•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ZEQ25 ASCOM Meridian Flip?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brian_S

Brian_S

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: West Lafayette, IN

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:37 PM

Hi, All.

I recently "automated" my ZEQ25 so I can image from the comfort of my living room. I am using ASCOM Driver 2013 V3.11, connected to SkyTools3 Pro. The issue is that the scope does not perform a meridian flip, but drives into the tripod leg when I use this combo (it flips without a problem if I am just using the hand controller). Does anyone know if this version of the ASCOM driver supports meridian flip?  If not, I guess I could use EQMOD, which has this capability.

Any help much appreciated.

All the best,

Brian

#2 Real14

Real14

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:34 PM

Hi, All.

I recently "automated" my ZEQ25 so I can image from the comfort of my living room. I am using ASCOM Driver 2013 V3.11, connected to SkyTools3 Pro. The issue is that the scope does not perform a meridian flip, but drives into the tripod leg when I use this combo (it flips without a problem if I am just using the hand controller). Does anyone know if this version of the ASCOM driver supports meridian flip?  If not, I guess I could use EQMOD, which has this capability.

Any help much appreciated.

All the best,

Brian

I have not done that but perhaps not having it activated in the handbox could be the problem ?

Rainer

Edited by Real14, 13 February 2018 - 01:41 PM.

• xiando likes this

#3 Brian_S

Brian_S

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for the reply, Rainer. It is activated in the handbox. It appears that the ASCOM driver takes control of certain handbox functions, but I don't have information to support this conjecture. iOptron technical support told me that they do not know if the ASCOM driver supports meridian flip on the ZEQ 25 (it does on some of their more advanced mounts). I was hoping someone here might have more information or experience with this issue.

Thanks again and all the best,

Brian

• Real14 likes this

#4 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Messenger

• Loc: Orem, Utah, USA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

I think there was a thread about this a while back, and conclusion was it couldn't flip.  The result of the conversation was that a custom process was used so that as you reach the meridian, you choose a different target on the other side of the meridian, which causes the mount to "flip" without doing an ascom flip.  Then you reselect your initial target and it goes back to it.  This was all done automated with plate solving, a control/pointing program, etc.  I forget which thread it was in though, so I can't give all the details.  Sorry.  But, apparently you can work around the limitation.

Edited by Chuckwagon, 13 February 2018 - 05:10 PM.

#5 Brian_S

Brian_S

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:19 PM

Charles,

Thank you for the good information. The workaround makes sense, and I'll use it next time I need to do a flip.

All the best,

Brian

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics