•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Data, Data, Data... [FITS Provided, Lots of them!]

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#251 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:56 PM

Okay, the data has been uploaded to the CN Data Share

It is important to note that this much more advanced than previous data shares have been. I personally used APP with these masters, to complete the mosaic masters, then pulled those back into PI to move forward.

One more thing, when you have your 3 mosaic masters (HA, OIII, and SII) and go to register them in PI to one another, I was getting strange star artifacts when using "Auto" for Pixel Interpolation settings in the Star Alignment module. I was able to resolve that problem by using Bicubic B-Spline. 

Edit: As always, people are welcome to use the data -- but please credit me as the one that captured it. Especially with this data set. 

Edited by rockstarbill, 29 September 2019 - 11:14 PM.

#252 Bretw01

Bretw01

Messenger

• Loc: IL USA

Posted 02 October 2019 - 11:29 AM

My first attempt at a mosaic:

Yesterday I struggled with it. Gradients at the seams, I made improvements but was not able to eliminate them in the OIII files. The Ha I got something I could work with. Didn't even try the SII. Decided to go to bed and try again today.

Last night I saw an email while at work about PI 1.8.7 released with updates to star-alignment and mosaic gradients. Installed it this morning when I got home and saw an improvement right away.

After creating 3 mosaics and combining them, I have what I think is a decent image. No noise-reduction or color enhancements, just a quick processing to see what I got. The files are huge and will take some time to process correctly, but here is what I have so far. I plan on working on this when time allows, and will post the final image when complete.

SHO palette.

Awesome work Bill!

SHO_ABE.jpg

• rockstarbill likes this

#253 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:11 PM

Now try APP for the mosaic, and it is a cakewalk. No seam problems (with the right amount of MBB enabled, HA used 15%, OIII used 21%, and SII used 15%).

#254 Bretw01

Bretw01

Messenger

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:18 PM

Sorry Bill, but I do not have APP. I downloaded the trial a while back, and didn't like it enough to purchase. I have read that it is great for mosaics, but never having attempted one there was no need.

I played with the files some more today. Narrow band gathers some really great detail, but finding a color palette I like is difficult. I like a color that fits to the RGB scheme, and the NA and Pelican area has some deep reds when using OSC so I went for that. If I ever buy a mono camera I may well stay with LRGB filters.

For pixelmath I used:

R  OIII*.6+Ha*.2+SII*.2

G  SII

B  SII*.9+Ha*.1

Background neutralization.

I did some NR also, but very light-handed with it. Barely noticed a difference.
TGV, MMT and ACDNR.

Colorsaturation - 

Extracted luminance from the RGB file - deconvoluted and NR-again lightly. Also mildly applied localhistogramequalization.

Both the RGB and L stretched with HT.

LRGB combination

I think this shows much more detail than the SHO version, especially in NGC7000.

Natural_ABE_PIPS.jpg

#255 Bretw01

Bretw01

Messenger

Posted 04 October 2019 - 08:58 PM

Now try APP for the mosaic, and it is a cakewalk. No seam problems (with the right amount of MBB enabled, HA used 15%, OIII used 21%, and SII used 15%).

I gave APP a try, the Ha came out nicely on the first try.

Screen-Shot-Ha.jpg

Not so good with the other files. I tried with the same settings as Ha, then played with MBB but couldn't clean up where the cake was cut. Looks like a flat is being applied, but none were loaded. Tried with "same camera and optics" checked and unchecked.

Screen-Shot-OIII.jpg

Screen-Shot-SII.jpg

This program is still new to me so am still learning it, not sure what to try next.

Edited by Bretw01, 04 October 2019 - 09:01 PM.

#256 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:03 PM

Turn off LNC/Local Normalization. Those are masters and there is no need for it.

• Bretw01 likes this

#257 Bretw01

Bretw01

Messenger

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:13 AM

That did the trick.

Mosaics generated in APP, processed in PI. I went back to SHO color scheme, and added a luminance created from the SII and Ha frames.

I do like APP better for generating the mosaics.

View on astrobin.

get.jpg?insecure

Edited by Bretw01, 05 October 2019 - 02:15 AM.

• rockstarbill likes this

#258 Blender

Blender

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:58 PM

Trying out PI and hadn't seen many of M51 (compressed .jpg does not do this justice...):

Image07_clone_ABE2_clone1_ABE_clone1.jpg

• Bretw01 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics