•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon CR2 images converted to Gray when formated to .fit or .xisf in Pixinsight

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bcjolly

bcjolly

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Carolina, USA

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:41 PM

Somewhere, I've missed checking a box or something.  When I convert my Canon CR2 files to .fit or .xisf format, the resulting images are converted from color to gray.  Cannot figure where I've made a mistake.

#2 gcardona

gcardona

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

CR2 files are not de-bayered, they are the raw data. Here's some information on Bayer Matrices. What this means is your post-processing program will have to do the de-bayering (after calibration) to convert to a color image.

• darkstar3d likes this

#3 AtmosFearIC

AtmosFearIC

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:27 PM

If "Pure Raw" is selected it'll open DSLR files as black and white. If you check "deBayer RGB" it'll debayer the images as they're opened up.

Attached Thumbnails

• Upload.jpg

• RedLionNJ likes this

#4 bcjolly

bcjolly

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Carolina, USA

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:36 PM

A hearty thank-you to both fellows who answered my post.  I think I've figured out a part of my problem.  Last astrophotography I did was with a Canon Digital Rebel 350dx and a Canon 20Da.  I purchased a Canon 60Da a couple of weeks ago and Canon changed the download file format.  I cannot process the CR2 files the way I did the older camera files.  Pixinsight is so exhaustive in its treatment and tools, I have a hard time keeping up with them and what each does.  I almost think Pixinsight was more for the CCD crowd than the DSLR bunch.  Anyway, I'll keep trying and sooner or later I'll get the "hang" of it. 

I will present you with an image of what I've been doing.  It is of M42 and the center is all blown out but very little processing has been done to the photograph.  No darks, no dark/flats, no flat frames.  Just the 5 minute subs.  Thank you guys again for being willing to help. 

Sincerely,

Barry C Jolly

Orion-Nebula-300-seconds-Combine-for-Web.gif

• Starman27 likes this

#5 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 11 February 2018 - 02:34 AM

Nice Result...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics