•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Where to move out west for Dark Skies?

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#201 jgardner

jgardner

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: The Commonwealth of Virginia

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:54 PM

Since Alpine, TX, was mentioned, I'll throw in Ft. Davis, TX, if it hasn't been mentioned already.  Not so far away, very dark skies and very laid back.  Nearest town to the Texas Star Party.

• paul likes this

#202 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:52 AM

Southwest New Mexico has some great viewing sites, like the Cosmic Campground in Catron County.  But it's pretty desolate otherwise. ….

And there ya go -- "desolate"

George's Rule: Lights = People, so if you want to escape LP you need to be away from people -- and there's usually a reason that an area has low population! (I'm personally not very fond of snakes, scorpions, no rain, and 110 degree heat.)

I knew a husband/wife couple who lived in NY City in a two bedroom apartment - one room for them, one for their collection of several Astro Physics refractors and mounts! Their dream was a retirement home in rural New Mexico - and they had it under construction when the wife-half was diagnosed with uterine cancer - she lasted about another 18 months. A few years ago I ran into the husband at NEAIC and he told me that he had moved to New Mexico and that the 'astronomy' was great, but it could get rather lonely 'way out there'. It's a lifestyle that appeals to some, but not others.

Did I mention 'scorpions'?  wink.gif 

• Phil Cowell and Procyon like this

#203 Phil Cowell

Phil Cowell

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern Tier NY

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:20 AM

Costa Rica will let your money go far. On a US pension you can live very well.

• George N and Procyon like this

#204 Kendahl

Kendahl

Apollo

• Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:18 PM

he had moved to New Mexico and that the 'astronomy' was great, but it could get rather lonely 'way out there'.

It depends on what is meant by "way out there". Pie Town, 85 miles west of Socorro, is far different from New Mexico Astronomy Village, between Silver City and Deming.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics