it a go - have the trial version installed.

My DSLR is an Olympus OMD, however, so it's not on the supported RAW file list and I can't imagine Mabula would see the Olympus as a priority. (I bought it for regular photography, due to its compact size, before I got into AP.)

No problem, I thought, I'll just convert my ORF files to TIFF, FITS or whatever.

Two problems I've run into:

1. Tried BatchFormatConversion in PixInsight, but then found that APP also doesn't support the Bayer pattern Olympus opted to use (RGBG).

2. Tried Image Processor in Photoshop, but this seems to down-sample to 8-bit and there seems to be no option to choose the bit depth of the output file.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a batch conversion tool?

#2 GlenM

GlenM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:20 AM

Looking forward to an answer on this question, very interesting. I was thinking of APP,but I also use Olympus.

Glen.

#3 darkstar3d

darkstar3d

Ranger 4

• Loc: North Metro Atlanta

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

Wow. Sold my Olympus long ago mainly because of lack of support in Astro programs.

The only work around I see will be painful, split the images into RGB using PixInsight. I say painful as I don’t know if that could be batched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Apollo

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:07 PM

Could you use the DNG convertor?

#5 Cajundaddy

Cajundaddy

Apollo

• Loc: Cucamonga CA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:37 PM

Olympus Viewer 3 allows you to convert from Raw to Tiff with good results.  This might be your best path of compatibility:

https://tomsphotowor...raw-converters/

So many proprietary files still that are not compatible with each other across different software platforms.

#6 DMach

DMach

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:50 AM

Wow. Sold my Olympus long ago mainly because of lack of support in Astro programs.

I feel you. Reluctant to get rid of my OMD though, as the size still makes it a great grad-and-go for regular photography. I use it much more than I ever did my previous DSLR. Will invest in a dedicated AP camera someday.

Could you use the DNG convertor?

Olympus Viewer 3 allows you to convert from Raw to Tiff with good results.  This might be your best path of compatibility:

https://tomsphotowor...raw-converters/

Thank you both! Lol I ever thought to look at whether Olympus Viewer had a batch convert function - will give that a go.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics