•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Upgrade to Losmandy High-Torque motors worth it?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 StephenW

StephenW

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:48 PM

Hi,

I have a TMB 152 mounted on Parallax HD150 running Gemini 1, running the original (non-Maxon) servo motors.  The motors work just fine and have no issues moving the scope/camera etc around, as long as they are well balanced.  Lately though I have been switching between different configurations (e.g. adding/removing a heavy focal reducer) and if I'm not careful re-balancing, I hit motor lags.

I'm wondering if anyone has done an upgrade from the original servo motors to the new "high-torque" motors?  Did you notice a significant change/improvement?

And does anyone know what the actual torque specs of the original and new motors are?  I've been unable to find those specs anywhere.  It would be nice to know just how much more "high-torque" the new motors are! (are we talking 10% improvement? 50%?).

Thanks in advance for any info you may have!

Steve

(p.s. Haven't done so yet, but yes I will post on the Gemini/Losmandy Y! groups if I can't figure it out with CNs help :)

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Vanguard

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:06 PM

I have my G11 "overloaded", but well balanced.  To keep things under control I have the slew and go-to speeds down at either 600 or 800.  I don't have stalls.

I called or e-mailed Losmandy once, and Scott sent me the output torque of the Maxon motors once.  I don't remember the value now, but I bet Scott does.

• Real14 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics