•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Samsung Tablet or Something Else?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:33 PM

I've never owned a tablet before.  (Yes, I got my first cell phone in 2007... laugh it up)

I'm thinking about getting a tablet for travel for my business.  I recently traveled with my full laptop and man what a PIA for carry-on etc... especially considering that I didnt really need all that I7 processing and 32GB ram while I was on the road. 

I'd like something small so I'm thinking about 10" Galaxy Book with windows 10.  It's got an M3 with 4GB ram and 128GB SSD.  I'm *mostly* going to use this for email, movies, Microsoft Office Suite, etc... which I'm sure will run fine... but I'm also interested in running PS CC and Lightroom for some basic editing.  (Nothing like PI on this machine).   I would also be nice to use this for remote access to my imaging rigs which run on mini mount located PC's for when I image remotely.  (So running Teamviewer and Logmein)

Anyone using a tablet like this for this kind of things? Are there better 10" windows tablets?  I cant seem to find ANY with 8GB of ram and an I7. 

#2 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:55 PM

Hmm...you didn't find the Microsoft Surface 3/4? Those are amazing devices, and you can definitely get an i7 if you are willing to spend enough.

https://www.microsof...-pro/tech-specs

Edited by Jon Rista, 09 February 2018 - 09:58 PM.

#3 mikefulb

mikefulb

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:01 PM

I'd read up on the Surface before buying - I think there is a reason Consumer Reports recommended AGAINST buying them.

https://www.consumer...nsumer-reports/

• Salty_snack likes this

#4 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:19 PM

I'm really looking for a ~10in screen. The 12in or larger have more higher end spec choices, but it's just larger than I want.

#5 Jon Rista

Jon Rista

ISS

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:58 PM

If you are set on the 10", then yeah, the options are more limited. Not as much room to pack in the necessary power supply and such to handle an i7.

#6 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:30 AM

I guess I'm not set on 10".

I would like to run PS and never know, maybe PI despite my OP. I think that will necessitate more than an m3 and 4gb or ram.

I'm keen on the Samsung as I have a galaxy phone and it's well built Nd had no problems in over 2 years with it.

I guess maybe a 12" with i5 and 8gb of ram might be the ticket. I definitely want Windows 10.

Any other serious contenders to the samsung?

#7 dciobota

dciobota

Apollo

• Loc: Omaha, Nebrrrraska

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

Chris, here's a nutty idea.  Why not get a little NUC pc like this one:

https://www.amazon.c...W&pd_rd_w=7XD7X

And pair it with a touch screen display like this one:

https://www.amazon.c... screen display

This way you can use the NUC by itself to drive your rig,, and only use the touch screen when your're on a plane or in a car or something like that.  You can probably mount the pc on the back of the monitor.

Yes, it's not as elegant as the Samsung, but more powerful I think, for about the same price.

Like I said, a nutty idea.

Ok, on second thought, you'll also need a power supply.  Never mind.

Edited by dciobota, 10 February 2018 - 01:04 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics