•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist, eBay, and other vintage, classic telescope ads

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
830 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:44 AM

This is a continuation of the previous thread. I'm locking the old thread but it will age off in a few days.
***********There are some new rules. Please read. ***************************************
1) The basic guideline for this thread is to list ads and auctions that others may be interested in. It is not intended to replace CL or eBay as a site to find all possible classic ads. Please keep your posts to actual "classic" equipment. If you have to ask if it's classic, it probably isn't.
2) Do not post your own ads or the ads of your friends, this includes items you may be trying sell for someone else. This is considered sale promotion in the open forums and is a violation of the CN TOS. Please post your own ads in the Swap & Shop forum or the Cloudy Nights Classifieds.
3) We request that you do not post photos from ads. If you must have some reference to a photo in the post, post a link to the photo, not the photo itself.
4) Do not post the entire ad text, or large blocks of it, without permission from the author.
5) Concentrate on the item for sale, and not the seller.
6) Although not mandatory, when posting ads, including a short description of the item is a courtesy to others who don't have time to click on every link. It also provides some data when the link is no longer active. Be a little specific.
Here's an example of a good post:
4" f/8 Jaegers OTA on eBay. LINK
Poor post:
4" telescope. LINK
7) Please post a live link to the item. Do not post "PM me for link". We realize that this is an honest attempt to prevent non-CN member flippers from finding the posts, but most of the hard-core flippers are CN members already. Flippers look for bargains, they won't be outbidding you at top-dollar because they won't make any money on the item. Most of the time you are outbid, it is by a fellow Classics CN member.
8) Please limit yourself to one "found" post per hour. If you find more items within that time, just edit your post and add them, or wait until you have finished looking at all the ad sites and post them all at once.
9) Short discussions can take place about the items listed. When quoting a post, edit the quoted post to include only the part you are replying to. Do not quote an entire string of replies. If not quoting, make a note of what your reply pertains to, so others won't misinterpret your reply. Please keep these discussions limited to the actual items posted. If the discussion becomes protracted or the noise level gets too high, these posts will be moved to a new thread. Further comments on the item should then be made in the new thread.
10) Ads that are odd or have humor may find a better home in the Favorite Used Telescope Ad thread.
Posts that do not follow these posting guidelines or are for items not appropriate for this thread may be removed at moderator discretion.
Buyer Beware- CN is not responsible for any of the ads or auctions posted here or their content. There are some scams floating around, so do your homework before pursuing any ad.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember, keep to the ads and the equipment in them, not the seller or others.
Remember the main TOS theme: Be Nice.
Posts that do not follow the guidelines may be deleted in their entirety. Don't keep quoting posts that you know do not follow the guidelines. Your entire post will be deleted, not just the quoted section.
No more posts complaining about parting out equipment or comments about this thread affecting prices. There are other threads for those issues.
ANY POSTS THAT ARE CONSIDERED AS HARASSMENT TO A MEMBER WILL BE REMOVED WITH NO NOTICE ALONG WITH THEIR QUOTES. CONTINUED HARASSMENT OF OTHER MEMBERS MAY RESULT IN UNWANTED VACATIONS. STICK TO THE ADS AND EQUIPMENT AND AVOID STRAYING OFF THE AD TOPICS.

#2 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 20 January 2018 - 12:53 AM

Read those rules.  Learn them.  Know them.  Love them.  Practice them.  

Thanks everyone!

#3 bartine

bartine

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Silver Spring, MD

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:04 PM

And - to kick it off - a Meade 6600 6" f5 reflector in Mechanicsburg PA for $150 - comes with 3 eyepieces - a couple of MAs and a 4mm ortho.

I had one of these years ago, and it was a lovely scope - very sharp optically, and the Mizar mount was really solid for that scope

https://harrisburg.c...6466515421.html

#4 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

Some of them blue tube Newts were pretty good in the mid 80's.

#5 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:31 PM

did Chas notice the C5 wedge for the small base for sale on CN?

#6 Kasmos

Kasmos

Viking 1

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:01 AM

Just so folks know, that wedge is actually a C90 Astro wedge but (as the ad shows), it works for the small base C5.

https://www.cloudynights.com/classifieds/item/126758-early-celestron-c5-and-wedge/

#7 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:07 AM

Looks like the same wedge as the white-tube C5 used.

#8 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• Administrators

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:18 AM

Beat-up Tasco 31T, in need of some love.  LINK

#9 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:09 AM

Unusual NS scope, called Polaris

https://www.ebay.com...is/173111262737

-drl

#10 shredder1656

shredder1656

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:12 AM

-drl

Parts of that scope and the mount remind me of my Unitron 114.  

#11 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:50 AM

I bought it.  Sending the seller the money honey.

#12 Geo31

Geo31

Cosmos

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:17 AM

Doesn't the white tube C5 have the large base?  It would certainly make sense for Celestron.  It reduces their inventory and part numbers.  I think the white tube base is shared with other models of the C8, just the same as the other die cast C5s.  Celestron didn't think that through very well (from a business perspective) when they built the small base C5.

#13 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:44 AM

Doesn't the white tube C5 have the large base?  It would certainly make sense for Celestron.  It reduces their inventory and part numbers.  I think the white tube base is shared with other models of the C8, just the same as the other die cast C5s.  Celestron didn't think that through very well (from a business perspective) when they built the small base C5.

The white tube in the early 90's was a total diff ball game and had a total diff kind of wedge.  Celestron stopped making the fork mounted C5 around late 1985. Then came out with that one arm bandit around the early 90's.  

Edited by CHASLX200, 21 January 2018 - 07:46 AM.

#14 Geo31

Geo31

Cosmos

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:06 AM

The white tube in the early 90's was a total diff ball game and had a total diff kind of wedge.  Celestron stopped making the fork mounted C5 around late 1985. Then came out with that one arm bandit around the early 90's.  

I'm not talking about the forks or the table top wedge.  I'm strictly talking about the base itself.  I've seen various bases and they all appear to me to be derived from versions of the C8 in production at the time.

#15 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:27 AM

Edmund pier

https://www.ebay.com...SE/282814023508

-drl

#16 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:47 AM

I'm not talking about the forks or the table top wedge.  I'm strictly talking about the base itself.  I've seen various bases and they all appear to me to be derived from versions of the C8 in production at the time.

I think the base is the same from the 1977 up until the mid 90's.  But i bought a newer what i think what they call a Classic C8 made in the later 90's with the newer forks. That was a cheap made system as the forks were nothing like the much stronger forks on the older C8. Them forks had the jitters big time.

#17 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:51 AM

Need legs for your Towa?

https://www.ebay.com...pIAAOSwnCFaLcSu

Meade 8" f/6 in Kentucky

https://www.ebay.com...SoAAOSwUH5aXwDO

#18 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:02 AM

Need legs for your Towa?

Meade 8" f/6 in Kentucky

Hefty price on the 8" Starfinder. I had one back in 1993.  Good mount and optics in mine.  I was not crazy about the cheap strap rings.

#19 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 21 January 2018 - 09:05 AM

Need legs for your Towa?

Meade 8" f/6 in Kentucky

Hefty price on the 8" Starfinder. I had one back in 1993.  Good mount and optics in mine.  I was not crazy about the cheap strap rings.

It's an 826, not a Starfinder.

#20 rfic1

rfic1

Viking 1

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

The 826 was Meade's product/answer to the RV-8 and the preceded the starfinder series which is the scope in question.

Now was the scope in question labeled a 826 Starfinder? That I am not aware of. 

#21 starman876

starman876

Hubble

• Loc: VA

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:13 AM

I bought it.  Sending the seller the money honey.

awesome.  waytogo.gif

#22 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

Need legs for your Towa?

Meade 8" f/6 in Kentucky

It's an 826, not a Starfinder.

Thats not the older 8" Meade from the late 70's and 80's.  

#23 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Voyager 1

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:21 AM

The 826 was Meade's product/answer to the RV-8 and the preceded the starfinder series which is the scope in question.

Now was the scope in question labeled a 826 Starfinder? That I am not aware of. 

Mine was just like that scope and called a Starfinder.  I don't know of any 826 with a cone shaped polar axis.

#24 Esso2112

Esso2112

Ranger 4

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

-drl

I wondered when someone was going to post that one.  It basically is a Unitron Model 127 (40 X 700mm).  According to the paperwork, it was imported by Polaris Optical, a Michigan company.  The phone number places it to early 60's or so.  The clamshell and mount are identical to the 127 on the Unitron History site, but with the black knobs instead of the silver ones. Somebody on here should get this one.   

#25 terraclarke

terraclarke

Hubble

• Loc: Toto I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:32 AM

-drl

I wondered when someone was going to post that one.  It basically is a Unitron Model 127 (40 X 700mm).  According to the paperwork, it was imported by Polaris Optical, a Michigan company.  The phone number places it to early 60's or so.  The clamshell and mount are identical to the 127 on the Unitron History site, but with the black knobs instead of the silver ones. Somebody on here should get this one.   

Yes, was also numbered the 740 and some were 40mm 750mm f.l. They listed for $75.00 in 1967.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics