•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for a C-11 clockdriver corrector AC/DC (orange box)

accessories equipment
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fluph

fluph

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Virginia 25071

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:29 PM

Hello good people, this is one accessory that is becoming rarer than hen’s teeth to find. I have a 1985 (BLACK) C-11. I found a picture that looks like the exact same AC/DC inverter with the slow/fast buttons external Hand control box. It is on page 10 of used_sct.pdf file Titled Uncle Rod’s Used CAT Buyer’s Guide 10th Edition (2013) Rod Mollise. It shows 4 old (orange) clock drive inverter's. The one I NEED is on the bottom left of the picture. Wish I can copy the PIC from the PDF file to display it here. But I can't save the picture. Anyway to make along story short I either lost mine over the years while moving into new homes or it was stolen buy my evil X.  hehe not funny. If anyone knows where I can find or buy another item like it or if there was another why to control my C-11 Clock drive please reply. I do still have one AC cable for my clock dive, also missing the other one that connects to the inverter corrector box. I'll try to attach a pic of a C-14 type AC/DC inverter box. It looks a lot like mine except the one I had only used the RA with only 2 buttons for slow/fast with a speed control knob, like the one on page 10 of the CAT Buyer's guide. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Clear skies, Les   C-11_drive_correcter1.jpg

Edited by fluph, 13 January 2018 - 01:00 AM.

#2 jallbery

jallbery

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southeast Michigan

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:00 AM

Doesn't your C11 drive (ignoring the controller) simply run on 120VAC at 60Hz to produce the sidereal rate?  I guess I always assumed they worked that way (like the AC-powered C8s, Super C8, Super C8+ and Classic 8).   If that's not the case, ignore the remainder of this reply.

If it runs on 120VAC@60Hz, a cheap modified sine wave inverter would allow you to power the drive from 12VDC.   If you want a hand control, you are going to either have to build your own drive controller, or find one on the used market (look for a VE (Vogel Enterprises) Digitrak unit that includes a hand-controller for guiding (some of these even have an ST4 guiding port).

#3 Geo.

Geo.

Aurora

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

I have a Digitrak but no hand control. I haven't dug into the circuit to see what the HBX was intended to do. 

I designed this H-bridge with MOSFETs to be driven by an Arduino this evening. I'll be building it in the morning and see if it makes smoke or pushes an old Ultima syncho drive. The I'll have figure out how to modify the code to handle the controller's switches and whether I have to worry about acceleration curves.

Arduino inverter.jpg

Most of the traditional inverter controllers were based on R-C frequency generators. The pot was used to vary the resistance and thus the capacitor's discharge rate. Meade used both the R-C frequency generator and a quartz crystal in the 1985 LX3 for the inverter controller they built into the mount. When running on the quartz clock it was accurate to 0.01 seconds. The $2 Arduino should improve that to 0.001 or better. R-C frequencies are accurate to plus or minus 5%.

This is the base wiring of the C14.

C14 Schema copy.jpg

It shows that the C14 had four motors two running on AC and two DC motors for corrections.

Edited by Geo., 13 January 2018 - 10:55 PM.

#4 jallbery

jallbery

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southeast Michigan

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:25 AM

There were a few different Digitrak drive controllers.   The one I used for years was a single axis model.   The hand controller was just a momentary center off double pull single throw switch that allowed you to either slow down or speed up the frequency of the generated AC so you could make RA corrections.  There was also a 2-channel model that that could drive a dec motor, too.   I think the later top-of-the-line model included an ST4-compatible port.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics