•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who will take care of our scopes?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:32 AM

You know I am not in the best of health. How do we ensure that our scopes will not expire with us? The idea of my Tasco and Sears scopes, and my Monolux and my Daylite and my Meade and my Royce ending up in the garbage is unthinkable. I think we should nominate each other to handle our treasures.

-drl

• Astrojensen, steve t, terraclarke and 5 others like this

#2 opticsguy

opticsguy

Apollo

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:43 AM

Nothing matters after we pass.  Better to donate, sell or give away your items before passing.  You can provide history, stories, inspiration and more by taking care of things before the end plus this can make you even more happy in life.  Your gifts to others will be a much greater gift than to simply hope for something.......

I have passed along many scopes to young persons who have an interest in the skies and I simply hope that they can some day do the same.....

• deSitter, sgorton99, Astrojensen and 14 others like this

#3 dave brock

dave brock

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Hamilton, New Zealand

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:53 AM

drl.

I think you need a serious "sit-down" with your family. smile.gif 

Dave

• tim53, steve t, Kokatha man and 6 others like this

#4 havasman

havasman

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:06 AM

You won't care when you're dead. 

Give 'em away now if you want to know where they'll be when you're worm food.

• deSitter, Deven Matlick, Mikefp and 2 others like this

#5 Luna-tic

Luna-tic

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Foothills North Carolina

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:20 AM

I'm taking mine with me. I figure the skies will always be clear, the seeing perfect, no light pollution and I'll have the best spot in the Universe to set up in.

Unless........

Edited by Luna-tic, 14 January 2018 - 01:21 AM.

• deSitter, tim53, PaulEK and 9 others like this

#6 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Mariner 2

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:38 AM

I'm taking mine with me. I figure the skies will always be clear, the seeing perfect, no light pollution and I'll have the best spot in the Universe to set up in.

Unless........

"Unless", -    You'll be like "Timothy Leary", - Not Dead, - but "Outside, - Looking In". 

• tim53, ShaulaB and TOM KIEHL like this

#7 levidog2

levidog2

Viking 1

• Loc: Blaine, Washington

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:49 AM

My first thought was that I could stop by and pick them up and bring them home but then again I may die before you-hmm.gif 

Live long and prosper !

Frank

• Kokatha man likes this

#8 highfnum

highfnum

Soyuz

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:52 AM

One hell of a garage  sale

I talked to my kids

they will keep a few and sell the rest

or give away what doesn't sell

• Magnus Ahrling and levidog2 like this

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:24 AM

It is a real issue that I need to deal with.. I figure my younger friends will help the family but I also have specific people who I see as ending up with a particular scope. 

Jon

• terraclarke, happylimpet, levidog2 and 2 others like this

#10 otocycle

otocycle

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:25 AM

Maybe my family will use my AP130 f/8.35 and mount as a cool GoTo cremation urn.

• Joe Cepleur, OleCuss, happylimpet and 1 other like this

#11 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Mariner 2

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:17 AM

Maybe my family will use my AP130 f/8.35 and mount as a cool GoTo cremation urn.

My cousin flew to Phoenix from Boston this week, as she is buying a house in Apache Junction AZ.  She forgot she had put a wooden box in her 'carry-on' bag containing her pet dog "Misty"'s ashes. The crumbly powder looked suspicious to them so they  took her aside and tested it for  cocaine and/or whatever.  Ashes inside an OTA would be Very Suspicious. 

• Augustus likes this

#12 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:21 AM

My plan is to slowly sell or give away all my scopes but one - not yet decided which one. Then when I'm dead and gone, there will be just one scope for anyone to worry about. The same with my guitars.

• terraclarke, levidog2 and zohsix like this

#13 zohsix

zohsix

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:51 AM

I have the same problem with my fly fishing rods/reels.  I decided to fish the heck out of 'em, slowly selling them off as I get older and keep a few I tell folks "I'm taking to the grave".  My son and wife are aware of the valuable ones, but if I time it well, there won't be many left.  Same problem with my wine cellar...

Enjoy the heck out of what you have while you're here!

• philipdo, rcwolpert, Geo31 and 3 others like this

#14 williew

williew

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pennellville, NY

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:14 AM

Keep the manuals that came with the scopes handy. Along with simple star charts, etc. Just browsing thru them could spark some interest in using the equipment responsibly. 

• Joe Cepleur, levidog2, Mountaineer370 and 1 other like this

#15 Mike E.

Mike E.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:23 AM

If you are worried about where your possessions will end up, simply add an addendum to your will for such things.

• Mitrovarr and Mountaineer370 like this

#16 akman1955

akman1955

Soyuz

• Loc: Alaska

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:08 AM

take them all too a scope shop to be sold on consignment and kids get the money or donate money.

• levidog2 likes this

#17 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:28 AM

Just send them to me when ya think you will bite the bullet.

• Mike E., rcwolpert, Augustus and 1 other like this

#18 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: NOKY

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:30 AM

I plan on having it down to a reasonable number (that could be counted on one hand) with an appraisal and inventory sheet for each. Then family can divie it up and/or sell it.

• steve t, Ken Sturrock, rcwolpert and 4 others like this

#19 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Voyager 1

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

Yes, we'll be gone, so why worry about it?  Well, I don't think we'd be on this Forum if we didn't care.  So:

1.  Talk to your family.  I've stressed the $$$$ value of these as collectibles, and even attached a document to my will describing each (what makes it special).  I've laid a guilt-trip on the kids that they think about the grandkids, and what these could mean to them when they're grown & have a place of their own.

2.  Clear out your inventory.  (Yeah, I know:  Pot meets kettle.)  By the time I'm really past it, I won't have but a few Keepers.  All of the common / mass-produced stuff will be sold or given away.  Big stuff that no one except a die-hard collector would want will also go (referring mainly to the Tinsley with its crazy massive mount).  I actually give more thought to the Tinsley than the others, because it is a special case.  I enjoy using it, and it's not a bother for me to roll out.  The trick will be finding a younger person who's as nutty as I am...

3.  Accept that you did your best.  All you can do is make a serious good-faith effort to pass the torch to the next generation(s).  Whether they value or esteem what we do is not your fault.

As I've posted before, I predict that the smaller, lighter, prettier scopes will fare better 30 - 50 years from now than the others.  It's already hard to find buyers for Big Newts on GEMs, and the folks who grew up with them are still around (and a few still want them).  I don't worry about the Questar.  Or, the restored Mogey.  The Goto, which will be near 100 when our youngest grandchild is in his 30s, may make it -- as a family heirloom.  Beyond those, I'm not too optimistic.

• PaulEK, steve t, terraclarke and 9 others like this

#20 apfever

apfever

Skylab

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:50 AM

I'm working on it, a lot more out than in lately, a ways to go.

I do these scopes for a few specific reasons:

I enjoy the work.

I enjoy the finished work.

I have a passion for the preservation of the scopes.

The last item above has the least attention, thus this string entry. I simply told my brother (long ago) to get to this forum and find a few select people, explaining the situation. After some discussion with this forum, he should be able to get three or so to come over for a week or week plus. Fly them in if not local, let them get things lined up, let them have the deal of a lifetime for their help (candy store to the lucky helpers), and then 'let er rip'. (contacts NOT open for discussion)

Attention given to end users if possible, least attention given to flippers though they have there place in estate clean ups, some scopes already designated (if still here) such as the Criterion 10" Observatory bell pier LOADED that goes to XXXX best man at my wedding who has an observatory for it, etc.  I have some friends local here, family friends, that are vintage classic scope aficionados as well. All great people, sharp, discerning, and with the frame of mind to 'git er done'. 

I have thought about it for some time, and have discussed this family wise. At the moment it would still be way overwhelming for my family alone. I bowed out of the recent CENSUS string as there is No Way to list just the full set ups not to mention the ones that are practically complete....and the parts- zowwie. 

I think it is no more a situation than any chronic collection, coins, CARS (lol, love the opening for the word here mods wink.gif ), or sea shells that she sells.  I do what feels right about it, take input from those that might have to deal with it, and by doing what's reasonable I can leave them in peace whatever the scopes fate. Let Karma have them, I might have some say on that from over there.  Ohh, donations are to take place as well since I've given quite a few away locally, particularly to the Boy Scouts that I've participated with quite a bit in programs.

Edited by apfever, 14 January 2018 - 09:05 AM.

• steve t, terraclarke, TOM KIEHL and 5 others like this

#21 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:24 AM

Just send them to me when ya think you will bite the bullet.

Same here. I will be around for quite a long time.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#22 SteveGR

SteveGR

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

I plan on having it down to a reasonable number (that could be counted on one hand) with an appraisal and inventory sheet for each. Then family can divie it up and/or sell it.

Yep, documentation will be key for a lot of people, what it is and what it is worth laid out nicely will protect whoever you leave them to from being taken advantage of.
  • Augustus and Mountaineer370 like this

#23 highfnum

highfnum

Soyuz

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

Ah to bad I can't afford to build a pyramid 

then I could have all scopes come with me on my journey to orion

• Jon Isaacs, KDC and levidog2 like this

#24 Mountaineer370

Mountaineer370

Mariner 2

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:30 AM

I'm a big believer in wills, whether you are young or old, healthy or not.   You can attach something called a Gift List and other instructions to a will, which will tell the executor of your estate who you want to get what.  Make sure you have included contact information.

Planning ahead makes sense.  An inventory and documentation for each scope is important.  Decide if there are certain individuals or groups, clubs, etc. that you would like to donate your equipment to.  I would suggest checking with that individual or organization ahead of time to make sure they would/could make use of it.

Most importantly, talk to your family, your spouse, children, siblings, or family friend, whoever you are entrusting to handle your estate and possessions after you are gone.  Show them how to get on CN and place an ad, if necessary.

This is a sobering topic that most people don't like to think about or discuss, but the alternative could possibly be that your treasured telescopes get sold at a garage sale or on CL, probably for a fraction of what they are worth and possibly to someone who wants to make a lamp or a coat rack or an umbrella holder. shocked.gif

Just my penny.gif penny.gif

• steve t, Mike E., terraclarke and 3 others like this

#25 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:48 AM

No problem for me as to where the telscopes will go, they will stay with the Astronomy Centre when I'm gone. What concerns me is who will be left to operate and maintain them, the key persons are also in their twilight years with no obvious future capable enthusiasts.

• patrickt likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics