•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

binocular mounting: L bracket vs Parallelogram

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 joelin

joelin

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Saratoga, CA

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:40 AM

I have one of these L brackets to mount my 15x70 celestron from Universal astronomics:

http://universalastr.../IMG_0416sm.jpg

They're okay. You have to be careful as sometimes the balance goes off and the thing swings around.

My main issue is I don't think its possible to lie on a recliner and observe through them. The tripod legs get in the way. The best I've been able to do is to squat, and crank my neck up to look through them. 

So I started to eye the Orion Paragon Plus: https://www.telescop...ipod/p/5379.uts

Would this work with a recliner so I can pretty much lie down on my back and look through them?

Edited by joelin, 24 January 2018 - 02:40 AM.

#2 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:35 AM

From an observing comfort perspective, nothing beats a p-mount for straight through binoculars. Those should work perfectly with a reclining lawn chair. That is how I use my DIY p-mount. There is a trick to using a p-mount...

1. Move the chair out of the way.

2. Standing behind the binoculars, point them in the general direction of what you want to look at. You only have to get them in the general vicinity, no need to actually aim them.

3. Move the chair behind the binoculars, leaving enough room for your head. Make sure you adjust the backrest to be approximately perpendicular to where the altitude the binoculars are pointed.  

4. Move the binoculars up and out of the way and sit down.

5. Pull the binoculars down, acquire the target and enjoy.

Once you get the hang of doing this there will usually be very little need to adjust the chair once you are seated. 

• jrbarnett likes this

#3 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Hubble

• Loc: 802,701½ C.E.

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:27 AM

So I started to eye the Orion Paragon Plus: https://www.telescop...ipod/p/5379.uts

Would this work with a recliner so I can pretty much lie down on my back and look through them?

The Orion Paragon Plus Mount is a strictly stand-in-front parallelogram-type mount. I refer you to the Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount) available from Oberwerk. 

I've owned an Orion Paragon Plus Mount for ten years. It has only 3 degrees of motion and performs best with binoculars weighing less than 5 pounds.

Others may have other recommendations for you. I don't because I'm not looking. 

• Mad Matt and joelin like this

#4 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:56 AM

The Orion Paragon Plus Mount is a strictly stand-in-front parallelogram-type mount. I refer you to the Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount) available from Oberwerk. 

I've owned an Orion Paragon Plus Mount for ten years. It has only 3 degrees of motion and performs best with binoculars weighing less than 5 pounds.

Oh, I missed that. Good catch Todd! waytogo.gif

Friends don't let friends buy stand up only p-mounts grin.gif  

• joelin likes this

#5 mikenoname

mikenoname

Mariner 2

• Loc: Death Valley

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:56 PM

From an observing comfort perspective, nothing beats a p-mount for straight through binoculars.

Couldn't disagree more.

IMAG6028s.jpg

#6 joelin

joelin

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:39 PM

From an observing comfort perspective, nothing beats a p-mount for straight through binoculars.

Couldn't disagree more.

attachicon.gif IMAG6028s.jpg

looks like a great idea...but it seems like it would be difficult to point

#7 joelin

joelin

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:40 PM

what kind of motion / capability is available on the Farpoint that the Orion doesn't have?

#8 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:44 PM

Jeolin, here's some great background reading from the "Best Of" the binos forum on mounts, p-grams and mirrors:

The classic EdZ report; some of the names have changed but this still very much applies to current options:

https://www.cloudyni...ts/thoughts.pdf

Rich

• Man in a Tub likes this

#9 jnmacastro

jnmacastro

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Minnesota

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:10 PM

Joelin,  Orion also has their Monster Parallelogram mount.  That one you can use with the recliner, but you can't do that with the Paragon Plus.   At least that is what I understand between the two.  The Monster p-mount would be similar to the Farpoint mount.

#10 mikenoname

mikenoname

Mariner 2

• Loc: Death Valley

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:20 AM

Couldn't disagree more.

Actually it's not. The trick is to look between or just above the barrels of the bino into the mirror to get the coarse alignment and then lower your eyes into the occulars. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it and it becomes pretty easy.

Edited by mikenoname, 25 January 2018 - 12:21 AM.

#11 joelin

joelin

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:08 AM

Couldn't disagree more.

Actually it's not. The trick is to look between or just above the barrels of the bino into the mirror to get the coarse alignment and then lower your eyes into the occulars. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it and it becomes pretty easy.

does anyone sell such a setup?

#12 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:40 AM

Couldn't disagree more.

does anyone sell such a setup?

Unfortunately they are no longer sold. If you are a DIY person, you can make one yourself from two newton secondary mirrors.

Before you go down that path, you should bear in mind that although mirror solutions like the one pictured above provide for comfortable zenith viewing, the image will be upside down. I personally find that he lack of a correctly orientated image ruins most of the fun as it makes me have to think to much when scanning. It was a show stopper for me.

Of course if an upside down image that is not a problem then that can be a great solution.

Edited by Mad Matt, 25 January 2018 - 03:43 AM.

#13 RichD

RichD

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Derbyshire, UK

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:56 AM

Also you can't recline on a sun lounger type chair with the mirror set up. Got to be sat upright.

Edited by RichD, 25 January 2018 - 05:56 AM.

• Mad Matt likes this

#14 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:26 AM

Also you can't recline on a sun lounger type chair with the mirror set up. Got to be sat upright.

Yea, it's harder to fall asleep in an upright chair blush.gif laugh.gif grin.gif

#15 RichD

RichD

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Derbyshire, UK

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:11 AM

I fall asleep most observing sessions these days!sleepy.gif

• Mad Matt likes this

#16 joelin

joelin

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:35 PM

I happened to see one of those Farpoints on the Classifieds:

https://www.cloudyni...berwerk-tripod/

Will this mount + the tripod in the listing work with any zero gravity chair I pair with it?

The arms dont seem super long so I'm not sure if they'll clear the tripod legs well.

#17 Rich V.

Rich V.

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:56 PM

The seller states that this p-gram doesn't have the swing hinge at the end of the arms.  The swing hinge has been added to the newer Farpoint mounts; perhaps the p-gram can be upgraded, depending on how the current L bracket is mounted.  The hinge is now available from Farpoint on the new models.  You might inquire at Farpoint to see if it's possible.

Without the swing hinge option, reclined viewing comfort and horizontal angle of view will be compromised, IMO.  The extra axis of motion at the end of the arms is a big help.

Rich

#18 joelin

joelin

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:03 PM

It looks like you could buy the swing hinge and add it as an accessory?

https://farpointastr...hinge-for-ubm/ 

#19 earlyriser

earlyriser

Viking 1

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:08 PM

I have one of these L brackets to mount my 15x70 celestron from Universal astronomics:

http://universalastr.../IMG_0416sm.jpg

They're okay. You have to be careful as sometimes the balance goes off and the thing swings around.

My main issue is I don't think its possible to lie on a recliner and observe through them. The tripod legs get in the way. The best I've been able to do is to squat, and crank my neck up to look through them. 

No. I bought one of these and the tripod gets in the way of the recliner.  I ended up returning it.

https://www.cloudyni...ining-position/

Edited by earlyriser, 01 February 2018 - 05:11 PM.

#20 walle

walle

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Castle Rock, WA

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:33 PM

I use the Orion monster Pgram and am very happy with it with bino’s up to15lbs or maybe a little more. straight thru’s work the best especially in a zero grav recliner but I use APM 82’s and 100’s/45’s in it too. It costs a little more but is much heavier duty than the cheaper ones. Just got a pair of APM 25/100ED’s for the pgram but havn’t seen stars for weeks here in the NW!

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics