•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Clip-In LP Filter for Canon 6D

astrophotography LP equipment
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:47 PM

I am looking for a good clip-in light pollution filter for my full frame Canon 6D.  I will be imaging from a 'Green' zone.  Thx

#2 bmhjr

bmhjr

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:32 PM

I don't have one, but LPS-D1-EOSF is an option. I use a similar style for Ha isolation in dark skies with a modified camera. HEUIBII-EOSF

#3 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 10 February 2018 - 02:37 AM

I am looking for a good clip-in light pollution filter for my full frame Canon 6D.

Here... is an option. Regards

#4 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:26 AM

I tried the clip ins for the 6D and never used them. They clip the bottom of the sensor quite a bit and I did not like that. I have three of them and they just sit in a drawer.

#5 bmhjr

bmhjr

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:43 AM

I tried the clip ins for the 6D and never used them. They clip the bottom of the sensor quite a bit and I did not like that. I have three of them and they just sit in a drawer.

Interesting.  Fortunately, the filter I use from Hutech works perfectly.  I never remove it.

#6 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:05 AM

What filters did you try?

#7 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:06 AM

Interesting.  Fortunately, the filter I use from Hutech works perfectly.  I never remove it.

Which filter are you using?

#8 bmhjr

bmhjr

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:18 PM

Which filter are you using?

I use the HEUIBII-EOSF.  It is best with modified cameras at dark sites.  The filter properties are discussed here:

http://www.sciencece...uib-2/index.htm

It comes in the full frame 6D version the same as the  LPS-D1-EOSF light pollution filter. Here are the installation instructions:

http://www.sciencece.../idas/EOSF1.pdf

Bill

Edited by bmhjr, 10 February 2018 - 12:21 PM.

#9 cfosterstars

cfosterstars

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

The filters I tried are from Astronomik,: UV-IR-Block L-2, 12 nm Ha CCD EOS XL Clip-ins. I actually posted the results a long time ago on CN.

https://www.cloudyni...s-mirror-block/

I spent so much time fixing vignetting for my C6D on the OTA and then once I did the full spectrum modification, I was after a OWB filter for regular photo use. I ordered it and it cut off the bottom of the sensor field. I thought that I had done something wrong. I had already ordered the other two. They showed the same issue. I was ****. All the work for at full frame sensor and the clip in was worse for vignetting than my OTA was to start with. I contacted Astonomiks and they basically said, well at least you still get a good part of the sensor. Basically they knew about it and did not put anything about the issue on the web site. I just went back to 2" filters on the nose piece at that point and have not used these filters since. If you dont mind have the bottom of the sensor obscured, and crop it off, then this do work, but than just get an ASP-C camera. 

• Jim Waters likes this

#10 bmhjr

bmhjr

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:56 PM

The filters I tried are from Astronomik,: UV-IR-Block L-2, 12 nm Ha CCD EOS XL Clip-ins. I actually posted the results a long time ago on CN.

https://www.cloudyni...s-mirror-block/

I spent so much time fixing vignetting for my C6D on the OTA and then once I did the full spectrum modification, I was after a OWB filter for regular photo use. I ordered it and it cut off the bottom of the sensor field. I thought that I had done something wrong. I had already ordered the other two. They showed the same issue. I was ****. All the work for at full frame sensor and the clip in was worse for vignetting than my OTA was to start with. I contacted Astonomiks and they basically said, well at least you still get a good part of the sensor. Basically they knew about it and did not put anything about the issue on the web site. I just went back to 2" filters on the nose piece at that point and have not used these filters since. If you dont mind have the bottom of the sensor obscured, and crop it off, then this do work, but than just get an ASP-C camera. 

That's too bad.  Crazy that they would sell something knowing it has inherent design flaws.

#11 calypsob

calypsob

Skylab

• Loc: Roanoke, Virginia

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:53 PM

Astronomik filters work fine on a full frame, but if you do not take good flats, your data is ruined.  You can completely eliminate the vignetting.  

In a green zone, meaning mag 20.8-21.0 you are hurting your data to use any kind of rejection filter. A simple uv/ir cut on a modded body is all you really need.   

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, LP, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics