•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Erie Pennsylvania Star Party

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: The Great Rift

Posted 31 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

The Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources will be hosting a star party in Erie County Pennsylvania on March 20, 2018. It will be at the Erie Bluffs, off Route 5 on Lake Erie near Lake City Pennsylvania. It is state park that is a relatively dark location and amateur astronomers are invited to bring their telescopes. Please be aware that this is NOT an overnight event. It is the first of its kind at this location and for this first year is intended to be a public outreach. Also, it is important to note that electricity is NOT available. I will be posting more details as they become available. If you are interested please PM me or post something here although that is not required...just show up! 

• Augustus, zakry3323, dagadget and 1 other like this

#2 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:08 PM

The Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources will be hosting a star party in Erie County Pennsylvania on March 20, 2018. It will be at the Erie Bluffs, off Route 5 on Lake Erie near Lake City Pennsylvania. It is state park that is a relatively dark location and amateur astronomers are invited to bring their telescopes. Please be aware that this is NOT an overnight event. It is the first of its kind at this location and for this first year is intended to be a public outreach. Also, it is important to note that electricity is NOT available. I will be posting more details as they become available. If you are interested please PM me or post something here although that is not required...just show up! 

If you are an experienced amateur astronomer and want to bring your telescope please call 814-732-2493 to reserve a spot. Our group will have several telescopes there, each one will be assigned to a particular astronomical object and will stay on that particular object from 7:00 to 10:00 when the event ends....unless that object sets, then it will move to something else. However if you bring your scope you will be able to observe anything you like when you share the view with the public. Once again, there is no electricity at the park so bear that in mind if your scope needs power. 

#3 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 February 2018 - 07:52 PM

This has been very exciting to organize especially since it is the first of what we hope may become an annual event. Thanks to all the astronomers from Pittsburgh who have expressed an interest. We have a good location here since Cleveland and Buffalo are about the same distance from us as Pittsburgh (Cleveland is actually the closest). I haven't mentioned this yet but this event is also hosted by Edinboro University of Pennsylvania. If it ends up being cloudy we will reschedule one month later....possibly April 17 or 18. 

#4 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:32 PM

This is what happens when a rookie organizer plans something like this. Our event is scheduled to start at 7:00 which I thought was fine since we could observe the Moon and Venus until it gets dark enough at 7:30 to start observing other things. Tonight I was watching the local weather and when they showed the week long graphic it showed a time change for Saturday.....a time change. ..um doesn't that mean that we won't be able to observe until 8:30? Yep, it does. I guess I'd better make a time adjustment and get ready to talk for awhile to the folks who don't get the update. I'm not posting this because I enjoy being embarrassed. I'm posting it so future organizers can learn from my mistake.

#5 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 06 March 2018 - 08:57 PM

Daylight savings time doesn't kick in until Sunday, March 11, 2:00 am.  You should be GTG Saturday night.

#6 Richie2shoes

Richie2shoes

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 07 March 2018 - 02:00 PM

I updated the Pittsburgh AAAP message board with the new time.  

#7 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:50 PM

I updated the Pittsburgh AAAP message board with the new time.  

We're going to be there plenty early so it doesn't matter what time folks from Pittsburgh get there. I would guess that we'll be there before 6 but I'll keep you updated. It was decided to keep the official time of 7:00 so if people do come that early we'll be observing the Moon and talking a lot. 

#8 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:51 PM

One of our Erie television stations just did a lengthy story on our upcoming event Tuesday. That was nice of them. Now if the clouds will be nice and stay away. I wish we would have done it tonight or last night. We have had fantastic night skies here on Lake Erie!

• dagadget likes this

#9 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:04 PM

The first annual Erie Bluffs Star Party is over and the clouds reared their ugly heads and after teasing us with 5 nights of perfect skies. Unfortunately we couldn't squeeze out a sixth night when it really mattered....oh well.... everybody here can relate to that frustration. It wasn't a total loss though. We got to view the Moon, Venus and Mercury and we learned a lot about organizing a star party. The clouds rolled in from the south and we didn't even get a chance to observe M42. Thanks to 5 local amateurs showing up we ended up with a total of 10 telescopes and nobody had to wait long to observe in each. The local television stations gave us great coverage and this will be an annual event. In fact, we will likely be doing an October party so it will probably become semi-annual. Thanks to Cloudy Nights for providing this public outreach thread to help everyone like us to promote their event. 

• Lukes1040 likes this

#10 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

We're doing it again! Only this time we're calling it "A Night Under the Andromeda Galaxy". We're meeting again at the Erie Bluffs State Park. This time it will be Monday October 8 on a New Moon. I would appreciate it if a moderator would transfer this entire topic to "Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties" since our event is now a semi-annual star party and not simply a one-time outreach. Sky&Telescope mentions it at the end of my piece "Outwitted" on their "Focal Point" on the last page of October's edition. I'll keep you updated.  

#11 zakry3323

zakry3323

Messenger

• Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:14 AM

Can you post a link any official posting this may have? I'd like to share with my urban outreach group. 

#12 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:26 AM

Can you post a link any official posting this may have? I'd like to share with my urban outreach group. 

I'll get back to you. The Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources takes care of all the press releases and publicity since they work with Edinboro University on this (see post #1). The DCNR folks who run Presque Isle State Park also run the Erie Bluffs but I don't know if they've officially announced it yet. Thanks for showing interest. 

#13 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:23 AM

I would appreciate it if a moderator would transfer this entire topic to "Astronomy Clubs and Star Parties" since our event is now a semi-annual star party and not simply a one-time outreach. 

Does anybody know the best way to get this request approved? 

#14 Richie2shoes

Richie2shoes

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:04 AM

I posted this to the Pittsburgh (AAAP) astronomy message board.

• JNDiller and zakry3323 like this

#15 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:40 PM

I posted this to the Pittsburgh (AAAP) astronomy message board.

Thanks a trillion!

#16 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:10 AM

Monday October 8 we will be meeting at 6:00 at the Erie Bluffs. The official starting time for the public is 7:00. In the event of clouds the folks at the DCNR will be doing a night walk on their trails. This is a fantastic spot for public outreach events so let's hope that clear skies prevail!

#17 CygnuS

CygnuS

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:41 AM

Great night last night. We didn't get the turn out that we had in the spring but we got some great skies. We also saw a ton of dimmer meteors from Draco and watched the ISS from horizon to horizon. There were a lot of folks from the city of Erie who had never seen a dark night sky or looked through a telescope before and that's exactly why we do what we do. The plan is to make this a semi-annual outreach star party at the Bluffs. We will likely adjust the spring one and make it in April. Thanks to Cloudy Nights for providing this forum to promote these types of things!

• Dave Mitsky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics