•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

large file sizes from raw photos

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:14 PM

Most of my imaging is done with a Sony a7ll camera. In my light polluted neighborhood I often take anywhere from 40 to a few hundred short exposure photos.

I run them through either Lynkeos or Photomatics pro. If I am doing 3 to 10 second exposures I use Lynkeos. I use Photomatics pro for longer exposures. My

problem is the files sizes. My camera has 50 mb's of data per photo in raw. Put a hundred of those in a program and things either go very slowly or my software

crashes. I have 16 mb's of ram and a flash hard drive on my mac. I don't know whether it is a hardware problem or a software problem. I am wondering if I should

not use raw all the time on my camera. Any Ideas would be appreciated.

#2 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:18 PM

I don't know what Lynkeos or Photomatics are.  PixInsight stores the intermediate results on disk rather than in RAM when processing and stacking pictures.  I presume you've checked that your hard disk isn't full.

#3 CableGuy

CableGuy

Vostok 1

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:34 PM

Upgrade the memory, or is it maxed on your MAC already?

I was having issues running intensive programs on an I7 laptop , it wasnt crashing but seriously lagging. I maxed out my system memory and installed a 2nd SS hard drive. I keep system files / progs running on one drive (the solid state drive) while keeping everything else on the 2nd drive, including scratch disks (space used for temp files) that programs like DSS, Photoshop and Pixinsight use while processing your photos.

#4 gralydolphin

gralydolphin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:40 PM

Why not try using JPEG files instead of raw?

#5 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:42 PM

Astronomical image processing (dark frame subtraction, etc.) cannot be done with JPEGs.

#6 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:01 PM

Upgrade the memory, or is it maxed on your MAC already?

I was having issues running intensive programs on an I7 laptop , it wasnt crashing but seriously lagging. I maxed out my system memory and installed a 2nd SS hard drive. I keep system files / progs running on one drive (the solid state drive) while keeping everything else on the 2nd drive, including scratch disks (space used for temp files) that programs like DSS, Photoshop and Pixinsight use while processing your photos.

The ram I put in my mac is now 8 times as much as it was when new. I think that is the max. I also put in a 500 gig SS hard drive. Before the upgrade I could barely process one raw photo without having to get up and do something else while waiting for it to finish. Did you say you installed a second SS hard drive? How do you do that? 

#7 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:03 PM

I don't know what Lynkeos or Photomatics are.  PixInsight stores the intermediate results on disk rather than in RAM when processing and stacking pictures.  I presume you've checked that your hard disk isn't full.

Hard drive is 60% empty. Does PixInsight work on macs?

Edited by Jeffmar, 13 February 2018 - 11:43 PM.

#8 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 14 February 2018 - 12:08 AM

Hard drive is 60% empty. Does PixInsight work on macs?

I believe so.  It is specifically for astronomy.  Learning to use it is non-trivial but worth it.

#9 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Voyager 1

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:46 AM

PixInsight works on Macs.  I found this book to be the easiest way to learn it.

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/3319256807

jpgs have been brought up.  jpg files are small because the data has been approximated.  That simply won't work for astrophotography, where you're sometimes dealing with extremely small signals.

• Michael Covington likes this

#10 CableGuy

CableGuy

Vostok 1

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:14 AM

There is also a chance your computer is effected my some system robbing trojan, mail-ware, spy-ware. I am fairly sure Mac are not immune these things.

What are the specs of your MAC

#11 AbPho

AbPho

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:28 AM

Photomatrix PRO is for editing HDR images.  Not sure how this is used for your astro images.

I run an iMac.  I was using a 2009 entry level model with 16GB of RAM.  I was running Photoshop and PixInsight on it.  No crashing.  Reinstall the OS and start fresh.  If that doesn't work then maybe your system is too old and it's time to upgrade. 

• Jeffmar likes this

#12 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:20 PM

Photomatrix PRO is for editing HDR images.  Not sure how this is used for your astro images.

I run an iMac.  I was using a 2009 entry level model with 16GB of RAM.  I was running Photoshop and PixInsight on it.  No crashing.  Reinstall the OS and start fresh.  If that doesn't work then maybe your system is too old and it's time to upgrade. 

My Macbook pro is a 2011 model. I think I said 16MB of ram but I believe I should have said 16GB. I will try reloading the OS. I have also heard older machines do better with older operating systems. I might try reloading an older OS if I can.

#13 ismosi

ismosi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New London, Pennsylvania, USA

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

My Macbook pro is a 2011 model. I think I said 16MB of ram but I believe I should have said 16GB. I will try reloading the OS. I have also heard older machines do better with older operating systems. I might try reloading an older OS if I can.

PixInsight is not supported on versions of OS X older than 10.10. It *may* run on 10.9 or 10.8 and will not run on 10.7 or older.

https://pixinsight.c...sreq/index.html

• Jeffmar likes this

#14 AbPho

AbPho

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:35 PM

I had a 2009 running OS X 10.12 (Sierra).  Jeffmar's 2011 Macbook Pro would be fine in that regard.

• Jeffmar likes this

#15 KLWalsh

KLWalsh

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Georgia, USA

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:00 PM

Astronomical image processing (dark frame subtraction, etc.) cannot be done with JPEGs.

I'm pretty sure that Deep Sky Stacker will accept jpg files for flats, darks and bias frames. It seems to work when I've used it that way.
You lose some gray scale resolution with jpgs vs raw; and you can dig a signal out of a raw file that might be lost in a jpg; but if the goal is to post the image on a social media site, it's going to have to be converted to jpg anyway.
  • Jeffmar likes this

#16 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

Thanks everybody for your ideas. Occasionally I wonder why I keep doing the astrophotography thing. Nothing is particularly easy about this hobby. Constraints of time, technical issues, freezing cold, light polluted neighborhoods, and atmospheric conditions to name a few problems make astrophotography challenging to say the least. Oh, I forgot the steep learning curve of this activity.undecided.gif 

Now and then I get some really nice photos I can be proud of. It is a bit like the lure of slot machines. That intermittent reward really pulls us in.grin.gif

#17 AbPho

AbPho

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

Depressing isn't it
  • Jeffmar likes this

#18 CableGuy

CableGuy

Vostok 1

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:04 PM

Thanks everybody for your ideas. Occasionally I wonder why I keep doing the astrophotography thing. Nothing is particularly easy about this hobby. Constraints of time, technical issues, freezing cold, light polluted neighborhoods, and atmospheric conditions to name a few problems make astrophotography challenging to say the least. Oh, I forgot the steep learning curve of this activity.undecided.gif

Now and then I get some really nice photos I can be proud of. It is a bit like the lure of slot machines. That intermittent reward really pulls us in.grin.gif

You can ship all of the following equipment to me;

C11 edge and a vintage C11

C8 edge and an Orion 80mm ED refractor

CGEM and a CGX mount on a CGE pro tripod

Some Pentax, Teleview, and various plossl eyepieces with a few barlows

Orion binoviewer with 20mm 66 degree eyepieces

Two Alpen 8x42 binoculars

Sony A7m2 camera which is a pretty decent astrophotography camera

Adjustable astronomy chair from Orion

and you will not have to worry about being down anymore.

• Jeffmar likes this

#19 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 February 2018 - 01:18 PM

You can ship all of the following equipment to me;

C11 edge and a vintage C11

C8 edge and an Orion 80mm ED refractor

CGEM and a CGX mount on a CGE pro tripod

Some Pentax, Teleview, and various plossl eyepieces with a few barlows

Orion binoviewer with 20mm 66 degree eyepieces

Two Alpen 8x42 binoculars

Sony A7m2 camera which is a pretty decent astrophotography camera

Adjustable astronomy chair from Orion

and you will not have to worry about being down anymore.

Thanks CableGuy! That is an incredibly generous offer.lol.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics