•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A little dilemma

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 2Barrel

2Barrel

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Haddon Twp. New Jersey

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

Hi all.

Tonight I went to setup my Cgem II mount using Stellarium for the first time. I bought what I thought was the appropriate cables.

When I went to hook up the RJ45 connector to the hand controller it is the wrong connector foreheadslap.gif. Watched a ton of videos on youtube and this is what everybody said I needed. Never even thought of checking.

Anyways its a nexstar + hand controller and it appears I need what I think is a mini usb connector to hook up cable to the hand control. So what do I need to get now ?

A RJ45 to mini USB ? Please help.

Mike K

#2 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Viking 1

• Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

HC can come in USB and RS232

if its a USB type then its USB 2 mini B type

https://www.mycablem...ctors_20_30.jpg

if the handset isn't a USB tpe and its serial then its def not an RJ45 - its a 6 pin RJ11 telephone type

can you take a pic of it??

Edited by ZL4PLM, 12 January 2018 - 09:20 PM.

#3 2Barrel

2Barrel

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:46 PM

Having trouble uploading pics from phone. File to big. 

It looks like a mini-B 5 pin on the hand control.

And here's the cable I'm trying to hook up to it.

https://www.skiesunl...-232-cable.html

Thank you for the help and pics were helpful.

#4 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Viking 1

• Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:35 AM

ohh well thats not going to work 

if its a USB port on the HC then you just need a USB cable (mini to plug)

you might well have one around if you have older USB kit around 

I have loads hanging round in boxes!

no probs!

#5 DaveJ

DaveJ

Vanguard

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

My advice? Run, don't walk, to your nearest telephone and call one of the major dealers: Astronomics, Woodland Hills, OPT, Pocono Mountain Optics (Boy! that dates ME, doesn't it!?!?) err, I meant to type High Point Scientific, and tell them what you have and what you're trying to do. They will be happy to sell you exactly what you need. If I'm not mistaken, the port on the bottom of the NexStar+ hand controller has an RJ22 connector - BUT THE PIN OUT HAS TO BE EXACTLY RIGHT to get you connected properly. It is most definitely NOT any type of USB connector unless the NexStar+ is significantly different from the NexStar hand controller I'm accustomed to.

#6 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:12 AM

Perhaps this, direct from Celestron:
https://www.celestro...ar-rs-232-cable
  • DaveJ likes this

#7 DaveJ

DaveJ

Vanguard

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:22 AM

Perhaps this, direct from Celestron:
https://www.celestro...ar-rs-232-cable

Yes, that's the cable you want. If your computer doesn't have a serial port (most do not, unless they're old) you'll also require a "USB to SERIAL" patch cable.
I HIGHLY recommend a Keyspan High-Speed USB to Serial Adapter, PC & Mac. I got one of these over ten (10) years ago and it has never failed to work perfectly regardless of application. There are cheaper ones that might work, but why take the chance?

#8 Jim4321

Jim4321

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:26 AM

Umm... the Nexstar+ hand controller _used_ to have an RS 232 port on the bottom for connecting to a computer via a serial post.  For about  year, maybe more, this has been changed to a mini-USB.  I'm not familiar enough with the various small USB ports to say exactly which.  The insert for the new  HC just says 'mini USB'.

So if yours is a new Nexstar+, you need to match the correct USB plug, _not_ an RS-232.

Jim H.

• 2Barrel likes this

#9 2Barrel

2Barrel

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for all the help folks. Really appreciate it.

Turns out all I needed to get the Nexstar + hand controller up and running with Stellarium was a USB mini- b 5 pin to usb cable.

I actually had one laying around. Hooked it up and I was off to the races. Simple as can be. Not a hiccup.

• DaveJ, Jim4321 and ZL4PLM like this

#10 Jim4321

Jim4321

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Asheville

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:37 AM

A tidbit that I just picked up from Mike Swanson's most excellent 'NexStar Resource Site'... The manufacturing change of NexStar+ hand controller from RS 232 to USB mini communications port took place around April 2016. 

See  http://www.nexstarsite.com/index.html    There are links on the page 'Firmware Versions' for updating the HC and motor control firmware.

Jim H.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics