•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explain why We will never be able to see the Tesla in space?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

Nice acquisition Rogelio!waytogo.gif

Thanks for sharing it!

#27 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:30 PM

Very nice but um, everybody know the Tesla is red so…

wink.gif

#28 jallbery

jallbery

Vanguard

• Loc: Southeast Michigan

Posted 11 February 2018 - 03:58 PM

Who is "they" ?

The roadster is still visible from earthbound telescopes, currently at 16th magnitude.

It's orbital period is about 558 days.

Approx every 3 years, the Roadster's orbit and the Earth's orbit will align, making it periodically easily visible in a telescope.

Yes, just like we get a relatively favorable apparition of Mars every couple years, the Tesla will be periodically closer to us.   But just because its orbit intersects Earth's does not mean that we will get really close every year.   Just like Mars oppositions vary, so will Tesla oppositions, only to a much wider degree I would think.   Unless I see data to the contrary, I wouldn't assume that the Tesla will every again be as close to me as it right now.   At two magnitudes dimmer than Pluto (as of a couple days ago) and growing continually dimmer, it's not visible in MY telescopes.   

You can detect things below the resolution limit, we do that all the time with stars.

FWIW,

The talk of resolving resolution only immediately applies if you are trying to see it transit the Moon or Sun in shadow. (Why it's nearly impossible to see satellites other than ISS, Tiangong 1, and a few very close and really big others to transit across in shadow in front of Moon or Sun).....

When it comes to objects reflecting sunlight,

please note this point as it could save your life:

A search plane miles up can spot a credit card reflecting sunlight................

google "signaling mirror" if you don't believe me.

As "mvas" said, we aren't quite sure who "they" are, and I might add that we aren't (or at least I am not) quite sure what "they" mean when they say we will never be able to "see" the Tesla again.

My interpretation of "see" in the OP's question was "visually recognize."   Just like the search plane pilot might be able to spot reflected light even if he/she can't "see" the person holding the reflector, the fact that we can detect the Tesla (and its booster) in a large Earth-based telescope seems to fall a bit short of "seeing" the actual car.   At least that's how I interpreted the OP's post.   So if we want "see" to mean more than "detect as a point source if we know exactly where to look," I would argue that the practical limits of telescope resolution DO come into play here.

So does anyone here know of accurate data for the next 20-or-so  Roadster oppositions?   In the next half century will we ever get closer to the Tesla than we are as of right now?

#29 RBA

RBA

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 11 February 2018 - 06:31 PM

Very nice but um, everybody know the Tesla is red so…

wink.gif

Darn it! I knew someone would notice!!! lol.gif

• B l a k S t a r likes this

#30 jallbery

jallbery

Vanguard

• Loc: Southeast Michigan

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:07 PM

To at least partially answer my own question...

In the next half century will we ever get closer to the Tesla than we are as of right now?

Per astronomer Jonathan McDowell of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics:

the Roadster will not return anywhere near Earth by 2030; closest it gets after this month is Mar 2021 at a distant 45 million km

To put that in perspective, that's almost 30X its current distance (as of Feb 11, 2018) .   

#31 Nightow1

Nightow1

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Humboldt, Ne

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:37 PM

Well I'll be dead by then

#32 mbrio76

mbrio76

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Varese Area (Italy)

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:22 AM

You can generate ephemeris for SpaceX Tesla using the NASA HORIZONS Web-Interface:

https://ssd.jpl.nasa...ns.cgi?s_body=1

"Lookup the specified body" --> enter "spacex" wink.gif

#33 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:03 PM

Latest update of SkySafari includes the Tesla Roadster as well as a searchable object, with full info, orbit etc...

#34 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:09 PM

In Skysafari Starman search is null. Tesla search is the car and a couple of moon results. The orbit function works but disappointingly shows a dummy satellite. Should add a passenger seat ride along function with variable views and access to glove box. I'd pay extra for that added. 

#35 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Administrators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:24 PM

If you go in orbit mode, there is a red Tesla ;)

#36 B l a k S t a r

B l a k S t a r

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:09 PM

If you go in orbit mode, there is a red Tesla wink.gif

Not for me SS5Pro just updated data. No roadster visible, just a generic satellite. Boo. 

#37 moshen

moshen

Apollo

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 17 February 2018 - 05:54 PM

This looks to be the orbit of when the Tesla was still in Earth orbit (Orbit every 165 minutes.) - which it's not doing now. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics