•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Are some EM-200 mounts not capable of goto?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 joelin

joelin

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saratoga, CA

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:39 AM

I'm thinking about using someone's EM-200 for a few days. He says it's not goto. That surprises me.

So what did people do? Did they have to move it around manually?

#2 Kunama

Kunama

Gemini

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:50 AM

The Temma versions can be used in GoTo the rest have very good tracking but both rely on good polar alignment.

Edited by Kunama, 13 January 2018 - 01:34 AM.

#3 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:14 AM

EM200B and EM200USD/II/III all have no GoTo.

So yeah you push them around using the setting circles.
  • waso29 likes this

#4 Howard Gao

Howard Gao

Messenger

• Loc: Shanghai, China

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

All temma 2 mounts are supported by goto via skysafari + skyfi. Temma pc mounts are supported by Tak THC. I don't think other Tak mounts can goto.

#5 waso29

waso29

Viking 1

• Loc: Chi-Town, USA, mother earth

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:11 PM

use good star charts from wil tirion and setting circles on mount.

call me ole fashion, half my mounts are non goto.

#6 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:08 AM

I believe even TemmaPC is compatible with the Temma protocol and so SkySafari can drive them, it would just be very slow.

All temma 2 mounts are supported by goto via skysafari + skyfi. Temma pc mounts are supported by Tak THC. I don't think other Tak mounts can goto.

#7 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:09 AM

when I first got my EM-11, I didn't have the SkyFi handy, so I used it non-GoTo with the setting circles. Good enough for government work! (I mean visual)

You can get within 1-2 degrees of most showcase objects with the setting circles (the Tak mounts don't have a vernier for the setting circles, the Super Polaris is actually superior in this regard) and if you take one 30-second shot with your DSLR (I assume you are imaging) you can then use the slow-motion controls to center the object pretty well.

use good star charts from wil tirion and setting circles on mount.

call me ole fashion, half my mounts are non goto.

#8 RobPollard

RobPollard

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bristol Uk

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

I'm thinking about using someone's EM-200 for a few days. He says it's not goto. That surprises me.

So what did people do? Did they have to move it around manually?

Back in the early 2000's I used to have to find all my objects by hand using star-hopping as my EM200 USD2 had no go to either. The old system also incorporated a manual filter wheel that had a position with a 45 degree mirror so that an eyepiece could be attached (similar to an OAG, but when in, the mirror took the whole light cone.) 

I'd use Sky Tools to star-hop with the finder scope - you would not believe how accurate Sky Tools' eye piece representations are - the best I have ever seen. Then once in the right place I would switch to using the eyepiece on the filter wheel. Some objects were easy, others were much harder, because you couldn't see them in the eyepiece! Instead I had to use Sky Tools to show me where to position the main eyepiece - then I would take a short exposure. It was all hit and miss as the CCD was quite small - a Starlight SXV-H9 if I remember correctly. Some objects took minutes, but some would take up to an hour!

One thing for sure - you really get to learn the night sky with that system.

The ye olde FS102!

telescopeoutside.jpg

Luckily my new system (just got back into astro imaging) has go to functionality courtesy of the SkyWatcher EQ-6 Pro R and The Sky-X! smile.gif

RobP

Edited by RobPollard, 14 January 2018 - 03:00 PM.

• Ken Sturrock likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics