•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unitron 40mm and 50mm scopes Cemented or Air Spaced?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#51 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

The S&T fix was only partially successful on my home computer.  I can now open the first page, showing the entire year, but clicking on "read this issue" only gets me "loading" for ever.  I gave it a half hour tonight.  

So I'll stick with the online files for now.

I went through the same thing with National Geographic fifteen or twenty years ago. Got the sets of magazines and also all the maps on CDs. Then a few years later none of it worked. Thankfully, I kept most of my map collection. I figured the S&T collection would last longer; especially given what it cost! Oh well, live and learn.

Edited by terraclarke, 27 January 2018 - 10:57 AM.

• steve t and TOM KIEHL like this

#52 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• topic starter

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:36 PM

Update:

I found my two copies of the model 127.  The restored one with the broken objective was passed-on to another CN member who thought they might have a replacement objective for it.  I did not keep the broken objective.  I still need to dig-out my 740 & 750, but this 127 tells me that my memory is at least partially correct. 

This second 127 is still in factory colors and I believe it to be the older of the two.  It came in a very small box for just the OTA, eyepieces and diagonal, and carries the United sticker inside the lid, before they became known as Unitron.  This puts it pre-1956, yes?

The finder bracket tube mounting screws are obviously not stock, but the rest of the scope appears to be.  Huge prism diagonal, heavy, possibly turned brass eyepieces that don't look Unitron but do look like they are from the 50's.   The objective cell is not the same as on the later 127.

The objective is cemented.   Seen in the last photo in a wood V-block with the cell and dewcap.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

• rolo, CharlieB, starman876 and 5 others like this

#53 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

Update:

I found my two copies of the model 127.  The restored one with the broken objective was passed-on to another CN member who thought they might have a replacement objective for it.  I did not keep the broken objective.  I still need to dig-out my 740 & 750, but this 127 tells me that my memory is at least partially correct. 

This second 127 is still in factory colors and I believe it to be the older of the two.  It came in a very small box for just the OTA, eyepieces and diagonal, and carries the United sticker inside the lid, before they became known as Unitron.  This puts it pre-1956, yes?

The finder bracket tube mounting screws are obviously not stock, but the rest of the scope appears to be.  Huge prism diagonal, heavy, possibly turned brass eyepieces that don't look Unitron but do look like they are from the 50's.   The objective cell is not the same as on the later 127.

The objective is cemented.   Seen in the last photo in a wood V-block with the cell and dewcap.

attachicon.gif 001.jpg

attachicon.gif 002.jpg

attachicon.gif 003.jpg

attachicon.gif 004.jpg

attachicon.gif 005.jpg

That looks to be as old as my pre 1955 M160 as the focus knob was the same on my guide scope.  On a late 80's finder i bought it had a non air spaced lens.  

Edited by CHASLX200, 03 February 2018 - 08:40 PM.

#54 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:37 PM

My 1957 Goto HS 452 has that same focus knob.  As we've said before, makes economic sense that the scope makers would buy from the same hardware makers.

#55 combatdad

combatdad

Vanguard

• Loc: Culpeper, VA

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:40 PM

Some information on the Model 700 series.  They were first advertised in September 1962....and last advertised in October 1966.  For your information, I have a page listing availability dates on scopes and certain other updates/accessories here: http://www.unitronhi...lease-dates/.  

The initial September 1962 advertisement on the Model 700 series does specify "air-spaced: http://www.unitronhi...09_700series_a/.

The photos I have available on the UH website of Model's 105 and 127's (one 105 and 2x127's) are all air-spaced.

Dave

Edited by combatdad, 04 February 2018 - 02:03 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#56 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 03 February 2018 - 10:49 PM

So my early cemented 127 is an uncommon anomaly, Dave?

#57 combatdad

combatdad

Vanguard

• Loc: Culpeper, VA

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:04 PM

So my early cemented 127 is an uncommon anomaly, Dave?

Too early to tell, Chuck.  Guess we'll have to see who else responds to this thread!!  The Model 127 was around from the very beginning and for a good number of years...

Dave

• Chuck Hards likes this

#58 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:19 PM

The lens looks old, very shallow curves on both R1 and R4.  

I also noticed that the 127 is 42mm, while the 740 is 40mm, according to the engraving on the focuser.  

#59 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:32 PM

Very interesting. That would be the first verified cemented lens that I have seen first hand proof of.   Pictures don't lie.

Wonder who else can show us a picture of a Unitron cemented lens.

• Chuck Hards and Terra Nova like this

#60 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:08 PM

While I had the old 127 out, the eyepieces caught my eye.  They didn't look Unitron but I had seen them before.  

Today I found the ones they reminded me of.  These are the Criterion .945" eyepieces that were proprietary to their 4" standard Newtonian.  The 4" Deluxe Dynascope with full EQ mount, drives, and rotating rings, used 1.25" eyepieces.

In this pic, the Unitron .965" eyepieces are in the back row.

Then we have two different years of the Criterion .945" eyepiece line-up.

It seems obvious that these were made in the same factory.  It's well-known that Criterion bought Japanese finders in addition to eyepieces, perhaps Unitron had the same supplier very early-on?  Anybody else have these eyepieces with a very early, small-aperture Unitron?

001.jpg

002.jpg

• clamchip, Bomber Bob and aoirotukiko like this

#61 GoodAsh

GoodAsh

Viking 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:19 PM

While I had the old 127 out, the eyepieces caught my eye.  They didn't look Unitron but I had seen them before.  

Today I found the ones they reminded me of.  These are the Criterion .945" eyepieces that were proprietary to their 4" standard Newtonian.  The 4" Deluxe Dynascope with full EQ mount, drives, and rotating rings, used 1.25" eyepieces.

It seems obvious that these were made in the same factory.  It's well-known that Criterion bought Japanese finders in addition to eyepieces, perhaps Unitron had the same supplier very early-on?  Anybody else have these eyepieces with a very early, small-aperture Unitron?

attachicon.gif 001.jpg

attachicon.gif 002.jpg

This one was included with my c. 1952 model 128.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20180204_211810.jpg

• Chuck Hards and Bomber Bob like this

#62 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 04 February 2018 - 10:29 PM

I got three of these with my early 128.  Have to dig the box out to take pics, but they are the same as the pics Chuck showed. 

• Chuck Hards likes this

#63 astro140

astro140

Mariner 2

• Loc: Mayhill, New Mexico

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:03 PM

attachicon.gif 001.jpg

attachicon.gif 002.jpg

IMG_2087.JPG IMG_2088.JPG

Chuck, I have an 18 mm Criterion 0.945 inch eyepiece that has a Circle Y stamp on the barrel (appear to have brass construction).  Any of yours have a makers marks on them? I have three others with CRICO  (criterion abbreviation) which are slightly  taller (about 4 mm) which do not have a makers mark but are stamped "Japan" on the barrels of the eyepiece.  I have a short Criterion 4 mm ortho eyepiece that appears to be of aluminum construction with no stamps on the barrel. All of the mentioned eyepieces have the 0.945 inch diameter.

Steve,

NM

• Chuck Hards likes this

#64 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

• topic starter

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:32 PM

That's the Eikow stamp, isn't it?   I'll check mine for maker's marks and let you know.

This just keeps getting more interesting.  

Thanks Steve!

#65 astro140

astro140

Mariner 2

• Loc: Mayhill, New Mexico

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:41 PM

That's the Eikow stamp, isn't it?   I'll check mine for maker's marks and let you know.

This just keeps getting more interesting.  

Thanks Steve!

Yes, the "Mercedes" or Circle Y has been associated with Eikow.  Note, however, that there is a horizontal line (actually a space) bisecting the circle Y on Eikow telescopes, whereas on Criterion eyepieces there is no horizontal line (space).  This can be seen in the "comprehensive list of Japanese symbols" on this forum.  I am not sure if this discrepancy has been resolved.

Steve

NM

#66 aoirotukiko

aoirotukiko

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Japan

Posted 09 October 2021 - 06:58 PM

Circle Y is Toho Optical Industry(東邦光学工業). Eikow (エイコー)was supplied with products from Toho Optical Indastry and Towa (東和光器). Currently, I am investigating with Mr. Miyakawa (founder of Eikow) And Eikow. I am also interested in Mr. Kobayashi (founder of the Nippon Seiko) and the Nippon Seiko (日本精光研究所). Toho Optical  was founded by Mr. Koizumi  and manufactured parts for binoculars.
I would also like to investigate the relationship between the Nippon Seiko  and Toho Optical Indastry.
Regarding Japanese astronomical telescope manufacturers, I would like to report the survey results in due course.

• astro140, mdowns, AllanDystrup and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics