•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

John Mallas' 4" Unitron

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#126 tim53

tim53

Voyager 1

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

I can't figure out how I managed to miss this entire thread!  No excuse, as these kinds of threads are so important to preserve the history of the great amateur telescope makers who've gone before.  Thank your grandfather for me (and all of us, I'm sure) for devoting so much of his time relaying his stories and showing us his pictures.  they're precious!!

-Tim.

• jim kuhns, Bill Griffith and Augustus like this

#127 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• Loc: Oil City, PA

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:54 PM

Krista,

Thanks for letting this online community know, and I'm sorry to hear of his condition.  He has deeply blessed us with his first hand knowledge of history in our pursuit.  Reading of his posts told stories that formed vivid images in my mind.  Images of telescopes and equipment created by a generation that did not have relatively inexpensive commercial equipment widely available, as we do today.  People like your grandfather are true pioneers.

John

• Bill Griffith, terraclarke, Geo31 and 2 others like this

#128 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Gemini

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:06 PM

Krista, how sad to hear of your grandfather's health! Thank you for posting. We all wish he were well and enjoying life, and posting his vignettes here from time to time. 

Keith, your many stories comprise one of the truly great threads here on Cloudy Nights Classics Forum. To hear so much history, from one who lived it, is at the heart of this forum's purpose. That said, the lessons you left here are transcendent in their constant theme of the value of friendship above all else. You travelled the heavens, seeing far more than most who came before, yet valued the companionship of those with whom you invented the field far beyond whatever you saw together. So many of your stories lamented that, in recalling those whom you had been unable to see for so long, you wanted only, somehow, for the universe to "just give me my friends." 

I am sure that everyone here wished it would have been possible to have known you personally, but with an online forum traversing such vast distances over the Earth, most of us (all of us?) were privileged to have known you only from your delightfully engaging, historically important writing, which we shall preserve. Online friends are not quite like friends-in-person, because we know so much less about each other than one would come to know in daily life. Still, somehow, online friends are real, in the sense of being free to share an admittedly arcane interest, with the like-minded followers from everywhere joined in a way that would not be possible in person. You found friends here, earning our profound respect and affection through your kindness, determination, charm, and your writing's revelations of the previously unknown, otherwise unknowable details of how you and your friends developed classic amateur astronomy. 

Thank you for your time here, and all the fine stories spoken so clearly. I wish you well, and much comfort. This is a thread I re-read, so I'll be thinking of you again, always wishing that, by whatever welcome surprise of the universe, a new tale of yours might appear, even as I shall always be grateful for all you have already given. 

Best regards, 

Joe Cepleur

• Richard Whalen, Jim Curry, John O'Hara and 5 others like this

#129 SLarkin

SLarkin

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: AZ & MN

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:22 PM

Keith Parizek, my neighbor and friend, passed away peacefully on the morning of  Aug 14, surrounded by his family,  

Edited by SLarkin, 20 August 2019 - 01:23 PM.

• tim53 likes this

#130 jcruse64

jcruse64

Messenger

• Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:13 PM

Very sorry to hear this, for you and his family. I really enjoyed his reminisces on here.

• tim53 likes this

#131 John O'Hara

John O'Hara

Viking 1

• Loc: Oil City, PA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:08 PM

I'm very sad to hear this too.  Though at 53, I'm not really a member of the "old guard" (though I'm getting there), I've been in the hobby since I was 10 when the "old guard" was at the top of the hobby.  I feel it deeply when one of my seniors passes.  My prayers go out to his friends and family.

#132 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:54 PM

I’m very sorry to hear of Keith’s passing.  I really enjoyed his posts and experiences and am grateful he chose to share his time with us.

Dave

• John O'Hara and Geo31 like this

#133 Richard Whalen

Richard Whalen

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Florida

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:58 PM

This thread should be pinned for posterity. Wonderful recollections from a different age. My condolences to his friends and family.  

• tim53, John O'Hara, Bill Griffith and 1 other like this

#134 Geo31

Geo31

Voyager 1

• Loc: Willis, TX

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:35 AM

I'm so very sad to hear this.  I will deeply miss Keith's stories.

• jcruse64 likes this

#135 CeeKay

CeeKay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA

Posted 22 August 2019 - 12:11 PM

My condolences to the family and friends of Keith Parizek - I had been reading this thread recently and thought his stories were great.

#136 terraclarke

terraclarke

ISS

• Loc: Ohio Valley

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:23 PM

We were blessed that Mr. Parizek shared all of those memories with us the last year of his life and that they will now become part of the vast archive that is the internet. I really enjoyed reading his recollections.

• Geo31, Augustus and jcruse64 like this

#137 skywatcher3000

skywatcher3000

Explorer 1

• Loc: Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:25 AM

I'm so sorry to hear of his passing, as well. He was a great mentor for me, and gave me many words of encouragement when I was getting more deeply into astrophotography with some serious instruments that my friends and I were developing back in the eighties. Although he invited me several times to visit him and see his observatory in Arizona, life just got in the way and I never could get out there to visit. I was very fortunate, though, I finally did get to personally meet with him years later when he came to RTMC back in the late nineties. I will always treasure his stories and the knowledge he shared from his broad range of experience he had in all facets of building and using telescopes for astrophotography and visual work.  We have lost another one of the "greats"!!

• John O'Hara, terraclarke, Geo31 and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics