•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Processing with Narrowband filters

astrophotography dslr imaging
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 javaruba

javaruba

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:12 PM

Hi all,

I've been imaging deep-space objects for a while now using mostly my Explore Scientific ED 102mm APO combined with a modified Canon Rebel T3i and attached a Skytech cls-ccd filter. This combination is great for H-alpha regions such as the Rosette nebula, Heart/ Soul nebula, etc. However, I am still missing most of the green and blue characteristics of most DSO's. Therefore, I wanted to begin using Oiii and Siii filters and see if I can still capture some of the blue/ green in my light polluted sky.

I've been using mostly DeepSkyStacker and Photoshop for my processing and don't have any clue how should to combine Ha, Oiii and Siii images in Photoshop. 

Any guidance on this part if highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jairo

#2 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:27 PM

>>>>> don't have any clue how should to combine Ha, Oiii and Siii images in Photoshop.

The same way you have been doing it with RGB or LRGB. There are several ways to do that, but whatever way you use will work also with narrowband.

At some point, you assign color to your different grayscale images in RGB. You need to do the same with narrowband. But, you ask, what is red, or blue, or green? That, my friend, is something you have to decide. Depending on the impression you want to make, you can make Ha red, green, or blue. Same for S2 and O3. Or you can mix portions of each and assign them different colors.  It is up to you.

I would suggest you look over here:

https://starizona.co...dvimnarrow.aspx

Alex

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, dslr, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics