•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My Clavè quiries

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tuckstar

Tuckstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:29 AM

Hi guys. Hoping someone might be able to supply me with some info about my recently acquired Clavè eyepieces. I have looked through several threads and gleamed a good amount of info which has probably caused more confusion than clarity.

my set includes a 25, 16, 10, 6 and 4mm focal lengths.

https://flic.kr/p/K5HZAF

so looks simple on the surface, but I'm not sure of which generations I have. The 10mm is side marked and so dates from 1982. This shouldn't have a filter thread but does! The stamp/print on the top of the eyepiece matches the top of the 16mm so I am thinking that that is also from a similar age. The 6 and 4mm seems to have slightly brighter clearer stamp on the top and I am assuming they are later. The 25 mm stamp looks different again and imo looks older. Don't know if there is a difference in this detail between generations?

I have come across a picture of the eyepieces dated 1990, but apparently the original owner had these during the 80s. Couldn't be earlier due to the 10mm being 82. I suspect the 25, 16 and def the 10 are 2nd gen, but the 6 and 4 could be gen 3 or early kinoptic, but I think the pre 90s kinoptic had a gilded band which mine doesn't. 

so they all have blue/purple coatings and all have filter threads 

(https://flic.kr/p/23YJ4Xm) which would suggest kinoptic but again, if someone has changed the barrel on the 10, have they changed the rest? Will probably never know but this seems like the best place to ask.

Any help greatfully received, thanks in advance,

Andy

Edited by Tuckstar, 03 February 2018 - 07:28 AM.

#2 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:17 PM

Try looking thru these threads...Bill Rose is the guru on these eyepieces, and most others.

https://www.cloudyni...eces/?p=2184489

https://www.cloudyni...eces/?p=1530158

Edited by BillP, 03 February 2018 - 02:18 PM.

#3 Tuckstar

Tuckstar

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for that. I have read through them previously and ended up with more questions than answerswink.gif

Edited by Tuckstar, 03 February 2018 - 05:32 PM.

#4 lylver

lylver

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: near Grenoble

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:22 PM

Those are old 27mm diameter.

BunchOfClaves_20180109.jpg

Parra Mantois glass  fabrication ended before 1963.

I repaired and old 6mm, it was Canada Balsam glued -> become light yellow/orange when old (oxydation ?)

http://atom.lylver.o...0923_174031.jpg

You should look at the coating : this is a guess.

- no coating : early rare version before J.Texereau validation (around 1950)

- light blue : Parra-Mantois glass + first generation coating, gave best color fidelity but a bit less transmission

- deep blue : second generation coating, glass is Parra-Mantois then Schott, the image may have a yellow touch due to centered spectrum multi-coating

- violet/pink coating : Schott glass , enhanced coating (quite same glass but possibly less homogoneous, hard "eco" time for Schott)

Make a guess for mine flowerred.gif

If you are confident, you can try to open the cell. My oldest (6mm) has each doublet encased in brass disk flat on each side to ensure perfect alignement.

• Scott99 and Paul Morow like this

#5 BillP

BillP

Hubble

• Loc: Spotsylvania, VA

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:21 PM

Really like the way you mounted those waytogo.gif

#6 lylver

lylver

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: near Grenoble

Posted 04 February 2018 - 04:08 AM

Those adapter are 30mm microscopy barrel to classic 1"1/4 provided by MADRID SKY

I put cardboard and adhesive tape to center them and adjust tilt while I am asking for a 27 to 30mm tube with a V mark for definitive adaptation (a screw is pushing the V to lock all tubes).

I think I will space a bit the upper cell for my eye comfort.

As Tuckstar, I am still searching some informations about those pieces of exquisite craftmanship. As far as I know there was a time of no compromise in each step of their making.

Using them is surprising. Dismounting them to see how they were made (to clean inside was first motivation) : I was surprised too.

I have to say that, I got two 6mm that came into my hands. The older version, even used, dirty, mushroom dotted is far more robust.

After killing and removing the mushrooms, cleaning : reassembling the EP was a kid game.

Laser alignement control was top at the first try.

My oldest 6mm was built for long use, including cleaning cycle.

#7 Scott99

Scott99

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: New England

Posted 04 February 2018 - 12:13 PM

so looks simple on the surface, but I'm not sure of which generations I have. 

the black filter inserts would appear to date these as late-period Kinoptic, late 80's-90's.   But there are no firm boundaries, the 4mm and 6mm bodies look like later Kinoptic ones, but the 25, 16, and 10 look earlier.  With Claves, parts and optics from different timeframes were often combined, so you never really know.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics