•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Flame Nebula unexpected object

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 river157

river157

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lpngmont, CO

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:55 PM

Hi-

Took 56 2 minute images of the Flame Nebula last night and after processing, there was a unexpected oval green nebula like object in the upper right of the photo.  It shows up mainly in green, but can be seen barely in L,B & R.

Thought it may have been related to the flat frames, so I took a new set of flats this afternoon, (rotated and cleaned the light box), and it is still there. It comes out in the digital development step at the end of the processing.  Any ideas what it is?

The second image is not calibrated at all and shows the oval in the green channel.

I thought maybe it could be some reflection from Alnitak, but that is primarily in the blue range....

Any comments/Ideas would be appreciated!  (I'm clouded over tonight, so can't re-image today, will try tomorrow)

Thanks,

Mike

12" RCX400 f6.3 fl=1229 ~f5, SBIG ST8XME, AO8, CFW9,  14 images each in L,R,G&B (120 seconds each) , taken this morning between midnight and 3:30AM MST 1/12/18

Attached Thumbnails

• Flame_Nebuls-LRGB_DD_half.jpg
  • Group3-G.jpg

Edited by river157, 12 January 2018 - 08:57 PM.

#2 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nashville, IN

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:03 PM

Reflection. Alintak is a real pain. Also, you might want to post questions like this in the Beginning and Intermediate Imaging forum. https://www.cloudyni...ediate-imaging/

Edited by ImNewHere, 12 January 2018 - 09:04 PM.

#3 Feidb

Feidb

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:09 PM

Yup, it's an artifact, not real.

When I'm going for the Horsehead, I always go to the Flame first. If I can see it unfiltered, I know it's a good possibility I'll be able to catch the Horsehead. Sometimes I can even see the Horsehead unfiltered, but not often. If I can't see the Flame, then there's no way I can even bother with the Horsehead.

Thanks for posting.

• jim kuhns likes this

#4 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:18 AM

Reflectasaurus...Reflectzilla...take your pick..hard to tame..(cuff's, prod's & whip's ain't gonna help)...lol.gif

#5 james7ca

james7ca

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:49 AM

Draw a line between the "artifact" and the center of your image and then continue through to the other side of the frame and you will likely find the cause of the reflection (along that same line).

#6 river157

river157

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lpngmont, CO

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

Thanks, all!  Figured it wasn't real (wasn't moving, nothing there in other peoples photos.) Just thrown on the shape and color.

Thanks,

Mike

#7 mvas

mvas

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Ohio

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:30 AM

OK, now that we have identified that it is a reflection:
The real question is ...

How can he prevent this reflection from occurring?

Exactly what can he change in his imaging train to remove that reflection?  Anything?  Nothing?

Maybe, one or more surfaces do not have the proper Anti-Reflective Coating?

Maybe, wrong spacing between the LRGB Filters vs Imaging Sensor ?

Fix in Post Processing?

Edited by mvas, 13 January 2018 - 11:31 AM.

#8 HomerPepsi

HomerPepsi

Vostok 1

• Loc: Canada

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

Flocking with scopestuff's flock worked for me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics