•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Connecting SGP To Celestron AVX Mount

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mako_reactor

mako_reactor

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:55 PM

In order to have SGP communicate with my Celestron AVX mount, is the following the correct setup??

1. Have Celestron NexStar RS-232 connecting to AUX1 port on the mount.

2. Connect the Celestron NexStar RS-232 to the Celestron USB to RS-232

3. Have the Celestron USB to RS-232 connected to my laptop via the ASCOM driver.

#2 Goofi

Goofi

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Coastal Southern California

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

I had to go out to my mount and verify before posting this. Also, I have a 1st generation AVX and I understand some of the current ones have a different hand controller. So ....

I have my hand controller plugged into the Hand Controller port on my AVX. At the bottom of the hand controller is the data port connection - I have the usb-serial cable thingy (It's two cabled connected, one plugs into the laptop USB port, the other into the hand controller data port and they meet/connect in the middle) plugged into that.

Also, you need to select the Celestron Device when you choose mounts in SGP.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:28 PM

AUX ports are NOT RS232 serial ports. They are not to be used for connectivity to PCs and such. They allow specific devices to connect to the internal bus that interconnects the hand controller and the motor controllers (devices such as the SkyPortal wifi adapter, the Celestron GPS unit, an AUX port expansion unit, etc.). 

AUX ports are 6 pin RJ sockets and as such only RJ12 type of connections should be used (hint - the Celestron HC serial cable uses a 4 pin RJ22 connector).

Connected inappropriate devices to an AUX port is a quick way to start letting the magic smoke out of the mount and lightening your wallet. 

For some more info on your mount's connectivity options have a look at Mike Swansons great website - www.nexstarsite.com

#4 Stelios

Stelios

Aurora

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:42 PM

If you have a phone plug on the bottom of your hand control: Connect the phone-to-RS232 cable there. Then connect the RS232-to-USB cable to the first cable (on the RS232 M-F side) and to your computer USB port on the other side. 

If you have a usb port on the bottom of your hand control: Just connect straight to a computer USB port (or to a hub).

You always connect the handcontrol. The brains are in the handcontrol--it's the mount's "computer." 

In SGP you find the Celestron device driver. You may have to specify the port (if it suggests something, it's 99% correct, else use the Device Manager).

#5 mako_reactor

mako_reactor

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:56 PM

If you have a phone plug on the bottom of your hand control: Connect the phone-to-RS232 cable there. Then connect the RS232-to-USB cable to the first cable (on the RS232 M-F side) and to your computer USB port on the other side. 

If you have a usb port on the bottom of your hand control: Just connect straight to a computer USB port (or to a hub).

You always connect the handcontrol. The brains are in the handcontrol--it's the mount's "computer." 

In SGP you find the Celestron device driver. You may have to specify the port (if it suggests something, it's 99% correct, else use the Device Manager).

Thanks for the feedback! My controller has a phone jack, so I guess I have an older model.

#6 elinchrom

elinchrom

Sputnik

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:33 PM

Here is how I used to connect CGEM:

CGEM ---> HC port ---> HC --- > 6P 4P RJ-22/ DB9 cable ---> Serial to USB cable ----> PC/Laptop.

In PC/Laptop, install a copy of NexRemote and Celestron mount ASCOM driver.

Connect NexRemote to the physical COM port and set the "virtual COM" port like COM8 or COM9.

SGPro setting:

Select "Celestron Telescope Driver" from the Telescope tab in Equipment Profile Manager and set it to the virtual COM port number in the NexRemote above.

I would think AVX's setting should not be too much different than CGEM.

Edited by elinchrom, 14 February 2018 - 09:52 AM.

#7 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:45 AM

elinchrom, You actually didn't use a 6P/DB9 cable, the Celestron HC serial cable is a 4P/DB9 cable. The little RJ connector on the bottom of the HC is an 4 pin RJ22 and not the larger 6pin RJ12/11 connector.

Reminder to others who just want to just control their mounts that you don't necessarily have to use the NexRemote software, you could have just ASCOM, the Celestron mount device driver, and SGP (or any other suitable planetarium/scope control app) on the PC.

• Stelios and elinchrom like this

#8 elinchrom

elinchrom

Sputnik

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:56 AM

Thank you Mark for the correction, I thought the connector is a smaller one (RJ22)... wasn't RJ11 though and it is indeed 4P.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics