•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Introduction and Things to do whilst reflector is apart

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 derku

derku

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 February 2018 - 01:17 AM

Hi all,

Introductory post;

I am from Sydney CBD, Australia and have a recently purchased a used Skywatcher 150/750 reflector and EQ3 mount.  Its a great honour to be apart of this forum and my interest in general star observation and astrophotography has led me to this forum.  After viewing the recent lunar events, the positive experience led me to invest a little more into this hobby.

So I have taken every piece, screw, shim, washer etc of the telescope and mount apart to better understand its working, and to maintain the components. 

Ive broken down the task whilst it is apart to:

1.) clean the primary mirror - I have demineralised water handy and will rinse it with soft detergent and going off various youtube vids.

2.) add internal baffles inside the OTA - Ive laser cut the internal rings out of 3mm mdf according to https://stellafane.o...b/newt-web.html

3.) flocking the internals - I will do the traditional method with flock and glue... yep, its going to be a challenge!

4.) greasing the worm gears and associated surfaces of the eq3 mount - seems relatively straight forward.

The gear/tools I have invested in or acquired:

- laser collimator (generic)

- celestron 8-24mm zoom

- Celestron 4mm, 10mm and 20mm EP and 3x barlow... exact types unknown but seem entry level.

- Superlube

I will add some photos for context at the next convenient opportunity.

The real question is; What else can I do to capitalise on whilst the telescope is all apart? especially the tube.  

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

derku

#2 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:56 AM

Do you have a pair of binoculars? If so, go out at night with them and enjoy! If not, see if you can borrow a pair, you'll be surprised how much you can see with them.

I brought my 11 x 80's to Australia in November 1988 when my then Wife won a 2.5 week trip which included return airfair and Hotel. The trip was worth quitting a job, after 4 years I was starting to hate it anyways.

The 11 x 80's were fun to do observing from the rooftop of our hotel.

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#3 JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Panama City, FL

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:20 AM

Sounds like you've got things pretty well in hand. When applying flocking make sure everything shiny is covered up. I used some flat black model paint or at least black marker on all the exposed nuts and screw heads and mirror edges/bevels. If you have leftover flocking paper you might also consider making yourself some sort of "dew shield" or tube extension to help keep stray light from neighborhood lights off of the spider/secondary mirror.

If the focuser has some lateral play in it you can also take some little strips of flock paper and shim up the sides. My Polaris 130 (Similar to the Skywatcher 130p, your scope's little brother) had a sort of plastic strip on the top of the focuser tube (I'll call that the 12:00 position) for supporting the drawtube so I added strips of flocking at the 4:00 and 8:00 positions (and applied some lithium grease to them) and that tightened things up nicely.

You've got a very good, versatile scope. I think you'll really enjoy it.

• kfiscus likes this

#4 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Vanguard

• Loc: Florida

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:02 AM

Create an itinerary of objects to view and plan it out so that if conditions are good, you know how to capitalize on what/where/when and get out under the stars.

Very best,

#5 emflocater

emflocater

Viking 1

• Loc: Clarkson, N.Y.

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

You can clean the bathtub and vacuum the living room. I am sure the wife would appreciate it.

Cheers

Don

• mikefulb, nirvanix, Keith Rivich and 1 other like this

#6 Starkid2u

Starkid2u

Viking 1

• Loc: East Syracuse, NY

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:25 PM

You can clean the bathtub and vacuum the living room. I am sure the wife would appreciate it.

Cheers

Don

LOLOL! Now THAT was funny!

#7 Nick K.

Nick K.

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:25 PM

How about the finder scope and mount.  I don't think you mentioned if it has the original or a change out.  Since you are doing all that work you may want to consider that part of the equipment.  Good luck, especially with coating the internals with flock.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics