•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher 50mm ED EvoGuide available

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:14 AM

It's out, the new Skywatcher 50mm ED.

https://www.firstlig...guidescope.html

Price around 170€.

Glass: FPL-53. Non-rotating 1.25" and T2 helical focuser. Not clear if there is enough backfocus for a diagonal / amici prism.

• Astrojensen and Pug like this

#2 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:30 AM

In the sister forum, the vendor FLO has taken some measures.

With the rear section removed, a regular 1.25" inch diagonal or erecting diagonal will fit and achieve focus.

The tube diameter is 56mm, the widest diameter (green focus grip and dew-shield) is 60mm. So, also a binoscope is possible.

Of course, with the rear section included a guide camera will achieve focus.

Remarkable design!

• Astrojensen and Pug like this

#3 einarin

einarin

Vanguard

Posted 12 February 2018 - 08:52 AM

Luckily the price is not too bad.

But the question comes to my mind how important is to have ED finder guider scope.

Well, I guess someone soon tries how good images it delivers in 'normal' imaging.

#4 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:23 PM

The ED objective reduces chromatic aberrations giving tighter star images for guiding. It can also be used for live video imaging to provide true color images and then of course for anyone wanting to do a little wide field work as well. 

I am testing it with diagonal but haven't had much luck with it and its limited in what eyepiece combos can be used. 

• Jason B and wcoastsands like this

#5 mAnKiNd

mAnKiNd

Mariner 2

• Loc: NY

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:59 AM

Lovely product, looks very promising and thanks for sharing, only saw it last night.

1 question though and please forgive me if I'm wrong about this.

This looks awful similar to my Esprit80 included finderscope, which the Evoguide looks like a souped up version of. Now it's probably the case that the Esprit80 included finderscope doesn't have FPL53 ED glass, but I do get superb star shapes when I'm guiding with it, more so than with any other finderscope I've ever used. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Obviously I'm hoping that someone will tell me they have the same glass, but that's probably just wishful thinking on my part!

Anyway, the Evoguide looks like a great little product smile.gif

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• FB_IMG_1518954024569.jpg
  • skywatcher-evoguide-50ed-guidescope-1000.jpg

Edited by mAnKiNd, 18 February 2018 - 07:43 AM.

• Pug likes this

#6 einarin

einarin

Vanguard

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:36 AM

First time for me I see ED element in finderscope.

#7 mAnKiNd

mAnKiNd

Mariner 2

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:50 AM

To me I'd say it's more like a mini-telescope that can be used as a finderscope due to it's low weight and small size. I would definitely want to try this little scope out for some super-wide-field narrowband or high-contrast (with CLS-CCS or UHC) OSC with a high-resolution camera such as the 183 series, or the smaller 178 series if there is a lot of field curvature.

As for a finderscope, my Esprit included finderscope performs so well, that I don't know if the Evoguide would be a worthwhile upgrade for me, if it's just for guiding.

I also know that skywatcher only sells the "other" types of more standard finderscopes as standalones and doesn't sell the same finderscope that's included with the Esprit as a standalone. It only comes when you buy an Esprit and it sure looks very very similar to the Evoguide, at least the OTA does.

Cheers

Edited by mAnKiNd, 18 February 2018 - 08:08 AM.

#8 HARRISON SCOPES

HARRISON SCOPES

Vendor-Harrison Telescopes

• Vendors
  • Loc: The Garden of England

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:01 AM

We sold out quickly, lovely product and genuinely versatile. We looked through one daytime and a nice vivid high contrast view.

#9 mAnKiNd

mAnKiNd

Mariner 2

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:06 AM

We sold out quickly, lovely product and genuinely versatile. We looked through one daytime and a nice vivid high contrast view.

Nice! Good for you :) How flat would you say the field was?

#10 HARRISON SCOPES

HARRISON SCOPES

Vendor-Harrison Telescopes

• Vendors
  • Loc: The Garden of England

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:12 AM

To be honest it may have not been perfect but was not an issue with a 25mm eyepiece, I did not test on a wall just general views but nice.
  • mAnKiNd and Pug like this

#11 mAnKiNd

mAnKiNd

Mariner 2

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:13 AM

To be honest it may have not been perfect but was not an issue with a 25mm eyepiece, I did not test on a wall just general views but nice.

Thank you :)

#12 Jason B

Jason B

Proud father of 5!!

• Loc: Mid-Michigan

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:07 AM

The ED objective reduces chromatic aberrations giving tighter star images for guiding. It can also be used for live video imaging to provide true color images and then of course for anyone wanting to do a little wide field work as well. 

I am testing it with diagonal but haven't had much luck with it and its limited in what eyepiece combos can be used. 

Hey Kevin, any idea when it will be available in the US?

#13 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:55 AM

We should have them at NEAF in April. We usually wait to release new products there.

#14 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

None of the finders are ED objectives, they are simple achromatic objectives. The Evoguide ED50 is the only findersized apo we have now.

Edited by skyward_eyes, 18 February 2018 - 11:54 AM.

• mAnKiNd and Pug like this

#15 mAnKiNd

mAnKiNd

Mariner 2

Posted 18 February 2018 - 12:10 PM

None of the finders are ED objectives, they are simple achromatic objectives. The Evoguide ED50 is the only findersized apo we have now.

Thank you for that clarification :)

#16 mAnKiNd

mAnKiNd

Mariner 2

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:01 PM

Any other comments about field flatness? Obviously this is not an imaging scope with a flattener, but was wondering about how bad the field curvature would be, to see what kind of sensor size would be suitable for it? 

I know some people might baugh at me for saying this, but i'd really like to try this scope out for some super-wide-field imaging..i like experiments and this little guy looks like a great little experiment smile.gif

Edited by mAnKiNd, 20 February 2018 - 01:02 PM.

• Tele likes this

#17 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Cosmos

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:54 PM

How flat would you say the field was?

Not very. Focal length is 242mm. Putting in a flattener might raise the price a shilling or two more.

• mAnKiNd likes this

#18 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

Any other comments about field flatness? Obviously this is not an imaging scope with a flattener, but was wondering about how bad the field curvature would be, to see what kind of sensor size would be suitable for it? 

I know some people might baugh at me for saying this, but i'd really like to try this scope out for some super-wide-field imaging..i like experiments and this little guy looks like a great little experiment smile.gif

It's a doublet refractor with 242mm focal length. The field curvature is going to have a radius of about 35% of the focal length, around 85mm. This means that at the edge of a field radius of 10mm (20mm field diameter), the defocus is about 0.6mm. At the edge of a 15mm radius, it's 1.3mm. 

With moderate-size sensors, it definitely needs a flattener. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• Tele, mAnKiNd and Pug like this

#19 mAnKiNd

mAnKiNd

Mariner 2

Posted 20 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

Thanks guys, food for thought :)

#20 mAnKiNd

mAnKiNd

Mariner 2

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:29 PM

...looking at flatteners that "might" work..this one came to mind:

https://www.altairas...-flattener.html

Any thoughts?

I know I know, this is a guidescope, why am I making all this fuss about imaging with it and flatteners etc! :)

Cheers

#21 emilslomi

emilslomi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alps

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:30 AM

Hi Kevin

Some German vendors list a backfocus of 60 mm when the extension tube is removed. Would you please confirm that it is the maximum.

Cheers, Emil

#22 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:08 AM

I will have to check on this with the engineers.

#23 mAnKiNd

mAnKiNd

Mariner 2

Posted 22 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

Hi Kevin

Some German vendors list a backfocus of 60 mm when the extension tube is removed. Would you please confirm that it is the maximum.

Cheers, Emil

Hi Emil, indeed some German vendors state that the 40mm extension tube can be removed giving you 60mm backfocus.

Here is a picture I found from a website that sells it and portrays it without the 40mm spacer:

https://www.tavcso-m...r-evoguide-50ed

..whereas all other pictures of the Evoguide I've seen have the 40mm spacer in place.

Hope this helps

Minos

#24 Riccardo_italy

Riccardo_italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:58 AM

A prism diagonal like this:

https://www.teleskop...--adaption.html

Requires only 40mm of backfocus and with a T2 connection could - in theory - use also a 28mm/68°.

• Astrojensen and mAnKiNd like this

#25 emilslomi

emilslomi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alps

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:19 PM

The Baader prism builds even shorter from T2 to T2, but with the eyepiece clamp it goes up to a little over 60. FLO also stepped a little back from their claim that a diagonal can be used. We'll have to wait and see.

Cheers, Emil

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics