•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Data, Data, Data... [FITS Provided, Lots of them!]

• Please log in to reply
257 replies to this topic

#26 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:18 PM

I think APP is a great tool. You can produce good enough data, with very little effort. However, I think the precision of PI and what you learn going through its massive learning curve makes you a better astrophotographer in the end. With that said, I hear that PI's mosaic capabilities are far too difficult on people, and that APP shines when it comes to mosaics. So at this point I own a permanent license for both, as I see value on both ends.

Where did i left my credit card, time for new order....... grin.gif

I think i have to have a collection of AP programs too then, anything that can do the job or easier to use or less learning curve is welcomed, after all it is an affordable price too, even PI Iic i bought while i am still a beginner, hehehe waytogo.gif

#27 PhysicsStudent

PhysicsStudent

Mariner 2

• Loc: Cleveland Ohio

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:16 PM

Here's my first attempt!

Attached Thumbnails

• Bills_Data.jpg

• Alain R, artem2 and TareqPhoto like this

#28 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:26 PM

Good first stab at this. A few things worthy of note:

- The Nebula is way too blown out. To press Dynamic Range effectively you dont only use Histogram pressure. Try some usage of HDRMultiscale Transform. 

- The overall contrast of the image is inconsistent. I find good application of Local Histogram Equalization can really help balance that out.  

- There are missing details in this image, try taking the HA channel (the dominant set of data) and applying it as a Lum channel via LRGB Combination. 

More I am sure, but these are the few things I was able to notice and offer up some support for. 

EDIT: First sticky post on any forum I have ever participated in! Way cool. grin.gif grin.gif grin.gif

Edited by rockstarbill, 23 January 2018 - 09:31 PM.

#29 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:21 PM

To my point it is deserved to be sticky because you shared data, this is a good nice help for me and not sure if many others too, i came here to learn and share, and you gave data that i can learn from and you did share it, what else could we ask about?

Hope some others can share too, i shared before but sounds my files aren't good enough yet, but i will share later whenever i have good enough, you should be proud of nice equipment and nice images and then sharing with us, keep up!!!

• rockstarbill likes this

#30 bmhjr

bmhjr

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:53 PM

Bill, thank you for providing this great data.  I am very new at processing narrowband since all I have is a DSLR.  This is giving me some good practice for someday smile.gif

I used Pixinsight to process the 3 channels and remove the stars.  I then combined them with SHO-AIP using the Ha as luminance.  I used photoshop to adjust the colors.  It didn't come out exactly as I wanted but hopefully I will get better with practice. 

Thanks,

Bill

Attached Thumbnails

• NA_rockstar_sm.jpg

• epdreher, artem2, Ivandn and 1 other like this

#31 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:03 PM

Nice job, Bill! Wonderful name as well. grin.gif

Love the blend here and really love how the dust contrasts the rest of the image. 

The stars all seem to be oddly colored. Were they violet before you did the blend? This is an image I have planned to come back to and get some RGB stars for. Doing this in SHO always results in funky stars. 

#32 bmhjr

bmhjr

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:06 PM

Thanks Bill. Yes the stars started out violet before I moved all the color sliders. I was going to make them white but I forgot. Maybe I will try again.

#33 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:31 PM

All good, still looks great man. waytogo.gif

#34 Koradox

Koradox

Vostok 1

• Loc: S. San Francisco, CA, USA

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:24 AM

Thanks for sharing your data!  I played around with this a bit this evening.  I look forward to practicing a bit more during the wet weather.  

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• pacmanplay.jpg

• epdreher, rockstarbill and artem2 like this

#35 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:08 AM

Super cool man, more in there though. smile.gif Looks great for an early narrowband process. Great job! waytogo.gif

I find it interesting that everyone wants the PacMan data... I guess I sort of influenced that by talking about the data quality. The coolest data of them all is the Pelican, by FAR. 

Edited by rockstarbill, 24 January 2018 - 01:19 AM.

#36 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Aurora

• -----

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:25 AM

Super cool man, more in there though. smile.gif Looks great for an early narrowband process. Great job! waytogo.gif

I find it interesting that everyone wants the PacMan data... I guess I sort of influenced that by talking about the data quality. The coolest data of them all is the Pelican, by FAR. 

All of them are nice and good to play with them all, but if i have to pick one of those you submitted then the Elephant trunk and Bubble nebulae are my favorite, then Pelican, but i am sure why members here picking up the PacMan more.

I hope to see a Galaxy data too, and some clusters too such as the Santauri and Pleiades.

#37 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:41 AM

All of them are nice and good to play with them all, but if i have to pick one of those you submitted then the Elephant trunk and Bubble nebulae are my favorite, then Pelican, but i am sure why members here picking up the PacMan more.

I hope to see a Galaxy data too, and some clusters too such as the Santauri and Pleiades.

Cool, get rid of my clouds. lol.gif

#38 Chris Ryan

Chris Ryan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:57 AM

Here's my rough attempt at the "PacMan Nebula Revisited" data:

attachicon.gifPacManNebula.jpg

Processed in PixInsight.  I didn't do much for this process at all - I used a SHO palette, tried to enhance the dark bits of the nebula and didn't stress over the stars or the general background dark level too much. 

I thought it might be worthwhile for those that are having a go at this data, to post some results here too.

Good looking go at the data. There is a ton of detail you can still pull out of this one for sure. 

Here was my end point on the data: https://www.astrobin.../full/315698/0/

I did a SHO/HOO mix of the two sets of data I provided for PacMan. A bit advanced, but it should at least give you some idea of how much detail is hidden in there to find!

Yes, I could see there's more in the data - and in fact there's more on my screen too - the jpg compression has murdered it a bit.  However, your version has really shown it, definitely.

#39 Gvs

Gvs

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:29 AM

Why thanks!,  this looks great!

#40 PhysicsStudent

PhysicsStudent

Mariner 2

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

Here's attempt 2. I'm gonna try the Pelican later today. Can't say thank you enough for this. It means a lot as a relative newbie to have the chance to practice with high quality data!

Attached Thumbnails

• Bills_Data2.jpg

• rockstarbill, artem2, bmhjr and 1 other like this

#41 PhysicsStudent

PhysicsStudent

Mariner 2

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

Took a crack at the Pelican while I'm sitting here waiting for the UPS man.

Attached Thumbnails

• Bills_Pelican.jpg

• rockstarbill and artem2 like this

#42 Bretw01

Bretw01

Messenger

• Loc: IL USA

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:02 PM

And now for something completely different...

RGB2_LHE_w.jpg

I like the color of the nebula, but not the stars. It seems so much more detail can be captured with narrow band, but I prefer the color of RGB.

This was processed 100% in PI.

Bill, you really do a great job of capturing data!

• rockstarbill, artem2 and bmhjr like this

#43 Koradox

Koradox

Vostok 1

• Loc: S. San Francisco, CA, USA

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

Gave the Pelican a try.  Kind of like this "Earthy" color blend.  Thanks again for sharing the data.

Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• pelicanplay.jpg

• rockstarbill, artem2 and Bretw01 like this

#44 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

And now for something completely different...

RGB2_LHE_w.jpg

I like the color of the nebula, but not the stars. It seems so much more detail can be captured with narrow band, but I prefer the color of RGB.

This was processed 100% in PI.

Bill, you really do a great job of capturing data!

Pretty cool rendition here!

The data was incredible. The venerable TOA130 deserves its legendary reputation.
  • Bretw01 likes this

#45 bmhjr

bmhjr

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:00 PM

Bill,

Is the OIII missing from the Elephant Trunk?  All I found were 2 Ha files.

Thanks,

Bill

#46 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:41 PM

Bill,

Is the OIII missing from the Elephant Trunk?  All I found were 2 Ha files.

Thanks,

Bill

Well it seems so...

I am uploading the lights to the same share, and will also drop some calibration frames in there that I think should work. I'll see if Goofi can update the sticky post to state that the Trunk data is also something folks will need to do from the ground up. 

The data will take a bit to upload. I will edit this post once it all uploads.

#47 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:24 PM

Data has finished uploading and a I sent a request to have the original post modified. 

#48 Arringar

Arringar

Ranger 4

• Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:30 AM

Took a crack at the Pelican while I'm sitting here waiting for the UPS man.

I’m definitely partial to the cooler tones. Great choice of color mapping. This is extraordinary.

Excellent data capture, Bill.
  • PhysicsStudent likes this

#49 bmhjr

bmhjr

Apollo

• ****-

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:39 AM

Data has finished uploading and a I sent a request to have the original post modified.

Thanks

#50 RDBeck

RDBeck

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Katy, TX USA

Posted 26 January 2018 - 01:05 PM

Here's my attempt at the Crescent:

get.jpg?insecure

I applied an RGB mapping with PixelMath:
R=Ha
G=0.65*OIII+0.35*Ha
B=0.8*OIII+0.2*Ha

Processing was limited to ABE, Adaptive Stretch, Histogram Transformation and Curves Transformation.

• rockstarbill, artem2 and Bretw01 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics