•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

trouble with shutter release on camera

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BABOafrica

BABOafrica

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Nairobi (Kenya)

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:10 AM

Perfect weather, perfect polar alignment, no moon, ready for a wonderful AP session ... and my intervalometer fails.

My intervalometer came loose from its position on the mount and fell. It yanked the micro-USB connector to camera so hard that it broke. So the intervalometer itself is working fine. It never touched the ground! I just can't connect it to my Fujifilm X-A1 camera because the micro USB plug broke.

This is my SHOOT intervalometer for a Fujifilm X-A1 DSLR:  Shoot IV for X-A1.JPG

The micro USB cable for connecting the camera to my laptop still works fine—so I’m sure nothing is broken in the camera itself. What’s broken is the plug on the intevalometer cable.

Since it's no longer working, I took the plug apart (i.e., the micro USB connector for the intervalometer) to see what the connections were. There are three wires: red - white – black. This picture shows the 3 wires that come from the intervalometer:

Shoot IV for X-A1 - wires.JPG

According to what I saw when taking apart the old micro plug, I am sure that the red wire goes to the #1 pin and the white to the #2 pin (according to this diagram).

micro_usb_pinout_271738117322_640x360.jpg

The black wire from the intervalometer, oddly enough, did not connect to any pin but was soldered onto the casing of the micro USB plug.

I got a new micro USB plug (aka USB male connector) and made the connections. I soldered the red wire of the intervalometer to the #1 pin, the white to the #2 pin and the black to the casing of the plug.

(Well, more accurately, I soldered the red wire from the intervalometer to the red wire of the new USB micro plug and checked to make sure the #1 pin was electrically connected to the red wire from the intervalometer, etc.)

After making the three connections, I plugged the new plug into the camera and turned on the camera.

The camera seems to recognize the fact that it is now connected to something (I’ll explain in a minute) but the intervalometer does NOT trigger a shutter release (even though I am sure it is connected to the camera the same way it was connected before the old plug broke).

Curiously, there is something happening between intervalometer and camera.

When the camera is OFF and intervalometer ON, then the voltage across #1 & #2 pins is 0.4V

..............................................................................................voltage across #2 pin & Ground (black wire) is 0.4V

..............................................................................................while V = 0 across all other pins.

When the camera is ON  and intervalometer ON, the voltage across the #1 & #2 pins is 1.8V

......................................................................................voltage across #2 pin & Ground (black wire) is 1.8V

.............................................................................while V = 0 across all other pins.

If the camera is ON but the intervalometer is OFF, V = 0 across all pins (ground included).

If anyone has advice, I would be happy to get it.

You’ll probably say, just buy a new one… It’s only $12 on eBay. Yeah, fine. But this is Africa. And it will take two months for the new one to arrive. In the meantime, I am hoping to get the intervalometer up and running. So any advice would be appreciated.

Joe

#2 Gipht

Gipht

Apollo

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:32 AM

I have  one that is a wireless remote which helps with the already too many  wires.  Their is the controller and a receiver fits in the hot shoe  slot on top of the camera.  Mine is made by Pixel  and they call it a wireless remote timer control.

• BABOafrica likes this

#3 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Cosmos

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:59 AM

http://www.doc-diy.n.../remote_pinout/

Go down to Fujifilm RR-90

• BABOafrica likes this

#4 BABOafrica

BABOafrica

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:23 AM

I have  one that is a wireless remote which helps with the already too many  wires.  Their is the controller and a receiver fits in the hot shoe  slot on top of the camera.  Mine is made by Pixel  and they call it a wireless remote timer control.

I would love to get one of these. But I need something that is compatible with a FUJIFILM X series camera.

As far as I can tell, the PIXEL remote can only be used with Canon, Nikon,  Pentax & Samsung cameras.

Joe

#5 BABOafrica

BABOafrica

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:48 AM

http://www.doc-diy.n.../remote_pinout/

Go down to Fujifilm RR-90

Yeah, I saw that. But not sure how it helps me solve my problem.

Any insight on that?

Joe

#6 BABOafrica

BABOafrica

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:02 AM

I signed up for the FUJI - X forum. They will probably give me the best advice.

Thanks,

Joe

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics