•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ISS 1/13/2018

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Faribault, MN

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:00 AM

Greetings.  I got up early today to set up my 10" reflector to capture the ISS.  I thought I would share a few pics.  It was a nice bright pass (magnitude -3.6) and I was surprised when I first saw it that I saw another object not too far away.  I joked to myself "which do I point to?".  Checking the mission page it appears what I saw near the ISS was the SpaceX Dragon craft which had just departed from the ISS.  Nice accidental observation. smile.gif

These were taken with a 254mm f/4.7 Reflector on my atlas mount with a 2" 4x Barlow.  Exposures were 1/2000 sec at ISO 1600 using my Canon T4i.

ISS-2018-01-13-Img_9039SS.jpg

ISS-2018-01-13-Img_9086SS.jpg

Animation (aligned using PIPP and used an online .AVI go .GIF converter to make this)

ISS-2018-01-13.gif

It could be better but I tell you this was not easy.  I must be nuts, getting up at 4am to go out in -11 F air temperature to get everything set up. smile.gif

Clear skies,

Eric

Edited by EricTheCat, 13 January 2018 - 09:01 AM.

• Starman27, piaras, mikewayne3 and 13 others like this

#2 junomike

junomike

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:11 AM

I give ya an "A" for Attempt in those temps! bow.gif

• EricTheCat likes this

#3 nyairman

nyairman

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: upstate new york

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:51 AM

Nice job! You got some good detail out of the ISS. Not an easy task.

• EricTheCat likes this

#4 EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:34 AM

I give ya an "A" for Attempt in those temps! bow.gif

Thanks!  Needless to say I had on many layers.  3 hats and a hood, 3 scarfs, 4 shirts, big warm jacket, thick warm socks, boots, hand warmers.  Only thing that got cold was my toes and occasionally my hands because I had to use my fingers now and then.  Funny having to handle things like a hot potato to avoid cold burns then also how the cables just don't want to bend.

Nice job! You got some good detail out of the ISS. Not an easy task.

Thanks!  The whole time I was predicting a less than 50% chance success.  This was the highest focal length I have attempted the ISS with.  4775.2mm at f/18.8.  I was not confident about focus which I spent at least 30 minutes on.  Also I wondered how well I could get the telescope on target using my little red dot finder from the back of the scope .  I think it is time for a more proper telrad.

Edited by EricTheCat, 13 January 2018 - 10:35 AM.

• t_image likes this

#5 t_image

t_image

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

Great job! and with stills which I imagine is much more difficult than video with a few lucky frames!!!

I hope now you finally realize the ISS is real and the Earth is not flat:

https://www.cloudyni...-2#entry7482245

lol.gifrofl2.gifroflmao.gifohmy.gif JKJKJK

• EricTheCat likes this

#6 EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:25 PM

Great job! and with stills which I imagine is much more difficult than video with a few lucky frames!!!

I hope now you finally realize the ISS is real and the Earth is not flat:

https://www.cloudyni...-2#entry7482245

lol.gifrofl2.gifroflmao.gifohmy.gif JKJKJK

Thanks!  You're right.  At the focal length I was at it wouldn't have been a big deal to lose the resolution I would have if I went with video.  Maybe I'll try that next time.  I was impressed with the camera in continuous mode that I noticed no significant delay between frames the entire time.  I also considered using BackyardEOS in planetary (crop) mode but was afraid of losing frames by not getting it centered enough.  Any time trying a new focal length on something it can be a learning experience. 

Oh, right.  Now I must be a true globe Earth shill.  lol waytogo.gif   Isn't it great to be capable of understanding simple geometry?  I can't imagine how hard life could be if I did not but it might explain some of the driving behavior I see. lol

#7 EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2018 - 03:18 PM

Here is a redo of the animation using PIPP to stretch the image and create the .GIF file.

ISS-2018-01-13-P2.gif

• Starman27 and piaras like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics