•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Jupiter! Have questions please

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 PowerM3

PowerM3

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:17 AM

Hi, last night I had a chance to try out my new  ZWO ASI224MC with my c11. Seeing was unfortunate absolutely horrid but it gave me a chance to mess around with the camera and not miss out on some good observing. I know that my first image is not going to win any awards(unless its the award for the worst first image ever. LOL) but given the conditions and the fact that I do not know how to use the software at all I'm not surprised that I did not get better results. I just used the default settings in both  Fire Capture and  AutoSttakert for the avi/image and then did a bit of editing in Photoshop.

Anyhow I have two questions. I was using Fire Capture on my Surface Pro 4 and the interface is a very scale because of the small hi-res screen. Is there any way to fix this? Also for some reason RegiStax would not open my AVI files. I had to use  AutoSttakert. Any reason why it did not work for me? I really appreciate your help and if you have any recommended reading/guides for a total noob I would appreciate it as well. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• Jup_055155_g4_ap71.jpg
  • 20180212_081432.jpg

• troyt, eros312, mark77 and 3 others like this

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Vanguard

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:22 PM

It was a blessing that registax wouldnt open your files. Autostakkert is superior in every way for stacking, though registax is still useful for its wavelets functions, when the time comes to process your stacked image.

Congrats on your first image!

• RedLionNJ, Auburn80 and wavydavy like this

#3 Moonman5

Moonman5

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Buffalo NY

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:31 PM

On your laptop click on the Window Ikon on the lower left ( where you shut it down ) and click on the gear ( settings ). Next click on System, then Display.

Here you can change the font size.  I use 175% and have the resolution set to 2048x1152. When you open Firecapture you may have to put your curser 

on the bottom to drag it down to fill the screen. At least that is what I do because I had the same issue. 

Also I use .SER files not .AVI and use Autostakkert so I can't help with that .  There is a learning curve to all this and don't forget to check the High Speed in the MORE settings  in Firecapture in the 

Control panel. I've been imaging almost two years and sometimes forget to check it.

Good luck and good seeing,

---Gene

#4 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

Congratulations on your first image. Couple comments to make #2 ten times better (if seeing permits):

1. Add a barlow - the image you got was tiny

2. Use a ROI (Region of Interest) around the planet. This will increase your frame rate and decrease stacking time

3. If you're having trouble keeping the planet in the FOV, enable autoguiding - connect the ASI224MC to the ST4 port on your mount and tell FC to use it

4. Make sure you're recording in RAW format (not color)

5. Try setting WRed to something around 52 and WBlue to 95 for better colors

6. Might want to add an ADC, tune it in color mode, then capture in RAW (preferably SER)

7. Processing flow could be stack (AutoStakkert), followed by wavelets and color adjustment (Registax)

8. As you advance, you'll find yourself hankering for a hands-off Crayford-style focuser, too

9. Make sure you're using an IR-cut filter with the ASI224MC - it's sensitive enough in IR it can blow out visual wavelength data

10. Spend a lot of time waiting for good seeing. Once you've experienced it, you'll be ruined for the rest of your days.

• George Bailey, ToxMan, phileefan and 3 others like this

#5 aeroman4907

aeroman4907

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castle Rock, Colorado

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:02 PM

Don't get discouraged, except for the fact you don't get the worst first picture of Jupiter award.  I'll take those honors for now with this quick try at Jupiter when I was really trying to get some of my first shots of the moon last week.  EdgeHD 8" with a QHY183C at prime focus.  No time for ADC or the barlow, and seeing was also very poor.  Even worse was the out of focus image.  Your focus was much better at the very least.  Keep reading the posts on this forum and you'll do well.

CN First Jupiter.jpg

#6 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:12 PM

3212678F-BC95-47A9-B8E8-AA69B203D0B8.jpeg Stop press.

My first Jupiter has to be the worst ever. There’s a dust mote. A friend asked if it was the Great Red Spot. 

I said, eh, yeah! “WOW!!!” was the response. Here it is, please sit down if possible, it’s jaw dropping.

• happylimpet, Lacaille and aeroman4907 like this

#7 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Surveyor 1

• Loc: sebastian fl

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:27 PM

IS IT JUPITER OR A PITA lol.gif ****. my first images came from a cheesy Celestron 80mm ed. I shouldn't rely cal it cheesy its a nice scope to bad it didn't come with a decent crayfish focuser. oh dang spell checking. now im imaging with a 16 f7 and an asi 224 and 290 wow what a vast difference . my first lunar image i was over joyed with and it was with a point and click cam held upto an eyepiece in the 80mm ed. we all start some where. theirs a cave somewhere in Australia with a cave art painting of Jupiter  i saw it. thats kokathaman's first Jupiter image from when he was a kidshocked.gif lol.gif . oops now im never going to get advise from him again. bangbang.gif

Your image isnt realy that bad at all . do you have a drop box so you can put a link to the tif ? i bet i could sharpen that baby up a bit.

as rl said use a barlow, go to a smaller roi. for now dont worry about an adc unless you want to learn so much so fast itl shock your brain. good seeing is king. also set shutter to 10 or less and turn up gain to get max frames there are some threads here with fc data sheets to see what settings others have used. miost impotent of all dont move to florida you cant image here the weather and wind are un permitting 

Edited by moonwatching ferret, 12 February 2018 - 05:28 PM.

• RedLionNJ and kevinbreen like this

#8 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:31 PM

this cracks me up has daryl written allover it bangbang.gif

#9 phileefan

phileefan

Ranger 4

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:40 PM

PowerM3,

Like others have already stated, your image you have here is not bad at all. RedLionNJ has given you some really good pointers. Thanks for sharing, clear skies........ smile.gif

#10 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:42 PM

Ha ha Mr Ferret!
PowerM3, RedLionNJ’s tip #10 is good advice. Me, I’m still waiting, as the rain lashes the windows here. It’ll happen, it has to. For now though, we can only dream and more importantly learn.

#11 troyt

troyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:04 PM

Good image

Your observatory is the same as mine - Open Air. lol.gif

#12 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:07 PM

its looking good for me right now .Warm humid a bit breezy but its only a slight breeze . I wood like to plug in my asi 224 and barlow and check colimation. only issue I have it the back side or boring side of jove will be visible in the am but i noticed last time i stayed up til dawn that jove was pretty high up

#13 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:08 PM

maby i coud hang a pita on the wall and image it. maby ill paint a pita to look like jupiter and hang it on the tellephone pole down the blocjk and ask jupiter or a pita. ... what add was that from? i furget

#14 schu

schu

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nebraska

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:07 AM

Hahaha enjoying this thread.  Nothing better to do - cold, wind, and snowstorms here for weeks now.

#15 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:38 AM

its kinda cool here about 70

#16 pastorgalactico

pastorgalactico

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SPAIN

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

Hello;

Do not despair with planetary photography, because this is asin.
You have to find the magical night.

#17 PowerM3

PowerM3

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:45 PM

Congratulations on your first image. Couple comments to make #2 ten times better (if seeing permits):

2. Use a ROI (Region of Interest) around the planet. This will increase your frame rate and decrease stacking time

3. If you're having trouble keeping the planet in the FOV, enable autoguiding - connect the ASI224MC to the ST4 port on your mount and tell FC to use it

6. Might want to add an ADC, tune it in color mode, then capture in RAW (preferably SER)

7. Processing flow could be stack (AutoStakkert), followed by wavelets and color adjustment (Registax)

8. As you advance, you'll find yourself hankering for a hands-off Crayford-style focuser, too

9. Make sure you're using an IR-cut filter with the ASI224MC - it's sensitive enough in IR it can blow out visual wavelength data

10. Spend a lot of time waiting for good seeing. Once you've experienced it, you'll be ruined for the rest of your days.

Thank you everyone for the comments and thank you for the tips! I look forward to giving this another go the next time I have a free night. 

#18 kbev

kbev

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far, far east Mesa

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:16 PM

As far as the resolution issue, I found a decent workaround a while back.  Check out this thread in post #6:

https://www.cloudyni...fore/?p=8197136

#19 moonwatching ferret

moonwatching ferret

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:31 AM

Thank you everyone for the comments and thank you for the tips! I look forward to giving this another go the next time I have a free night. 

i had serious as ia pin point star in my 13mm nag last night and no bad turbulence to speak of when i racked it in or out of focus . aso with the asi 224 and 2x barlow. which more then likely ment exceptional seeing. when i woke up early it was cloudy bangbang.gif  tonight its clouds and was drizlingfrown.gif

#20 PowerM3

PowerM3

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:01 PM

As far as the resolution issue, I found a decent workaround a while back.  Check out this thread in post #6:

https://www.cloudyni...fore/?p=8197136

kbev thank you so much! The scale is now perfect!

• kbev likes this

#21 JupiterOwl

JupiterOwl

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

Don't get discouraged, except for the fact you don't get the worst first picture of Jupiter award.  I'll take those honors for now with this quick try at Jupiter when I was really trying to get some of my first shots of the moon last week.  EdgeHD 8" with a QHY183C at prime focus.  No time for ADC or the barlow, and seeing was also very poor.  Even worse was the out of focus image.  Your focus was much better at the very least.  Keep reading the posts on this forum and you'll do well.

attachicon.gif CN First Jupiter.jpg

gallery_270612_7538_839.jpg

Mine's worse, mine's worse! It's worse than yours and Kevin's. I win, I win bounce.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics