•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Abell 33, the diamond ring nebula

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bill w

bill w

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: southern california

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:23 AM

Hi all long time no post, have spent much time flailing away at planetary (the other kind) imaging and with more success at last year's eclipse (images at my blog). 

Here's Abell 33, a spherical planetary nebula with a bright foreground star conveniently superimposed on the edge, providing the "diamond" for the ring:

Abell-33-OIII-RGB-800w.jpg

The small blue star in the center is the white dwarf creating the nebula.  A close up of the RGB version (upsampled 2x) shows a hint of a second star to the lower right.  This is likely a visual double, as a double central star should (in theory with rare exception) create a bipolar, rather than a spherical nebula.

Abell-33-RGB-2x-800c.jpg

The RGB image shows two other things:
1. how faint the nebula is, as it was barely detectable on the RGB image, requiring narrow band filters to bring it out.
2. how bright the "diamond" star is as it created a "bloom" on my ABG camera. 
should have shot the RGB unbinned to better resolve the central star and minimize blooming.

apparently a currently open issue in astronomy is whether the ratio of PN central double stars matches that of the general stellar population.  there are several recent surveys which address this, and may confirm my supposition, but i don't have access to them.

The binary fraction of planetary nebula central stars - II. A larger sample and improved technique for the infrared excess search

The binary fraction of planetary nebula central stars: the promise of VPHAS+

I did take a few trial Ha shots, but got only extremely faint signal in a circle, matching the OIII, but without detail. 

image details and larger size at the blog

thanks to derek/schmeah for bringing this one to my attention with his 2016 post

Edited by bill w, 14 February 2018 - 03:17 AM.

• PrestonE, Gregory, Joe F Gafford and 17 others like this

#2 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:56 PM

Love this nebula, nicely imaged!

#3 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: O'Fallon, MO

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:21 PM

Nice work. I'd like to try to catch this one as well but I have a feeling I'll get blooming with my KAF-8300 as well on the binned colors.

Dan

#4 schmeah

schmeah

Aurora

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:50 PM

Excellent shot Bill!  I had a lot of fun with this target.

Derek

#5 Vassar1978

Vassar1978

Mariner 2

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:38 AM

Excellent shot and explanation, thanks!

Rowland

#6 bill w

bill w

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: southern california

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:04 AM

thanks for the comments

maybe the bloom adds to the diamond effect ;)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics