•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Buying a Zhumell Z10 for 150

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 tag1260

tag1260

Vanguard

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:41 AM

No silver part is missing. That one takes springs stretched from the two studs on either side to create your friction on the bearings.  Should be able to find a set pretty easily. Put a shout out on the classifieds and you'll probably find some.

• Astrogamer likes this

#27 Astrogamer

Astrogamer

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:25 PM

It came with a spring and two carabiners, is that it? How necessary is that? It doesn't feel necessary. I kinda figured there was more than one version of the z10.

#28 tag1260

tag1260

Vanguard

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:29 PM

A lot of people only use one. It depends on what you feel is necessary. I never used them at all when I had one but some use one, some use two. Helps with the heavier eyepieces and such.

#29 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:07 AM

It sounds like you got the early version that was a copy of Orion's CorrecTension spring system used with their XT dobs.  It works fine.  As tag1260 mentioned, many people use their scopes with only one spring attached as the springs are quite strong.

The Zhumell line was changed to the adjustable altitude bearings that used internal friction bearings.  The first version of the adjustable bearings were all aluminum.  These tension knobs were later changed to the black plastic knobs that are still sold today.  (I've owned all 3 versions.)

• SteveG likes this

#30 lign

lign

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:58 PM

That's a nice scope and you got it for a steal! You could easily sell the finder scope and focuser for more than you paid for the whole thing! I have the 12" version of your scope. The fan runs on 8 double A batteries, and you can get one on ebay for under 5 bucks. You can get one with or without a switch. If the connector doesn't fit, just pick up a set on ebay for a dollar or two and put them on your fan and the battery holder.

Do an ebay search for "8 AA battery holder" and try to find one with long enough wires.

For example: https://www.ebay.com...ucAAOSw3H1Z3em~

The one for my Zhumell looks like this but it has longer wires and the connector: https://www.ebay.com...nAAAOSwjodZ63BA

Enjoy!!

#31 MarkVIIIMarc

MarkVIIIMarc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:33 AM

Congrats on the Z10 find. I love mine.

#32 konrad

konrad

Viking 1

• Loc: South Africa Johannesburg

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:55 AM

Nice scope for a great price enjoy 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics