•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unitron 40mm and 50mm scopes Cemented or Air Spaced?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#26 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:14 AM

I keep my old windows XP around just for the Sky & Telescope disk collection, which won't work

on new computers.

IMG_8326.jpg

Edited by actionhac, 26 January 2018 - 12:39 AM.

#27 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Ranger 4

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 26 January 2018 - 12:16 AM

I've never seen any 7XX models in any catalogs either.  I wonder if going through old S&T's would bear fruit?  

The searchable DVDs won't run in my new computer for some reason.  I'll try them in my wife's laptop.  My paper copies are boxed and buried in the basement except for recent ones.

Here is a 1962 ad from Dave's fantastic Unitron History site:

http://www.unitronhi...09_700series_a/

• Terra Nova likes this

#28 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:21 AM

I've never seen any 7XX models in any catalogs either.  I wonder if going through old S&T's would bear fruit?  

The searchable DVDs won't run in my new computer for some reason.  I'll try them in my wife's laptop.  My paper copies are boxed and buried in the basement except for recent ones.

I wonder if they were a ‘special’ or limited offer for beginners and were not in the general catalogs or just weren’t available for very long? The prices are reduced (the 2.4”/60mm is considerably less) and look at that curious eyepiece holder. Very interesting! Where is the 1962 date?

Edited by terraclarke, 26 January 2018 - 07:27 AM.

#29 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:29 AM

I keep my old windows XP around just for the Sky & Telescope disk collection, which won't work

on new computers.

attachicon.gif IMG_8326.jpg

They work fine on my iMac with OSX or at least they used to. I recently upgraded the operating system to the latest version- High Sierra. I will have to check it out.

#30 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:54 AM

on new computers.

They work fine on my iMac with OSX or at least they used to. I recently upgraded the operating system to the latest version- High Sierra. I will have to check it out.

Update: just tried it! Nope, zip, nada!!! Glad I still have an XP laptop! What a bunch of crap! For what that set cost it should be in a simple DVD format that would work forever! I thought that was the point of optical media!!! :Grrrrr:

• Esso2112 likes this

#31 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:26 AM

It ticked me off royally when I found they wouldn't play on my new machine.   They are DVD ROM disks, so they won't work in a regular DVD player either.

I kept my old XP machine but it needs some significant work to bring it back from the dead.  

:bangbang:

#32 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:34 AM

I wonder if they remembered to put a record player onboard the Voyager so the aliens could play the ‘gold record of everything’? :lol:

• clamchip and steve t like this

#33 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:37 AM

I wonder if they remembered to put a record player onboard the Voyager so the aliens could play the ‘gold record of everything’? lol.gif

They did!  There are instructions for using parts of the spacecraft to build a record player.   I only hope IKEA didn't write the instructions.  

• clamchip, DreamWeaver, steve t and 2 others like this

#34 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

Get one of those newer external hard drives, and copy the CD from your XP machine to it, maybe? Then it should work on any computer. These hard drives are not expensive, compared to a 60mm scope, and are now running over 1TB of storage space.

#35 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:48 AM

on new computers.

I run these old XP only programs in a virtual machine, so I don't need to tote around an old creaky computer. Except when I need a real serial port..

-drl

#36 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:51 AM

Man they knew how to lay it on thick! Maybe Darren Stevens was working for them.

-drl

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

#37 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:58 AM

Get one of those newer external hard drives, and copy the CD from your XP machine to it, maybe? Then it should work on any computer. These hard drives are not expensive, compared to a 60mm scope, and are now running over 1TB of storage space.

I use a 1TB external drive for most everything, still about 80% empty, so I'll try that.  Worth a shot.  

The computer itself actually has 2TB of onboard memory that I haven't even touched yet.  8 gigs RAM.  

It may be a browser problem since the disks are supposed to be used in a browser window.

Oh, and I located one of my 40mm Unitron OTAs, it's an older one that I restored and I believe came from Johann originally.  It's the one that my wife dropped and the objective was shattered.  I'm pretty sure I threw the glass chips away but will find out when I pull it down this weekend.  I also located my 740 & 750 boxes so hopefully can dig those out this weekend, as well.

Terra, that turret seen on the 750 is the same one that I have on one of my little Sans & Streiffe scopes.  It's major flaw is that the output eyepiece is straight-through, and a diagonal can't be added.  At least to the S&S version.   I'm not fond of it at all.

• Terra Nova likes this

#38 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:17 PM

All the old Sky and Tels are on line here https://archive.org/...escope"&page=17

So to see, all the Sky and Telescopes  from  say 1959,  on the search line type Sky and Telescope 1959. You have to page thru each one or look at the advertisers index to find the page that has the  Unitron ads. 

- Dave 

• Chuck Hards, Terra Nova and GoodAsh like this

#39 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

Thanks Dave!  Great tip.

#40 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 26 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

It can’t just be that. My iMac plays other DVDs and CDs like music and videos just fine. I think its an APFS error in the upgraded OS that is now incompatible with the old file system on the DVD. When I put it in, it acts just exactly like when you put in a blank unformated disk. It goes through the seek routine several times, can’t find anything to boot and then just spits it out. Does exactly the same thing with my portable USB2 CD/DVD burner/player.

#41 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:05 PM

Thanks Dave!  Great tip.

Better link, browse-able

https://archive.org/...y_and_Telescope

-drl

• Terra Nova and jcruse64 like this

#42 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

I like that! That was is way more convenient than the DVDs. I can use my iPad and read them anywhere! Nice they aren’t charging for the service. Are they nolonger selling the DVDs? I don’t recall seeing them advertised in a while.

#43 Dave Trott

Dave Trott

Ranger 4

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

I wonder if they were a ‘special’ or limited offer for beginners and were not in the general catalogs or just weren’t available for very long? The prices are reduced (the 2.4”/60mm is considerably less) and look at that curious eyepiece holder. Very interesting! Where is the 1962 date?

The 1962 date appears on Dave's site....

• Terra Nova likes this

#44 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

Thanks Dave!  Great tip.

Better link, browse-able

-drl

same site  as mine !

- Dave 

#45 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:14 PM

The 1962 date appears on Dave's site....

That is interesting because looking at the picture it looks like all three scopes have those bold-print Unitron stick-on labels on the focusers. I had always thought those were much later. So if that is what I am seeing, I know that I can’t use that as a criterion for dating.

#46 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Soyuz

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:16 PM

on new computers.

Update: just tried it! Nope, zip, nada!!! Glad I still have an XP laptop! What a bunch of crap! For what that set cost it should be in a simple DVD format that would work forever! I thought that was the point of optical media!!! :Grrrrr:

S&T had a fix posted.  It was a security fix for Flash vulnerability that killed but the fix lets you set a trusted site exception for content on your local drive you run the DVDs from:

http://www.skyandtel...cd-adobe-flash/

Dave

#47 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

Thanks Dave!  Great tip.

Better link, browse-able

-drl

same site  as mine !

- Dave 

It is but easier to navigate.

-drl

#48 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:14 PM

Thanks Dave!  Great tip.

Better link, browse-able

-drl

same site  as mine !

- Dave 

It is but easier to navigate.

-drl

it is the same site. Same exact address and everything.  confused1.gif

• TOM KIEHL likes this

#49 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:00 PM

The S&T fix was only partially successful on my home computer.  I can now open the first page, showing the entire year, but clicking on "read this issue" only gets me "loading" for ever.  I gave it a half hour tonight.  

So I'll stick with the online files for now.

#50 GoodAsh

GoodAsh

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:36 AM

I've never seen any 7XX models in any catalogs either. I wonder if going through old S&T's would bear fruit?

The searchable DVDs won't run in my new computer for some reason. I'll try them in my wife's laptop. My paper copies are boxed and buried in the basement except for recent ones.

All the old Sky and Tels are on line here https://archive.org/...escope"&page=17
So to see, all the Sky and Telescopes from say 1959, on the search line type Sky and Telescope 1959. You have to page thru each one or look at the advertisers index to find the page that has the Unitron ads.

- Dave

Thanks for the link!

Al

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics