•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Flats failed - can anyone save my session?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke

Apollo

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:17 PM

FYI: After trying to process another image and failing again (even when I took flats before and after an imaging session), I decided to take everything apart and clean it again to see if I could eliminate as much dust as possible to keep this from happening again. In doing so, I finally found the underlying cause. Samara was right - something was spinning, namely: My filters! I use 1.25" filters screwed into the filter wheel. They were all loose just rolling back and forth in the screw-in threads of the filter wheel.

I took about 800 mostly 180 second of the Draco Triplet and I think it's toast, as I was having terrible issues getting the central galaxy's halo to appear and there's a chunk of dust right in the middle of it. I tried my Fitswork process and it didn't really work. Oh well - my next image should be fine at least! Thanks again for everyone's help!

I'm so glad you were able to find the culprit, it took me at least a couple of months when I had the issue with my focuser, it was subtle, VERY subtle so it was hard to troubleshoot so I'm glad yours was an obvious issue. Don't worry about the lost subs, it's all part of the experience. Good luck and clear skies!

#27 happylimpet

happylimpet

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 08 May 2018 - 07:16 AM

I just wanted to share my final image with everyone who helped me out here, particularly "happylimpet" as Fitswork is what I ultimately used to fix this one. Full resolution is available here: https://www.astrobin.com/338207/

Hooray! Delighted to have helped. Thats a lovely image.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics