•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moonraker builds for NETFLIX ALTERED CARBON series.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 markdturner1

markdturner1

Vendor - Moonraker Telescopes

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Teddington Middlesex England

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:27 AM

Moonraker builds for NETFLIX.

The new steampunk Sci-Fi series call ALTERED CARBON.

We got a call from the producers of the show back in late 2016 to create a retro/futuristic telescope and mount for scenes in the series.

It is out today on NETFLIX, and the scope and mount hopefully look cool. Below are a few images from the first episode and pictures of the scope and mount in production.

Time was short to meet the deadline as we only had about six weeks from start to finish.....

If you want more information on the build please get in touch.

We will be producing a limited run of mounts and scopes based on this concept. Thanks for looking, Mark.waytogo.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• cn (1 of 7).jpg
  • cn (2 of 7).jpg
  • cn (5 of 7).jpg
  • cn (6 of 7).jpg
  • cn (3 of 7).jpg

• Paul Schroeder, zjc26138, Glassthrower and 27 others like this

#2 markdturner1

markdturner1

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:35 AM

Here a few images of the build including quick sketch for mount concept. more info can be found at

https://www.facebook...94809513867970/

If anyone is interested I can explain the reason for the hoses lights etc on the mount.

Thanks,

Mark.

Attached Thumbnails

• xx (1 of 2).jpg
  • xx (1 of 5).jpg
  • xx (2 of 5).jpg
  • xx (3 of 5).jpg

• Paul Schroeder, dan77, CarlDD and 9 others like this

#3 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:44 AM

Absolutely stunning Mark!

#4 wcw

wcw

Vostok 1

• Loc: Red Hook, NY

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

Luke Skywalker Mark, this was truly your destiny. I am very happy for you. Congratulations!

-Bill

P.S. We met once at NEAF a few years back. I asked you "Why?" and you said "Because I can!"

• Spacefreak1974 likes this

#5 NiteGuy

NiteGuy

Apollo

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:32 AM

If anyone is interested I can explain the reason for the hoses lights etc on the mount.

Those are obviously for the Flux Capacitor. Just make sure you never transport that scope over 88 miles per hour or you might have to go back to 1955 to retrieve it.

#6 Eric H

Eric H

Viking 1

• Loc: Washougal, WA

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:17 PM

Very cool Mark!

#7 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:52 PM

Just watched the 1st episode. Your scope looks awesome! The show is good, too. Has a "Blade Runner" feel.

#8 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:21 AM

Now that is cool! Congrats!

#9 markdturner1

markdturner1

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:25 AM

Here's a few more images pulled from a later episode, just more of the same, but fun. Most excellent series.

Attached Thumbnails

• zz (4 of 6).jpg
  • zz (6 of 6).jpg
  • zz (2 of 6).jpg
  • zz (3 of 6).jpg

• CounterWeight, R Botero, rockethead26 and 3 others like this

#10 Mark9473

Mark9473

Voyager 1

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:24 AM

True works of art; very impressive!

Can you share what these instruments are? Just curious.

#11 chrisastro8

chrisastro8

Ranger 4

• Loc: Texas

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:17 PM

Mark, congratulations.  I watched the first show and it looks amazing.  Got to hear it slew.  The palace/observatory if you can call it that is always above the clouds...  

Cheers,  Chris

#12 hottr6

hottr6

Skylab

• Loc: 7,257', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 05 February 2018 - 08:21 AM

I think it looks very cool.  With today’s builders desperately trying to hide power and control cables inside mounts, the armored hoses eliminate the need to hide and give the rig an esthetic similar in feel to Ridley Scott’s Engineer’s cockpit in the movie Alien.  coolnod.gif 

#13 BillP

BillP

ISS

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:12 PM

Congrats Mark!  Start thinking about a laser blaster build as I'm sure some producer will see the scope and wonder what kinds of future weapon designs you can dream up laugh.gif

#14 Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Vanguard

• Loc: Frankfurt, Germany

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

Looks very cool! Does it actually work or is it purely a mock up?

#15 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:37 PM

When we were watching the episodes, I scared my wife by jumping out of the seat and yelling "that's a Moonraker!!!" 

Seriously, you outdid yourself. All the AC visuals were out of this world, but your magnificent telescope brought "opulent" and "future technology" to mind like nothing else. I froze the image to admire it.

• seawolfe likes this

#16 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:41 PM

Congratulations - those are impressive / amazing works of art!

#17 markdturner1

markdturner1

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:33 AM

Hi everyone, apologies for not getting back sooner to answer a few question and thanks for all the positive posts, really appreciated.

The mount is, as you know is an EQ6 which had been tuned with up rated bearings, belt drive and some mount wizardry from Dark Frame Ltd here in the UK.. I machined collars, box and cone to change the appearance, stripped and polised and connected it up to work remotely.

The concept of the piping from the scopes to the mount is based on a concept of removing all the air in the tubes to create a vacuum to stabilize the temperature, the scopes being double walled. The scopes would then be filled with a secret gas {not yet discovered} to accelerate light transmission.....confused1.gif  . Then the red light on the mount works like the HAARP array, punches a hole in the upper atmosphere and Ta Da!!!! you get perfect views of orbiting satellites........waytogo.gif 

Ok, I know it's a rubbish concept, but you need to fire up your imagination when the only brief I had for the build was.... Make a telescope array that is an antique in 2500AD but has not been built in the 21 century and also built  with out sight of the book or script. So just a bit of fun really.

The scopes would work, based on f16, f12 and f8 , but they have no lenses and the EP isn't real, I made it from alli and black etched the top to look like rubber and the bino's have no guts.

Busy working on eighteen builds and pics coming on new threads soon.

Thank you, Mark.

• Glassthrower and Mark9473 like this

#18 rockethead26

rockethead26

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Arizona, USA

Posted 28 March 2018 - 06:10 PM

Mark,

Looking forward to some preliminary picks of our 8" f/12.😙

#19 seawolfe

seawolfe

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:43 AM

Hi everyone, apologies for not getting back sooner to answer a few question and thanks for all the positive posts, really appreciated.

The mount is, as you know is an EQ6 which had been tuned with up rated bearings, belt drive and some mount wizardry from Dark Frame Ltd here in the UK.. I machined collars, box and cone to change the appearance, stripped and polised and connected it up to work remotely.

The concept of the piping from the scopes to the mount is based on a concept of removing all the air in the tubes to create a vacuum to stabilize the temperature, the scopes being double walled. The scopes would then be filled with a secret gas {not yet discovered} to accelerate light transmission.....confused1.gif  . Then the red light on the mount works like the HAARP array, punches a hole in the upper atmosphere and Ta Da!!!! you get perfect views of orbiting satellites........waytogo.gif

Ok, I know it's a rubbish concept, but you need to fire up your imagination when the only brief I had for the build was.... Make a telescope array that is an antique in 2500AD but has not been built in the 21 century and also built  with out sight of the book or script. So just a bit of fun really.

The scopes would work, based on f16, f12 and f8 , but they have no lenses and the EP isn't real, I made it from alli and black etched the top to look like rubber and the bino's have no guts.

Busy working on eighteen builds and pics coming on new threads soon.

Thank you, Mark.

Too bad that scope wasn't a real one, as it looks marvelous!  I know, it's just a prop....do you get it back when the show is done with it?  If so, any plans to make it a REAL scope?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics